“In Pain, bad back, painful knees” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hampton Inn Memphis-Walnut Grove/Baptist Hospital East

Save Saved
You added Hampton Inn Memphis-Walnut Grove/Baptist Hospital East to your Saves list
Hampton Inn Memphis-Walnut Grove/Baptist Hospital East
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   33 Humphreys Center Drive, Memphis, TN 38120   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #32 of 134 hotels in Memphis
Southeastern United States
“In Pain, bad back, painful knees”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

This is the best location for those of us with medical appointments in the area.
We requested a handicap room. No problem, a room was available, on the 4th floor.
But, the night we were guests, a terrible wind and rain storm hit the area.
We were on the 4th floor. We could not have walked down 4 floors of stairs in an emergency.
Hip replacement out of joint. Did I need to explain our disability to the booking agent? I don't know about that.
We are not in wheelchairs, but we do need to be closer to the ground floor, if we have to go down stairs. The shower was so difficult to usel The light next to my side of the bed was not plugged in. Had to use my cell phone flashlight to get to the bathroom and also check on the bad tornado type weather. Lovely entrance area, very boutique appointed. Yogurt was frozen, could not eat it,
had to leave it. Wasteful. We eat heart healthy. Few good selections. Let's do some whole grain bread selections, butter alternatives, waffles - please!, Take a look at your client base. Let's eat healthy - fruits and vegetables. Blessed to be in an area that all our medical needs can be addressed. Hampton Inn is a great product.

Room Tip: Tell the booking agent your handicap. we would have gone to the emergency room, if we had had to wal...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Ashley D, General Manager at Hampton Inn Memphis-Walnut Grove/Baptist Hospital East, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Thank you for your comments. I understand your concerns being on the 4th floor. We will most certainly keep this in mind in the future. I am so sorry about the lamp not being plugged into the wall. I have addressed the importance of this with my staff and sure they will pay closer attention. What would you specifically like to see on our breakfast bar? I'd love to hear about and try some new ideas. Again, thank you for taking time to let us know how your stay was. I hope to see you again soon.
Regards,
Ashley

167 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Winston Salem, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

this Hampton Inn at Baptist Hospital in Memphis is wonderful if you are staying
with a patient there. It is a quick walk, but while I was there it was sleeting and cold.
They have a complimentary shuttle service right to the hospital lobby and it runs
any hour of the day or night. I could stay as late as I wanted and return as early as
I needed to, and the drivers were always courteous and friendly. The hotel, itself, is
not "brand new", but very clean, with a typical hotel breakfast provided.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for your comments. I will pass them along to our staff. Look forward to seeing you again soon.
Ashley
Creede, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

I am Hilton Diamond Member who travels >200 days a year. I have stayed here many times but with the change in management things have gotten really bad. I wrote a compliant to the BBB about somethings that had happened here and now when ever I book a reservation they cancel it.

During my last stay they had a mental patient screaming in the halls at night and threatening to harm the guests. He then flooded the floor and rooms on the ground floor including mine with water by backing up the toilet and bathtubs. This continued for several days and my spouse who was traveling with me became very frightened on several nights. (Picture 2 am being awoken by screaming for hours in the hall) When we asked management about this they acknowledged that patients receiving psychiatric treatment where staying in the hotel. Although they were supposed to have nurses with them some did not. When asked why they were allowed to stay the manager said that the hotel needed the money.

I reported the hotel for health and safety violations to Hilton and the BBB. As a result my I have apparently been banned from the hotel. Stay at your own risk.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Ashley D, General Manager at Hampton Inn Memphis-Walnut Grove/Baptist Hospital East, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Without going into any detail, please know that Mr. Siddel has registered numerous complaints both directly with the hotel, the Better Business Bureau and with the hotel’s franchisor pertaining to his many stays at this hotel, each of which was addressed with him and resolved to the best of our ability. Regrettably, hotel management has come to the conclusion that we would not be able to satisfy Mr. Siddel and he was advised that this hotel would no longer be accepting reservations for him, although we have routinely assisted him in getting reservations at other nearby Hilton hotels. Please know that both ownership and management of this hotel are fully aware of this matter and would be more than happy to speak to Mr. Siddel directly if he wishes to contact us further.
Saint Louis, Missouri, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

This hotel was sold out the weekend that we were in Memphis due to several sports tournaments! However, we would would have never guessed it by the way we were treated by the staff. This hotel is the perfect example of southern hospitality at its finest! They were never to busy to say hi or be of assistance. Whether it was directions or a restaurant recommendation, they truly made you feel as though it was their pleasure to help! The staff was top notch! The hotel was clean and well kept! This hotel offers small town charm within the heart of Memphis! I would definitely recommend it to anyone heading out that direction!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Ashley D, General Manager at Hampton Inn Memphis-Walnut Grove/Baptist Hospital East, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Thank you! I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay at the Hampton Walnut Grove. Our goal is to make sure your every need is addressed and to make sure you are a happy guest. I hope to see you back again soon! Again, thank you for your comments, I will forward them to my staff. Happy New Year!
St. Louis, MO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

We stayed here with my daughter's soccer team for a College Showcase. Unfortunately, it rained all weekend and the girl's were playing in the pouring rain and mud. The hotel was so nice to offer to wash the girl's uniforms between games since there was no guest laundry on-site. They also allowed us late check-out on our departure date because the girl's had a game that morning and it allowed us the time for the girl's to come back and shower and change into dry clothes. Thank you, thank you soooo much for the extra customer service!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Ashley D, General Manager at Hampton Inn Memphis-Walnut Grove/Baptist Hospital East, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Thank you for your kind comments. We strive to make sure our guests are taken care of and I am so pleased we took care of you. I look forward to seeing you next time you visit Memphis. Again, thank you!!
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

We stayed here over thanksgiving, not the best time for an english family as there isn't much going on! Staff very helpful, but the rooms needed some TLC. Parents room had some drywall repair, but not painted, and the bits that had been repainted were pretty obvious! Shower needed some upgrading.

There was no maid service on thanksgiving, which surprised me, although this may be the norm. Several rooms were taken by medical staff in scrubs as the hospital is next door. Don't know if this is normal and they use them as on call rooms or again, just because it was thanksgiving.

Asst general manager was helpful in finding us somewhere to eat thanksgiving evening. Breakfast wasn't as good as some Hampton inns we have stayed at.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at the Hampton Inn Walnut Grove Memphis. I want you to know I value your comments and am committed to act on them. I do hope your next visist to Memphis you return to our hotel so we can WOW you and show you we don't just listen to our guests comments, we ACT on them. Again, thank you and I look forward to seeing you again.
Tahlequah, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

Met up with family for a weekend of shopping at Memphis and stayed at this Hampton for 2 nights. I have never had a bad experience with Hampton/Hilton. The staff was friendly and helpful, the rooms were clean, beds very comfortable, good wifi, and the rooms although a somewhat older hotel, the rooms were fairly updated. I had never stayed in Memphis and wanted a safe location. This location is on the East side of Memphis next to the Baptist Hospital, and very safe. Quiet tucked away hotel. It is very close to I-240 and I-40 and near many good shopping centers. The value was great! I pre-paid and the room rate was around $60 a night. If going back to Memphis I will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: If your trip to Memphis is for "Downtown" events, this hotel is not close in location. Bu...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
I am so happy you were satisfied with our hotel. We look forward to serving you again and again very soon!! Thank you for your comments!

Been to Hampton Inn Memphis-Walnut Grove/Baptist Hospital East? Share your experiences!