“Hotel Cancelled My Reservation Because of a Bad Review” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hampton Inn Memphis-Walnut Grove/Baptist Hospital East

You added Hampton Inn Memphis-Walnut Grove/Baptist Hospital East to your Saves list
Hampton Inn Memphis-Walnut Grove/Baptist Hospital East
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   33 Humphreys Center Drive, Memphis, TN 38120   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 10% with AARP
Ranked #32 of 134 Hotels in Memphis
Creede, Colorado
“Hotel Cancelled My Reservation Because of a Bad Review”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

I am Hilton Diamond Member who travels >200 days a year. I have stayed here many times but with the change in management things have gotten really bad. I wrote a compliant to the BBB about somethings that had happened here and now when ever I book a reservation they cancel it.

During my last stay they had a mental patient screaming in the halls at night and threatening to harm the guests. He then flooded the floor and rooms on the ground floor including mine with water by backing up the toilet and bathtubs. This continued for several days and my spouse who was traveling with me became very frightened on several nights. (Picture 2 am being awoken by screaming for hours in the hall) When we asked management about this they acknowledged that patients receiving psychiatric treatment where staying in the hotel. Although they were supposed to have nurses with them some did not. When asked why they were allowed to stay the manager said that the hotel needed the money.

I reported the hotel for health and safety violations to Hilton and the BBB. As a result my I have apparently been banned from the hotel. Stay at your own risk.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Ashley D, General Manager at Hampton Inn Memphis-Walnut Grove/Baptist Hospital East, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Without going into any detail, please know that Mr. Siddel has registered numerous complaints both directly with the hotel, the Better Business Bureau and with the hotel’s franchisor pertaining to his many stays at this hotel, each of which was addressed with him and resolved to the best of our ability. Regrettably, hotel management has come to the conclusion that we would not be able to satisfy Mr. Siddel and he was advised that this hotel would no longer be accepting reservations for him, although we have routinely assisted him in getting reservations at other nearby Hilton hotels. Please know that both ownership and management of this hotel are fully aware of this matter and would be more than happy to speak to Mr. Siddel directly if he wishes to contact us further.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Saint Louis, Missouri, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

This hotel was sold out the weekend that we were in Memphis due to several sports tournaments! However, we would would have never guessed it by the way we were treated by the staff. This hotel is the perfect example of southern hospitality at its finest! They were never to busy to say hi or be of assistance. Whether it was directions or a restaurant recommendation, they truly made you feel as though it was their pleasure to help! The staff was top notch! The hotel was clean and well kept! This hotel offers small town charm within the heart of Memphis! I would definitely recommend it to anyone heading out that direction!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Ashley D, General Manager at Hampton Inn Memphis-Walnut Grove/Baptist Hospital East, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Thank you! I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay at the Hampton Walnut Grove. Our goal is to make sure your every need is addressed and to make sure you are a happy guest. I hope to see you back again soon! Again, thank you for your comments, I will forward them to my staff. Happy New Year!
St. Louis, MO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

We stayed here with my daughter's soccer team for a College Showcase. Unfortunately, it rained all weekend and the girl's were playing in the pouring rain and mud. The hotel was so nice to offer to wash the girl's uniforms between games since there was no guest laundry on-site. They also allowed us late check-out on our departure date because the girl's had a game that morning and it allowed us the time for the girl's to come back and shower and change into dry clothes. Thank you, thank you soooo much for the extra customer service!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Ashley D, General Manager at Hampton Inn Memphis-Walnut Grove/Baptist Hospital East, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Thank you for your kind comments. We strive to make sure our guests are taken care of and I am so pleased we took care of you. I look forward to seeing you next time you visit Memphis. Again, thank you!!
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

We stayed here over thanksgiving, not the best time for an english family as there isn't much going on! Staff very helpful, but the rooms needed some TLC. Parents room had some drywall repair, but not painted, and the bits that had been repainted were pretty obvious! Shower needed some upgrading.

There was no maid service on thanksgiving, which surprised me, although this may be the norm. Several rooms were taken by medical staff in scrubs as the hospital is next door. Don't know if this is normal and they use them as on call rooms or again, just because it was thanksgiving.

Asst general manager was helpful in finding us somewhere to eat thanksgiving evening. Breakfast wasn't as good as some Hampton inns we have stayed at.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at the Hampton Inn Walnut Grove Memphis. I want you to know I value your comments and am committed to act on them. I do hope your next visist to Memphis you return to our hotel so we can WOW you and show you we don't just listen to our guests comments, we ACT on them. Again, thank you and I look forward to seeing you again.
Tahlequah, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

Met up with family for a weekend of shopping at Memphis and stayed at this Hampton for 2 nights. I have never had a bad experience with Hampton/Hilton. The staff was friendly and helpful, the rooms were clean, beds very comfortable, good wifi, and the rooms although a somewhat older hotel, the rooms were fairly updated. I had never stayed in Memphis and wanted a safe location. This location is on the East side of Memphis next to the Baptist Hospital, and very safe. Quiet tucked away hotel. It is very close to I-240 and I-40 and near many good shopping centers. The value was great! I pre-paid and the room rate was around $60 a night. If going back to Memphis I will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: If your trip to Memphis is for "Downtown" events, this hotel is not close in location. Bu...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
I am so happy you were satisfied with our hotel. We look forward to serving you again and again very soon!! Thank you for your comments!
Jackson, Mississippi
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

This hotel was booked at the last minute, so I did not expect anything great. I booked two rooms, and both were very clean. The beds were not very comfortable, and one of our rooms requested a roll away cot. The staff was extremely rude when they brought the cot up. They knocked on the door and left the cot sitting outside without even waiting to see if we answered the door. The first night, we discovered that one of the showers did not drain at all and that one of the air conditioners did not work. We did not complain since it is winter. The continental breakfast was wonderful - there was a great selection. The hotel is in a great location if you are not interested in downtown Memphis, although it isn't a far drive to downtown. Overall, the hotel is outdated, but a decent purchase for the price.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
I wanted to thank you for staying with us and your comments regarding your stay at the Hampton Inn Walnut Grove Memphis. It is so important to hear from my guests to address the positive and the negative experiences you have at my hotel. I assure you I have addressed your concerns with my staff and they as I am are committed to making sure your stay is a pleasant one and all your needs are met. Again, thank you for your comments. I hope to see you again soon.
Atlanta, GA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I was in Memphis on business with the hospital so they recommended I stay at the Hampton Inn because it is just across the parking lot from Baptist East. Based on my experience, I will stay ANYWHERE else in Memphis and drive ANY distance to avoid staying here again.
To begin with, the hotel is old and dirty. Rooms are dark and stale smelling. When I woke up the next morning after a restless sleep on the uncomfortable bed, I found a quarter and a dime in the bed along with a pair of dirty socks (none of these items were mine).
The service level was even worse. I called the front desk several times during the stay and only once did anyone answer. I almost missed my flight the next morning because the front desk mishandled calling a taxi to the airport.
I could go on, but this should be enough info to STAY AWAY from this terrible hotel!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Ashley D, General Manager at Hampton Inn Memphis-Walnut Grove/Baptist Hospital East, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
I am so sorry your stay with us was an unpleasant one. This kind of service is unacceptable to me as well. I would like to ask you to please give me a call at the hotel so I can discuss this further with you. This is not how we do business and I’d like to make it right for you. I look forward to hearing from you and again please accept my personal apology as we failed to meet your needs.

Been to Hampton Inn Memphis-Walnut Grove/Baptist Hospital East? Share your experiences!