“Great, fresh fare and wonderful staff!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 2 Restaurants in Knoydart
Cuisines: Scottish
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
“Great, fresh fare and wonderful staff!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

It's hard to top muching seafood plucked fresh from the loch, whilst soaking up the sun setting over Loch Nevis! What a place!

Visited July 2013
OldForgeKnoydart, Guest Relations Manager at The Old Forge, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review The Old Forge. we are delighted you had a great experience with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to Knoydart soon.

Yours sincerely

The Old Forge Management Team

Buckinghamshire
“Small portions? You must be kidding!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

I was amazed to see the poor reviews published recently. Small portions? - after a hard day's walking only one of us four men managed to finish their main course. No complaints about the quality of the food either. My friend's son had the same pasta dish two nights running it was that good. I was astonished to see Marston's IPA at the bar, all the way from Wiltshire, and it was excellent. Yes the prices are high but I would expect to pay a premium in a restaurant where everything has to come by boat.

I understand it is under new ownership - give them a break, it's really not that bad...

Visited June 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review The Old Forge. We welcome all feedback and look forward to welcoming you back to Knoydart again soon.

Yours sincerely

The Old Forge Management Team
Edinburgh
“A great location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

But the food's not as good as it could be...Portions are small-ish. However still an awesome experience.

Visited June 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Good food but check your bill”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in knoydart for a week and ate at the old forge 3 times

The £30 seafood platters looked fab and I'm told the mussels were the best ever, I'm veggie so stuck to the mushroom ravioli which was amazing, albeit a little pricey at £12. Was also 2 other veggie choices

The service was ok although there were only 2 waitresses who seemed run off their feet when it was busy at the weekend

On our final night there was a local band playing which gave the place a good atmosphere - and there was no collection for tips or pushing of cds like you'd get in some places

Overall I'd recommend a meal at the old forge, but check your bill as we were over-charged on wine 2 out of the 3 times we ate there

The tea room is also worth a visit, although only 1 veggie option of sweet potato & Philly for £9. My friends had the fish pie which they said was nice. Their twist on the prawn cocktail also looked fancy with huge prawns

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
London
“Britain's biggest missed opportunity!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

Taking the legendary chef Ferran Adria's advice that a long journey is the best appetiser you can wish for, I chose to walk to the Old Forge, over 3 days, with two friends. I think we were in search of culinary perfection, lured there by the promise of seafood from the loch and game from the Glens, it all sounded like a perfect combination. What we found, however, couldn't have been further from our expectations. We weren't after fancy food (no michelan smears, or garlic foam) but just simple, well cooked local food. Tragically, there seem to be barely any local ingredients that made the plates. You can see it all going wrong as soon as you walk in the door: there are no locals and it's hard to move without noticing tacky t-shirts proclaiming that this is the 'most remote pub in Britain'. The place feels badly managed - no presence of the owner but instead a team of over-worked, stressed staff tasked with the job of somehow separating the rowdy revellers from the 'restaurant'.

I've never seen anyone massacre a scallop quite in the way the Old Forge manages. I am reminded by an episode in Masterchef where Marus Wearing reprimanded one of the contestants for wasting 'nectar from the Gods'. Indeed that is how I felt at the Old Forge. Why on earth their serving these beautiful things caught on their doorstep with basmati rice and burnt leaks I'll never know. I know the venison is out of season but if the local shop next door is still selling cuts then I don't see why the only venison on the menu should be what tasted like a frozen burger from Morrisons in a stale bap bun. The menu is too big and (always a bad sign...) laminated. Not that I mind laminated menus per se but a laminated menu tells you that this is a pub that is not adapting its menu to seasonal ingredients. As my friend put it: there is absolutely no reason for them not to be growing their own veg and farming their own mussels. To run out of mussels by 8pm when you've got them on your doorstep smacks of sinful mismanagement.

One event sums up the problem with the Old Forge: in his quest for gastronomic satisfaction my friend asked the waitress what from the menu she would recommend. She thought for a while and then said "the curry's good". Oh dear. Avoid, unless it's just for a pint in which case I can recommend the Glenfinnan Gold, that's one local ingredient even they can't make a balls of.

• Visited June 2013