“Ledgowan Lodge Bunkhouse” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Greenock, United Kingdom
“Ledgowan Lodge Bunkhouse”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

The bunkhouse has received some pretty damning reviews in the past, especially one dated March 2011). However, don't be put off. We stayed at the bunkhouse from 16th-19th July 2013 and found it perfectly acceptable by bunkhouse standards. Standards of cleanliness were fine and the toilet and kitchen facilities were perfectly acceptable (apart from the lack of small cooking pans in the kitchen which seems to be a common failing in bunkhouses). Perhaps we were fortunate that it was quiet. I can imagine it would be very different if there were a lot of campers present trying to use the facilities, but otherwise no problem.

Room Tip: Probably best to check whether there is a large party of campers on site before booking. If not then...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

My husband and I took 3 weeks to tour Scotland without any set plans. We had no idea where we would lodge on our way north. We stumbled across the Ledgowan Lodge Hotel as dusk was approaching. How lucky for us that we did. I absolutely loved the ambiance, the quiet whispers of a time gone by. The food was wonderful and the breakfast room was stunning. Our room was quiet, clean, comfortable with a lovely decor. I wish we could have stayed longer however it will go on my list to revisit next time I am in the U.K.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Saratoga Springs NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

This beautiful old hunting lodge just oozes atmosphere the minute you enter the front door and see all the hunting trophies, sweeping staircase and overstuffed furniture.

We were here for a late lunch and the lunch room although fairly small was excellently appointed and had a small bar. The pate was delicious, as was the tuna pannini.

Service was quick and efficient as well as being friendly.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Two of us stayed in the bunkhouse over a weekend for walking. I’ve got nothing to compare the bunkhouse too, this being my first stay in one. It was more than I expected though, it being comfortably warm, adequate sized beds and two chairs and a sink. The shower room is a good size and the shower was instantly hot and looks new. It is a shame there is only one shower room, we were ok as it wasn’t too busy but I can imagine if you were in a larger group it’d take time for everyone to have their chance to have their go. It's a bit noisy with other people coming and going but I imagine all bunkhouses are like that so it's nothing at fault with the place, just your fellow guests!

The hotel itself is of another era, it has a quality atmosphere too it and a definite old world character. I saw some reviews state ‘no atmosphere’ which I think is quite laughable if you compared somewhere like this to any chain hotel or most standard city hotels. There is no music playing...but you don’t need that when the rush of the wind, the wind chimes etc. are there.

The staff members were very polite and chatty and clearly wanted to help were they could.

Food was very good and I was quite impressed. I had read reviews in advance and saw comments about ‘straight from the freezer’. If they meant the ice cream I would understand it! The meal of burger, salad with a tasty chutney followed by a superbly presented Baked Alaska dessert were all tasty and on par if not better than anything you’d get in a similar establishment.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Gateshead
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

First impressions are not great as the bunkhouse is a pebble-dashed prefab, but inside the place is very pleasant and spotlessly clean. The bathroom is excellent but may prove to be inadequate if the bunkhouse is busy. My room was very clean and spacious with one bunk bed, chairs and a sink.
The kitchen in the bunkhouse was spotless and pleasant but, again, rather small. The separate dining room, I'm sure, will really help with this although on my visit there were only two others there.
I was impressed by the staff and the pleasant friendly welcome i was given I was i no way made to feel inferior inside the hotel as a "bunkhouse dweller".
A member of staff went out of his way to show me the drying room which does exist, contrary to opinions given by other reviewers.
I had a couple of beers and a bowl of chips. The beer was expensive (I thought, at close to £4 a pint) but he chips were excellent value - a huge bowl for about the same price.
Looking at the meals bought by others in the bar, they also received good value food.
Overall, I think £15.50 to stay at the bunkhouse is good value and I thoroughly recommend it as a base for budget holidaymakers, climbers and walkers..

Room Tip: If the bunkhouse is busy, a room towards the back may be quieter.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Ballinasloe, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Had a late lunch here with my family which was absolutely delicious. Very friendly, old world atmosphere, cosy bar/restaurant, good fresh draught beer, delicious food. My mum and I had scampi and chips, my husband had burger and chips, the kids had chicken and chips and my dad had fish and chips - all dishes were nicely presented and very fresh. My mum was slightly disappointed with here coffee but the quality of the draught beer makes up for that!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

Passed through often for drinks and coffee,this time we stayed.sinking into a comfy armchair with a "botanist" gin watching mature pines on a windy day is supremely relaxing.The antique decor and herd of stag's heads echo another era which is underated.service was superb.supper of duck starter followed by guinea fowl was lightly and perfectly balanced.after a good nights sleep we breakfasted like kings.

• Stayed July 2013

Been to Ledgowan Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!