“a unique treat” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Corsewall Lighthouse Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Stranraer
Corsewall Lighthouse Hotel
3.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   Corsewall Point | Kirkcolm, Stranraer DG9 0QG , Scotland   |
Ranked #5 of 28 Stranraer B&B and Inns
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“a unique treat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2008

This was our third visit to this very unusual hotel.The food and service were as excellent as during our previous experiences. This was our first time in the new Stevenson suite however and that made it even more special. The bedrooms and sitting room were huge, cosy and well appointed. The views out of the picture windows magnificent whatever the weather. We really didn't want to leave!

• Liked — service, food and views
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends

210 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
N YORKS
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2008

This was a long awaited much deserved treat for my husband and I. We were so looking forward too it, we thought it would be an anti climax. How wrong we were. This hotel, its staff, its owner, its location and everything about it is supreme. Only a professional whinger could find anything bad to say, and then they would be lying!
I do not have the words to describe well enough just how spectacular this was and only wish we had the resources to stay longer or do it again sometime soon.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
Fort William, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2008

This hotel had been recommended by some friends who know how much I enjoy good food. My husband and I wanted somewhere a bit different to celebrate our Silver Wedding Anniversary and I thought this would be ideal. The location is super and we were incredibly lucky with the weather which was fortunate as the room we stayed in was not as well appointed as a room we'd been in at a guesthouse we were at the previous weekend. Never mind, we've got the fantastic food to look forward to... It started off well enough - the canapes were very tasty, the soup was okay but the homemade roll was not very nice at all. The sorbet was also okay but what can you do wrong with sorbet. We'd both ordered fillet steak which we were told would be medium - it was not. It was well done and pretty tasteless - my steak I cook at home is far tastier and I do cook it medium. I know we should have sent it back but we didn't want to cause a fuss. I'm a dessert person so was looking forward to the Cranachan - again it was pretty tasteless. My husband ordered the cheese board which he was none too impressed with. Breakfast was on par with a travelinn - Kelloggs cereal, and what appeared to be a selection of tinned mandarins, grapefruit and prunes followed by the usual cooked choices - the mushrooms also tasted as though they had come from a tin. Both evening meals and breakfasts were the same. A plus point was that the staff were very friendly and we did have a lovely weekend but Corsewall is very overpriced and a great disappointment!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Food and Room
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
scotland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2008

We have been staying at Corsewall on and off for many years. As usual the service was excellent and cannot be faulted. The food is above average and the dining room in simply lovely. The menu stays vaguely the same and has done for about 4 years which rather tiresome. They have had the same deserts for several years which although tasty are a bit dated.
Our main gripe is the room quality. We stayed in one of their "suites" which really is a throwback to the 80's. The bed is 2 singles shoved together (which I cant stand). Out suite had a pointless kitchen in it with a very dated looking cooker. The rest of the furniture is dated & looks like castoff furniture. All of the rooms need a complete refit. They have 2 new suites which look quite nice. All in all I cant help feeling like the owners are "raking" it in but not putting anything back into the business. They really need to take a look at what modern travellers expect from a "luxury" property.
The drama of the Corsewall & the lighthouse itself cannot be beaten.

• Liked — food & service
  • Disliked — accomodation
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
stoke
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2007

Was recommended (and booked) by Stranraer Tourist Information Centre on the day. Helpful as always.

Cost included our five course meal that was wonderful. Wine well recommended by staff who were very helpful and good selection of whiskeys. (breakfest also included in cost)

Room was nice and clean with sea view. lovely setting in a lovely part of the uk. (very stormy night but slept well thanks to the lovely food and wine)

Good area for bird watchers and general outdoor types, with loch ryan and other sites close by.

Will be going back, more than once.

• Liked — location/building (had always wanted to stay in a lighthouse)
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Port Glasgow, Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2007

I looked at the sample review before I wrote this, but it doesn't qualify this hotel. It is magnificently simple and touches the spot if you want to relax in an atmosphere of friendly staff, great food and a place to be if you want to just relax and chilll out.

You know when you come home from a trip and you think "My house looks great". I got this when I arrived at Corsewall and booked into the North Channel Suite. It had the comforts of home with fresh flowers and plants. Normally we look for things to do in our holiday spot, but this time we were glad to visit Stranraer for a couple of hours and come back and read in our spacious suite until it was time for dinner.

Dinner was amazing on our first night, with a five course dinner included.in the price The black pudding and haggis starter, with soup and Sorbet, followed by fillet steak was great, but the cheeseboard was so good that I asked for the supplier.

Breakfast, which included creamed porridge and bacon and eggs with black pudding and ........wait for it "HOT toast and tea"

I will definitely go back to the Corsewall Hotel, particularly at this time of year when the weather is dramatic, as the view, comfort, good food, attention to detail, and the friendliness of staff and patrons makes it one of my most memorable stays.

Thanks to All

• Liked — Space
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Thirsk
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2007

We booked a weekend in october and stayed in the North Channel Suite because we have a small dog. The setting is splendid with good views over the sea and we did see some dolphins. The accommodation was spacious and clean and all right, nothing to complain at but nothing special. The bathroom was clean but ordinary. The food was good enough but not exceptional. A wedding party on Saturday afternoon overran and we had to wait in a very small lounge . When we were shown to our table the wedding party debris still covered the room and we were expected to have a romantic meal while they were clearing up around us and shifting the furniture. We said we would wait outside until they were prepared for us. I think they should have asked us to wait until they were properly ready and perhaps offered a free drink for the inconvenience.
I did feel it is extremely expensive for the standard. We paid £600 for the weekend( including £10 a night for the dog) for which we could have stayed at a truly luxurious country house hotel.

• Liked — The sea view
  • Disliked — It was all alright
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Corsewall Lighthouse Hotel? Share your experiences!