“Dont judge a book by its cover.” 5 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Guest house   |   Main Street, Stranraer DG9 9JF, Scotland   |
Ranked #7 of 30 Stranraer B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Southern England
“Dont judge a book by its cover.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2011

I did not know what to expect when I saw the place, it looked quite "ordinary". The rooms were clean, spacious and with an en suite bigger than our family bathroom at home. Basic is a word that springs to mind, however the food was another matter. My wife and I ate here for the two evenings we were staying, and the food just blew me away. I am not a "foodie" in what people might call the truest sense of the word, but I know good food when I taste it. I really could not fault it. Always well cooked, fresh, crisp vegetables and portion sizes that even I with my healthy appetite, slightly struggled with. Warm, welcoming, excellent food and service, and the breakfast was the icing on the cake. I would go back willingly, and will tell all and sundry about just how good this place is.

Room Tip: There are also cottages that cater for guests with pets.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

I find my self returning to the Tigh Na Mara time and time again. What makes it so special is the quality of food, professional service and friendly atmosphere.

The chefs that work in the restaurant are clearly passionate about what they put out. There is a constantly changing special menu making the most of fresh, local, seasonal produce. Plenty of fine dinning type options to choose from as well as some of the best fish and chips i have ever tasted!

I have recommended the hotel to many friends and family all have come back singing its praises.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
East Anglia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2011

We were very much looking forward to having dinner here as the reviews and website were promising. Unfortunately the photograher for the website is very good at making an ordinary modern pub room look like an upmarket bistro. The food was variable. I had an excellent fish starter but a tasteless main.
What I disliked most was the whinging waiter who "could have done without that lot" (group of 6 diners with no reservation) - as he had a cold. Great. Hope he didn't sneeze on my dinner. Service was generally inefficient until a lady of more mature years arrived on the scene.
More cafe than gastropub.

Solon, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2011

We stayed here one night, prior to taking the ferry from Cairnryan to Larne. Our room was quiet and clean and this little gastropub with rooms is on a very peaceful street in a small village. Dinner was fabulous--understand it is pretty well filled with locals on the weekends--always a good sign. This is a perfect place to stay if you want to explore Southern Scotland and then skip over to Northern Ireland the next morning.

Stoke on Trent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

This hotel is the tops, full of scottish hospitality and the reastaurant is wonderful.
We had a spacious room, with a larger than usual bathroom, and all the amenities you need.
We fuly intend to return to this place, absolutely great.

merseyside
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2011

stayed for 3 nights visiting friends in the area we stayed in back cottage as we have dog this is just the ideal hotel for us we are able to enjoy the benefits of eating in ahotel but have our dog stay with us we had a room on ground floor outside which means we do not have to pass thru hotel with our dog which i realise sone people are not happy with. had eaten at hotel before, and was again not disappointed it is not the cheapest but food is excellent and surroundings are contemporary everybody a nd everything appears to run smoothly a totally enjoyable experience will be returning breakfast excellent lots of choice nothing too much trouble and staff very attentive

Portpatrick, SW Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2011

Living locally, we visit this hotel restaurant for special occasions and have done for the last few years. To date we have never been disappointed. The restaurant is spotless, with a lovely warm and friendly ambiance, the food is superb and the staff are extremely friendly and efficient.

Anyone visiting the area should make a point of eating there at least once. I very much doubt you will be disappointed.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to Tigh Na Mara Hotel? Share your experiences!