“It was OK, not good, not bad” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Crown Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Portpatrick
Crown Hotel
You added Crown Hotel to your Saves list
9 North Crescent, Portpatrick DG9 8SX, Scotland   |
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Portpatrick
Certificate of Excellence 2014
London
“It was OK, not good, not bad”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

This is a difficult review to write as I thought that the food was very average but my fellow diner loved it! We sat at the back of the hotel and found it to be a bit dark and dingy with the tables being placed closed together. However, there is a nice looking conservatory at the back which serves the a la carte food, so it would be far nicer siting there. Alternatively, sitting outside the front of the hotel on the beautiful harbour side (weather not good enough for us to do that) would be lovely and I am sure the location would detract considerable from the lack of quality in the food. For starters we both had mussels in a cream sauce which was nice, however it was served with a very cheap roll in a plastic basket. For my main course I had cod (overcooked) in a dill sauce and the strong tasting sauce killed off the delicate taste of the fish. The chips (which I ate all of as I only ate half the fish) looked a bit reheated and the veg was uninspiring eg plain boiled veg, no butter, herbs etc on top. My partner had the Chefs Seafood platter (1/2 lobster thermador, mussels, crab claws, side salad, cheap roll) which he loved and said was tasty and plentiful. He could not manage a desert and there was nothing on the menu that appealed to me so be both abstained. All in all the service was fine and I am sure that sitting on the harbour side and expecting pub quality food eg no high expectation would ensure a good day/evening for all, and given the weather conditions ie only go when I could sit outside, I would try it out again and choose something different on the menu.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
hamilton lanarkshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Just back from a weekend at the The Crown Hotel.Myself and my partner had a fantastic time.Staff were exceptuional and couldnt do enough for you,from the waiting staff,managers/owners and housekeeping.We stayed in room 6 on the top floor.A small room with a 3/4 size double bed.on suite with a sea view.FOOD WAS BRILLIANT AND PORTIONS WERE HUGE.We did dinner bed and breakfast and it was a fantastic value for money.Hotel looks right on to the water and beautiful views.Portpatrick is a small village but ideal for some well deserved r&r.entertainment at night in The Crown was great . Friday night with Roxanne she had us all taking part and was a right laugh.Saturday night was more traditional.For a short break you cant go wrong here.

Room Tip: have heard room 12 is the best
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

A couple of fellow bikers joined me last weekend for a trip from Glasgow to Portpatrick. Upon our arrival, we decided to have a bite to the eat in the Crown Hotel. Ordering at the bar was a simple affair and our order was taken promptly and efficiently by the pleasant chap behind the bar. We had a burger, fish and chips and the fried chicken. Everybody enjoyed their meals, which were served hot and pretty quickly considering that it was quite busy inside.

Even as we prepared to leave, the barman found the time to thank us for our custom and wish us a safe journey home. Try it!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

We have just returned home after a lovely stay at the Crown where we had a 3 night for the price of 2 deal. From the moment we arrived nothing was too much trouble. Our room (11) overlooked the harbour and was very comfortable. The bed, linen and towels were all spotless. Some other reviewers have stated that some of the furnishings are a little 'tired' - well maybe a little dated but it certainly didn't bother us! Ensuite shower and bathroom was clean with toiletries provided and plenty of hot water!. Breakfast was wonderful with a good choice of cereals and hot food including haggis! We also ate our evening meal at The Crown. The food was excellent and very good value for money - portions were huge. All the staff were very friendly and helpful. If you are staying in Portpatrick then I recommend staying here!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
crownportpatrick, Owner at Crown Hotel, responded to this review, February 23, 2013
thankyou very much for you review.i am so glad you have enjoyed your stay and the food and hopefully we will see you again.
South Ayrshire, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

We had lunch at the Crown Portpatrick on the 14th Feb All three meals were cold.The veg with the cod had not even been heated. The two seafood pancakes were described in the menue as containing shellfish, ours didn't have any at all. If they were not available we should have been asked if we still wanted the pancakes or wished to pick something else from the menue, not give them that they'll never notice. The owner's couldn't care less attitude has ensured that every time we are in Portpatrick we will eat at other places instead of our usual Crown Hotel

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
hello
i am sorry you feel that you didnt enjoy your meals.
when i heard about the complaint i managed to see the dishes that had been cooked for you.i asked would you like to come to the restaurant area where i could discuss the matter with yourselves.
this was when we all agreed that the meals had all been ate,except for a few chips and one portion of cold vegetables (which i apologised for at the time)
as the 3 seafood meals are cooked from scratch i feel that they would of been raw and inedible if they had been cold.the 2 seafood pancakes are finished under a grill with cheese and even after your meals had been finished the plates were all still warm.
the seafood pancakes on the day in question contained cod,salmon and prawns.
i am sorry but i found it hard to deal with alot of your compalint as the food had already been eaten.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Short trips to Portpatrick during January have become a bit of a tradition for myself and my partner - (my birthday falls in this month and he brings me down here to celebrate).

Until this year, we have (....forgive us...) usually stayed at The Portpatrick Hotel and eaten at The Crown. This time, due to the Portpatrick Hotel's room rates and minimum stay time climbing astronomically, we opted to STAY at the Crown as well as eat there.....and boy are we glad!!!

With the weather being typically attrocious for the time of year (snowing!), we were absolutely delighted to be able to get Room 12, which is a very spacious room with its own sitting area and real coal fire. The room overlooks the harbour, has a spacious en-suite (complete, unusually, with a bidet!).

I cannot think of a nicer way to have spent my birthday than at this hotel. The food, as always, did not disappoint - humungous portions of quality fayre, eaten in the comfort of their homely pub area with roaring fire. You just don't want to leave! I cannot understand some of the previous reviewers of this hotel who slate the food - nonsense! - its absolutely wonderful. Standard pub grub it certainly is not! We travel from Glasgow specifically to eat here on my birthday as it is so special.

The staff are attentive, chatty and welcoming and the bedlinen etc is spotless. If "Premier Inn" soul-less hotels are your thing, you probably won't like The Crown. The building is well over a hundred years old. It doesn't have designer sinks, taps or porcelain floors. If thats what's important to you, then The Crown won't be "your thang". All I can say is it's an opportunity missed. What it DOES have is oodles of charm. Our room was equipped with a large LCD tv and we were very comfortable having been given a full scuttle of coal which lasted the entire night with some left over. Perhaps watching the snow fall as we sat in front of the fire watching the TV made me feel overly sentimental and romantic? Perhaps, but it WAS special, I felt special, and if a hotel makes you feel like that, what more could you ask for?

PS ......We'll be back :) Don't change a thing!

Room Tip: Room 12 has its own sitting room, equipped with its own coal fire. It overlooks the harbour. Huge...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Gatehouse of Fleet, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

My husband and I visited the Crown Hotel for lunch on Sunday 6th January 2012 and so glad we did. The food was excellent, the staff great and will be returning soon. My husband, who is quite a bid lad ordered the cod loin au poivre with potatoes and veg. The portion size was amazing and also excellent. I had thai chicken sizzlers which were the best I have ever tasted. Cant wait to return when I will order the cod loin as it was quite remarkable.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Crown Hotel? Share your experiences!