“A mixed bag!” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Tillicoultry
Halifax, United Kingdom
“A mixed bag!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

We stayed at the Harviestoun Country Hotel for one night in November 2013. It is quite small and compact with a very small bar area. We went into the bar for a drink on arrival and were swamped by diners waiting to get a table. The restaurant was really very busy.

We paid £85 for bed and breakfast; the room was very small but functional and fine for one night. I thought it was on the border of being expensive for what it was. There was no proper window, just a Velux in the sloping roof.

We ate in the restaurant and were really quite disappointed. My wife had beef stroganoff which she said was quite tasteless. I had fillet of beef and black pudding tower. It was drowned in a sweet, heavy, creamy whisky sauce. Why not put the sauce in a sauce boat and let the customer decide on the amount? I found the sauce quite overpowering. I mentioned it to the waiter; he was courteous enough but I don’t think he got my point. He mentioned that they had sold ‘loads of it’ that evening. There were a number of dishes on the menu with a similar whisky based sauce; not really to my liking!

The breakfast was excellent and the service was first class. All in all it was a bit of a mixed bag.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a full sized window.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Ruthin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

I wanted a good quality, small hotel, to use as a base to explore the Sterling area. I found it in the Harviestoun Hotel. From the first enquiry re a booking, to the last breakfast, the staff were very very good. You were made welcome, valued and looked after.
I had booked in with a Dinner, Bed and Breakfast deal, so I used the restaurant for the evening meals. The food was very good, I enjoyed all of it. It wasn't to much nor to little, just right. It was hot well presented and above all tasted good.
I only have one very small grip, the size of the bedroom. However you have to have in mind that the hotel has been converted from old farm buildings, its been done very well and is very comfortable. The bedroom was a little on the small side. It was warm, comfortable and very clean and tidy, and as we were not going to be spending a great deal of time in it, it wasn't a problem.

I would go again, I would also recommend to friends and family.

Room Tip: I am not sure if there are larger rooms available, would be worth a telephone call to ask.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Livingston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

We have been visiting the harviestoun for a number of years, i have never had any complaints, the chocolate fudge cake is excellent. I would highly recommend this restaurant, the high tea is very good value for money. The staff are very welcoming and professional

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel as were attending a wedding in Dollar

The room and bed was a little on the small side but very comfortable and very clean. The shower was amazing! The hairdryer didn't have much power so ladies if you need a powerful one, take your own.

My only complaint was no water in bedroom or anywhere near to buy any. We were pretty parched after drinking all day at wedding.

Breakfast was tasty and all service we had was great. Well done. This is a nice little hotel.

• Stayed October 2012
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

Worth popping in for lunch - we had a great meal and the staff were very friendly and accommodating at such short notice. We will give this restuarant another visit. Looks like a nice hotel to stay. D

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

1st visit to this restaurant and it was very pleasant indeed. Food was excellent and great value - the service was also very good. Unfortunately we didn't have any cash to leave a tip so we left a M&S voucher - hope the staff didn't mind :0)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
guildford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

I have eaten here many times and am sorry I didn't put a review as the food is excellent
I went last Saturday with my parents (they go regularly) and again it lived up to previous heights, in the past I have had a starter such as prawn cocktail, the portions is such that I have struggled with a main!! so this time I wisely had lamb chops, two huge chops came out on a bed of mashed potato then my dish of vegetables, cauliflower, brocolli, carrots and new potatoes, the chops were so tender and tasty and I did manage to finish it all but thta was it, no room for pudding
my father had the prawn cocktail but decided against a main course as he had been caught out like me before and he wanted a pudding! he chose profiteroles and two large profiteroles with sauce and cream were served
my mother had the sticky toffee pudding as she always does because it is so good! with a huge jug of custard
this place is an absolute treasure as the food is plentiful, fresh and tasty
they serve an excellent high tea, I think this may be just a Scottish thing as I havent; seen it anywhere else but the menu looks good for that too
it is also a lovely place for a wedding
the service was attentive but not overbearing

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Harviestoun Country Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!