“Good hotel in impressive setting.” 4 of 5 stars

Dryburgh Abbey Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   St. Boswells, St. Boswells TD6 0RQ, Scotland   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in St. Boswells
London, United Kingdom
“Good hotel in impressive setting.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

We stayed one night to as we were attending a wedding. The surrounding countryside is beautiful and the Scottish breakfast was delicious. Staff were really helpful and put up a travel cot for our son.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Paisley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

My fiancee and i visited for a wedding tasting. We tasted two otpions for each course and the wine. The food was generally amazing and the staff are as well. The manager helped us with the choices and seemed genuinely keen to take on any feedback about the dishes. I cant wait to come back to this lovely hotel.

Room Tip: The river views are to die for in the morning
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

I had booked afternoon tea as a celebration of my parents golden wedding anniversary. We decided to revisit the hotel as they held there wedding reception there. When I booked I asked for a nice table, I was told we could have a nice table in the window. Upon arrival the receptionist told us to go through to the dining room and we would be attended to. We waited for a few minutes there was no one at the bar when someone did come we were not greeted in a manner fitting for a 4 star hotel we were simply told to go and sit in the lounge and she would be with us as soon as she could. The menus were dumped on the table with no explanation of where the high tea was what was involved we weren't even offered a drink. In fact I don't think the waitress even spoke to us at this point. No table in the window and after 25 minutes of no service we got up and left. Very very disappointing for such a special occasion. I'm not sure how they have 4 stars but I would certainly not recommend a visit.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dryburgh, General Manager at Dryburgh Abbey Hotel, responded to this review, June 9, 2014
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of the Dryburgh Abbey Hotel. We are extremely disappointed to have fallen short of your expectations in this instance. We try our hardest at all times to look after our visitors and it goes without saying that we are terribly sorry to have let you down. If I may, I would like to highlight the background to your visit which might provide an element of explanation to your experience with us. In the early afternoon of your visit we facilitated a large private function in our upstairs dining room. We did realise in advance that this event would require a significant level of staffing and therefore made a decision only to accommodate dining requests from 2.30pm onwards. You did book for 2.30pm, however, because of circumstances outwith both our controls (namely the weather), you arrived quite early. Unfortunately at this time our staff were not able to offer you the level of service we would have wanted. This said, I am so very sorry that we were unable to communicate more effectively the position to you when you arrived. Had we done this, I am sure you would have enjoyed a quality lunch / tea with us.
Very best wishes,
Mark
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

What can I say - this place is brilliant! Beautiful grounds on the river bank with access to the abbey, wonderful food in the Tweed restaurant and fantastic staff. Huge room with a view of the garden and river. Casual bistro/bar is fabulous. Impressive building. Felt like a real treat. Mending kit that came with the toiletries was great too - don't get those very often and a button fell off my hubby's shirt before dinner! Can't wait to visit again.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Northallerton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

We stayed five nights at this hotel while we discovered the Borders, a much missed part of Scotland. The Hotel feels like a "friendly" country house, with the staff so helpful and pleasant. The food at both breakfast and dinner was excellent, nicely presented, generous portions and, in simple terms, tasty not something you always find even in the best restaurants.

Room Tip: Rooms with a view along the river Tweed, although you may never want to leave!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Madeley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

Fantastic quality hotel in a delightful setting, quiet, quality furnishings - some may say dated! I loved it and felt immediately at home.

The environment and cliental suited my requirements, call me a snob, but I'm not just like what I like, and it was just a pity I wasn't on holiday. I felt so relaxed, luxury and excellent food I could have stayed a week.

Ignore the reviews that say it's old fashioned and tired, it's a class act and well worth the trip.

Room Tip: Ground floor for me
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Jedburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

Stayed one night in the most expensive suite - room was spacious, comfortable, great view, but cold on arrival and a bit cobwebby....we had dinner and breakfast and each meal was marred by poor service - our dinner wine was warm, we had to wait ages for food in a half full dining room for both dinner and breakfast which did not go down well with our hungry children.... service was friendly but poor - sorry dryburgh, you have an amazing building in a one off location but really don't make the most of it - judging by the foreign tourists we encountered on our stay we would wish for a better representation of our part of Scotland.

• Stayed May 2014

Been to Dryburgh Abbey Hotel? Share your experiences!