“DP - Short Break in the Borders, Scotland” 4 of 5 stars

Dryburgh Abbey Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   St. Boswells, St. Boswells TD6 0RQ, Scotland   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in St. Boswells
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“DP - Short Break in the Borders, Scotland”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

My wife and I have just returned from a very enjoyable short stay at The Dryburgh Abbey Hotel. Excellent value for money - stayed on a 'winter-rate' bed & breakfast basis - hotel cosy, warm & comfortable. Type of room - 'Abbey' - very clean & very comfortable. Staff efficient and very friendly. Lounge, Bar & Bistro - all good. 'Breakfast experience' in Restaurant - perhaps room here for one or two improvements.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We had a great few days in the Borders last week. The hotel is situated on the banks of the Tweed. A lot of fishers and shooters were in the Hotel which made the evenings very enjoyable and good fun. Good drying room and facilities generally very good.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
lancaster
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

Beautiful location, lovely building, excellent staff
This is a country house hotel with a large dose of stars, so there were a number of surprises. We like a bit of cheese for dessert but this carries a £4.95 supplement - why? The red wine was not served at room temperature - it was chilled! We would have expected the breakfast to be freshly cooked rather than bits having been given bits that had been sitting around for a while. The bistro, an alternative to the main restaurant, served up an inedible steak for £21! There was never sufficient hot water for a bath. The towels were never changed. The bathroom radiator did not work. We may have been unlucky, and we had a great holiday!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dryburgh, General Manager at Dryburgh Abbey Hotel, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Dear reviewer, thank you for your review and particularly for the positive feedback regarding staff. The reason we apply a supplement to the cheese dish is purely due to the purchase costs involved. The cost of cheese has unfortunately risen dramatically in recent times and as a result the majority of table d''hote menus now carry a supplement for cheese and biscuits. I am grateful for your constructive feedback and thank you for taking the time to review the hotel. Best wishes.
Dumfries
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

We have just returned home after a great weekend in the Borders. The weather was cold,crisp and sunny. Dryburgh Abbey hotel promised much - 4 stars and a 2 star rosette restaurant. We would have forgiven the slightly tired and worn surroundings even the trickle of the shower because the staff were very friendly and helpful and the food really good. We were badly let down by an extremely cold bedroom. It was not welcoming on arrival at 4pm and our suspicions were aroused when we were told the heating would be going on shortly for a few hours and we could find a fan heater in the wardrobe. The situation did not improve when we got in on Saturday at about 5pm we once more complained and were told that Mr [--](the owner) had just turned the heating on! Heating in the bathroom was never resolved. This is just not acceptable in November.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear reviewer, I am so very sorry that we have fallen below your expectations. Guest comfort is obviously of the highest importance to us. We had close to 100 residents this weekend and I was not aware of any feedback on the Friday regarding this issue. I agree that on the Saturday upon returning to your room you notified reception that you were unhappy with the temperature within your room. At this point the heating was immediately reinvoked. We will of course review our processes and timings accordingly. Thank you for your kind words regarding staff and quality of food. Kind regards.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

Great base for a wonderful shooting holiday. Well organised even during this busy week. Food very good, no problems experienced at breakfast, although in our view a continental buffet style would correspond more to foreign clients. Service & staff excellent. Will certainly go back.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear reviewer, thank you very much for your kind comments. Last week was particularly busy and it is therefore pleasing to read of your experience. We note your comments regarding our breakfast offering during the shooting season. We hope to welcome you back soon. Warmest regards.
Solihull, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

The hotel may appear to be off the beaten track, but I had no trouble finding it. It is well signposted. The grounds are open grass sweeping down to the river, with limited planting. At night the exterior car park is adequately lit.
On arrival I noted the Trip Advisor rating prominently displayed – well done! There was adequate material around indicating the type of clientele it seeks, and dogs are allowed.
I was well received and given a useful orientation. I agree that the glory of the interior is a bit jaded but certainly comfortable with deep furniture in the lounge/bar area. Rooms are on 4 floors, access to mine on the second was easy via the lift though there were then stairs to the room. My room size was ok for a single (2m x 2.5m), though it actually was a double. There were 2 chairs (a bit faded and crumpled), an occasional table and a desk with stool and an integral unit for luggage and the TV (There was an out of date channel note for the TV on the unit – it is however only 16 inches but offers a standards freeview package) and wardrobe. The bed had a rather faded headboard but linen was crisp and clean and the bed was comfortable. There were 2 matching bedside tables. Lighting was wall lights but adequate. Heating was an issue - the window curtains covered the radiator, blocking any heat. The bathroom was just big enough (1.5m x 2m)– but very dated in design and fittings. It was cold. The curtains did give good black-out. The hospitality tray was generous as were toiletries. The room and bathroom were clean. The shower worked well and was hot.
As I was on a business trip and needing to work in the evening, I only took breakfast. The breakfast room (the Abbey Room) was large and spacious, beautifully decorated and with an efficient and pleasant service to match. Breakfast choices were ample with a Scottish flavour. I chose pancakes which were excellent.
My photographs show a very good arrangement for the hospitality tray in my room but some evidence of decorating needed.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

Firstly,this is solely my experience and 100% genuine.
I have stayed at this hotel a few times over recent months and need to comment that the hotel is rather shabby chic,but certainly comfortable and I find it relaxing,with comfortable chairs and lounges and also not forgetting the pool area.
The staff have always been pleasant and helpful.
My rooms have always been pleasant although not luxurious always comfortable and very peaceful,no TV,s on the wall here ......I must admit some of the decor is dated and some of the carpets are rather worn but I am sure they will be dealt with as their resources determine.
I have been rather disappointed with the bistro restaurant where I ate ...the meals in my opinion could be alot better.I have not used the main restaurant due to my personal resources.
For instance I had a game pie....13.95 ...that was really NOT good ...with roast potatoes or rather roast portions and some beans ...and a little gravy..the pie was the size of a large pork pie! ....not value for money at all and wasnt pleasant.Other guests commented too. I also had the rib eye steak at 21.95 ...sorry not value for money and not thatlarge either for a rib eye ....although quite nice ..no sauce available ...?Why do they not serve sauces?
My breakfasts have always been nice although I agree with others the staff seem pushed at times,both at breakfast and also in the bistro service can be slow.
I honestly think the bistro needs a revamp especially for the costs as it isnt value for money and even some french people commented whilst I was there too.
But there are worst hotels and it is in a lovely setting on the river .....so happy holidays ..or enjoy your stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dryburgh, General Manager at Dryburgh Abbey Hotel, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for taking the time to review the Dryburgh. Your review is certainly timely, very welcome and constructive in its content. Over the last few months we have experienced a much higher percentage of our guests electing to eat in the Abbey Bistro over the Tweed Restaurant (which continues to receive very good feedback). There is no doubt in my mind that the general economic climate has played its part in this 'swing'. The Directors of the Hotel and I are currently reviewing both the style and menu choice within the Bistro as a result of its increasing popularity. Your comments are therefore salient and helpful. In passing I would say that it is genuinely refreshing to hear the views of someone who has actually stayed at the Hotel. We hope to welcome you back to the Dryburgh in the near future.
Best wishes,
Mark

Been to Dryburgh Abbey Hotel? Share your experiences!