“very disappointing” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Bay Tarbet Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tarbet
Bay Tarbet Hotel
You added Bay Tarbet Hotel to your Saves list
Main Street, Tarbet, Loch Lomond and The Trossachs National Park G83 7DE, Scotland   |
Special Offer
CLICK FOR GREAT DEALS
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Tarbet
Exeter, United Kingdom
“very disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

Had 5 night stay in september in room 137 with shearings.room was very dusty,matress was lumpy and uncomfortable so had very lttle sleep.The whole hotel is tired and needs updating,the tv only had one station which didn't always work so not worth having one there.Food was sometimes passable but nearly always cold and very slow service.some reception staff were ok but some were abrupt.we found the hotel too isolated with the nearest village a mile away,too far for us to walk.A hotel you might visit once but doubt if you would want to return.

Room Tip: try to get corner suite
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Ronnie J, General Manager at Bay Tarbet Hotel, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Dear Reviewer,

I’m sorry to read that your stay with us did not live up to your expectations.

The room issues you have commented on are not acceptable and if reported to reception, we would have ensured that they were remedied very quickly. The T.V had simply been tampered with and required retuning, which has been done.

I have asked the Restaurant manager to look in to your comments regarding your Dining experience and if there is an issue there we will get it sorted with immediate effect. I am aware of other issues during that week and we have been working on that with the staff members involved

We hope that you will reconsider your view of not returning as we have a long line of returning clientele that would, I’m sure, agree that this is not our usual standard and that we can and do perform to a much higher level than this.

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
  • Polish first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

Just returned from weekend break with Caledonian Travel to Tarbet Hotel, the hotel is in a great location with fantastic views if you get the right room (which we did) could be doing with a bit of updating in the bathrooms and televisions are of the old style with very few channels, the bedroom was clean and tidy and the bed was comfortable and ideal for the two nights we were staying there.
Entertainment wise it was Ok, service from the staff was good.
The food portions could be a little bigger as it is not always people who eat like sparrows who stay there !!!!
Overall it was a good weekend and would recommend to anyone looking for short trip away with beautiful views to try out this hotel.

Dear Reviewer
Thank you for taking the time to post this review.

I’m glad that found your bedroom to be clean and comfortable, I will pass these comments on to the head housekeeper she will be thrilled.

I have passed your comments regarding the food on to the Chef and am sorry to hear that you felt the portions were small. We do have a standard portion size but the staff are always more than happy to get you more if you so desire.

I am glad that you would recommend us to people and hope that we will see you again in the near future.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

Just returned from a Shearing coach trip staying at this hotel. Having been on a few coach trips with different companies I know not to expect a 4* hotel and this is certainly not. Yes the hotel is in a great location, and I would say the food is acceptable. My problem was the service in the dining room, slow is not the word! Each area is allocated a waiter, our waiter had 11 tables to serve. It came to light that he was from Romania and had only been there a month but was obviously not trained on waiting. Our group of tables were the last to leave each night, even although we entered the dining room when it opened at 6.30pm , everyone else finished, vacated their seats and enjoying their tea/coffee in the lounge. I really felt sorry for the young man as he obviously had never been shown how to take orders, clear tables, in an efficient way. People who came in first were often the last to be served. the last night we did not even bother to order a dessert as it was taking so long. The hotel manager I found to be cocky and arrogant, not just to me, but a conversation I overheard with a lady making a request about a faulty window was spoken to a in a way that was not acceptable.
Overall the coach trip was excellent, the driver George was very good with his knowledge of the area we visited,.and the entertainment was also very good especially on the Wed - Dave Barton and Thurs - Robbie Carran. If you are thinking of booking a coach trip - yes it is worth the money just hope you don't get the slow waiter or that training has taken place!!!

Dear Reviewer,
I’m glad to hear that you enjoyed the location, entertainment and found your driver to be knowledgeable and very good at what he does. I will pass this feedback on to the entertainers and George, I’m sure they will be very happy to hear that.

Regarding your feedback about the service you received, I’m sorry that on this occasion you have received sub standard service but can assure you that all our waiting staff are given very detailed training within their first few weeks and within a month are usually able to excel with the service levels they are given. I have asked the Restaurant Manager to look at this situation and give additional training if required.

On a personal level, It disappoints me that you found fault in my attitude towards guests and I can only assume that something has been misunderstood or misheard. I would be more than happy to discuss this with you and make a personal apology if you would like to contact the hotel direct.

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback.
horncastle, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

hotel in a stunning location but once inside our holiday ended we received room key 112 upstairs the smell was rank and the room had stained carpets ,wallpaper coming of walls, radiators rusty and held up by blocks of wood, and damp mould on ceiling we soon had a change of room. we though things could only get better but we had not then we tried the food or lack of it and the worst hotel food I have ever tasted and the highlight of the week being the pea and ham soap try it if you dare. bar area very tidy and barman very helpful but look up at lampshades, they have a lovely collection of moths. this is without doubt the worst hotel we have ever stayed in

Dear Reviewer,
I’m sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay at the Tarbet hotel.

As part of our ongoing refurbishment plan, we aim to refresh the decor of rooms at every available opportunity. I am sorry that you found the accommodation not to be up to our usual standard but glad that you were found a more suitable room as soon as possible.

I have examined the customer feedback from that week and the majority of customers were happy with the food and service they received. I’m disappointed to read that you did not enjoy your Dining experience and have asked the catering team to action any issues you may have had with immediate effect. I have also instructed the cleaning staff to be more vigilant when it comes to high level cleaning. Please be assured that these are not a regular events at the Tarbet and we will deal with any issues quickly and effectively.

I thank you for taking the time to post your feedback
Oxford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

Having just returned from a week at this Hotel, travelling with Shearings Coach Tours, I have to say that it is in a prime Location was on the banks of Loch Lomond in the Trossachs,just north of Glasgow, Beautiful area, but the same could not be said for the Hotel.No running hot water in the basin!! No Wi-Fi, Decor was in dire need of repair.The Food was poor, the portion size was for children NOT for adults, and service in the dinning room, was very slow. We also booked an early morning call which never happened!
I would not recommended this hotel, it made the Tour a Great Disppointment, and would not choose a Bay Hotel ever again.A change of Mangement at this Hotel is needed.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Ronnie J, General Manager at Bay Tarbet Hotel, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Dear Reviewer,

It is disappointing to read your title and comments about your stay.

The Room that you were allocated, room 122, is a recently refurbished twin with fantastic views of the loch and mountains. It certainly could not be described as dire.

I, myself, had attended your room with regards to the hot water tap on the sink. It is untrue to state that it did not have running hot water coming out of it that was simply not the case. The pressure was not enough for your liking and I stated at the time that the only way to rectify this was by fitting a new specialised tap (as it was the custom disabled room you were staying in) and that I would get one ordered and installed.

We do not at present have wi-fi, but this is actually being installed in the beginning of October.

Regarding the issues you had with the service and food, We usually provide a level of service and food that is to the enjoyment of the vast majority of the clients who stay here. It is disappointing that you didn’t enjoy your experience with us and had we known about the issues you were having we would have done all we could to try and find a solution.
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

We stayed there for two nights recently.

We had a two night deal which included the evening meal which was good value. The staff were friendly and helpful and the food was good. The only things disappointing were that the room was a bit dated and we faced a busy main road where we could hear the traffic !
The TV was small and old and we could only receive one channel !

We would stay there again though, but only if the special offers continued.

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review

I’m glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found the package good value for money.

We are continually looking at improving the rooms through our rolling refurbishment programme, this will include changing the TV’s,etc.

We hope you will continue to visit us at the Tarbet.
Brixham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013 via mobile

We booked this hotel as part of a Shearings Coach Holiday and what a disappointment it was. The shower in our room was held together by masking tape and was filthy. It was also just big enough for a 5'6", 11stone adult to fit into and the water trickled out. Paper thin bedroom walls, stains on various cushions, carpets and bedware. The reading room on the ground floor smelled of damp and the reception staff were surly and unhelpful. Food very average at best and you could wait up to 25 minutes to be served. The whole building is in desperate need of a total refurbishment. Never again.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Ronnie J, General Manager at Bay Tarbet Hotel, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Dear Reviewer,

It’s disappointing to read that you did not enjoy your stay with us.

Having inspected the room you were staying in, which had a bedroom refurbishment in May this year, I can find no evidence of stains on the pillows, the cushion or carpet. The bed linen is laundered by an external company and is usually found to be clean and crisp. I have passed your comments on regarding the shower to our maintenance team to have a look at.

The hotel does have a few tired areas which we will be solved as part of our rolling refurbishment plan, I think it is very unfair to say the whole hotel requires a full refurbishment as several key areas have recently had work completed on them including the bar/entertainment lounge, Residents lounge and the Restaurant. These areas are smart, comfortable and very appealing to
the majority of our guests.

If the room issues had been mentioned during your stay then I am sure we would have been able to remedy them as quickly and efficiently as possible.

We hope you will reconsider your decision not to stay with us

Been to Bay Tarbet Hotel? Share your experiences!