“For the price, you'll be pushed to beat it.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Bay Tarbet Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tarbet
Bay Tarbet Hotel
You added Bay Tarbet Hotel to your Saves list
Main Street, Tarbet, Loch Lomond and The Trossachs National Park G83 7DE, Scotland   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Tarbet
North Wales
“For the price, you'll be pushed to beat it.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

We spent 4 nights at The Tarbet in April this year and for the price I think it's very good. We were half board. The breakfast is very good, porridge, fruit juice, cooked breakfast, cereal etc. The evening meal is 3 courses and a choice of starters, at least 3 different main courses every evening and a dessert. There is entertainment every evening, better than most hotel entertainers they are too. As others have said, the floorboards do creak, but this an old building, you expect it surely? I read somewhere that there is no hot water on a Friday? Not true, piping hot all week. The room was a little cold even though the radiator was hot, again you can put this down to it being an old building I think. All the staff were excellent, even though they were very busy (I think the hotel was quite full the time we stayed) they still managed to keep everything flowing. The place is kept clean. Ok, the corridors do look a bit tired and our room wasn't the most modern we've ever stayed in but I've stayed in a lot worse having paid a lot more.
Just remember how much you're paying and set your expectations accordingly and you won't be disappointed. The problems start when folk pay 3 star prices then behave like Hyacinth Bucket and start demanding 5 star treatment/facilities. Be fair folks. We paid £129 each for 4 nights half board including transport from North Wales, excellent value. Good choice and fair prices in the bar too, just wish they had cask ales, :-)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Ronnie J, General Manager at Bay Tarbet Hotel, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post this review

I’m glad to read that you found your stay with us enjoyable and good value for money, it certainly is exactly what we are aiming for with these excellent offers that we have on.

I shall pass on your comments about the food to our kitchen team they will be happy to hear that you enjoyed what they have produced.

We hope to see you again here at the Tarbet Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
  • Polish first
edinburgh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Had a lovely 2 night stay at this hotel, would definitely go back.
The only thing i had a fault with was the breakfast, i would have preferred a scottish breakfast to an english, and you only get a tea spoon of beans.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear reviewer
I’m glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and would definitely stay with us again.

I will pass your comments on regarding the breakfasts, your certainly right regarding the beans!!!.

I will sort that out with the staff.

Hope to see you again soon
Duns, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Just back from 3 nights at the Tarbet Hotel.Yes the floorboards creek but it is part of the charm of the hotel. The staff were all friendly and helpfull. The hotel was very clean, the entertainment was very good. The only downside for me was the hotel was not near anywhere {except the lovely loch lomond] I was hoping to just park the car and leave it, but we just drove all around the area and enjoyed it. We will go back.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear reviewer
Thank you for your kind review, I’m glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I will pass your kind comments on to the staff and entertainers, they are always happy to hear feedback from the guests, good or bad, as it allows us to improve as a unit

We hope to see you again at the Tarbet.
Halifax, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

I recently stayed at The Tarbet Hotel as part of a package deal; never again! My single room accommodation was totally substandard and cold (Feb, 2013) The bathroom sink was so small I could hardly get both hands in at the same time, leaving pools of water on the floor. The food was good but the dining room was in near darkness. I didn't sample the entertainment; this hotel needs refurbishing.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to post you review.

I’m please to read that your enjoyed the food served to you at the Tarbet.

I’m disappointed to read that you did not like your accommodation. However, had any of these issues been reported to reception I’m sure we could have done something about them.

The Restaurant lighting is perfectly acceptable and this is the first time I have ever had a complaint about this, so I will review this and see if any changes require to be made.
Preston, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

We booked 3 night shearings self drive break over Easter and thoroughly enjoyed it. We paid extra for room with a view and the view was truly fabulous, the room itself was large, clean and comfortable, plenty of hot water, towel etc. The hotel is on quite a busy junction but across the road only from loch lomand and you can pick up a boat from here frequently to several destinations on the quieter eastern side of the loch. We used the hotel as a base for walking including stretches of the west highland way and it is excellent location for this. The food and entertainment were a little mixed, some nights good and other not so good. The hotel has some lovely Victorian features, the staff were good. It is not a country house hotel but for what you pay it is good.

Room Tip: Pay extra for a room with a view . We had 123 and the view was fantastic.
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to post this review

It’s great to read that you enjoyed your Easter break with us and found it to be good value for money

The views from the scenic room are excellent and I’m glad that you took the time to appreciate them and enjoy your surroundings, including the boat trips which are both informative and relaxing.

I will pass on your comments regarding the food and entertainment, I apologise if you feel that was not up to our usual standard

We hope to see you again in the near future
Sunderland, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Booked Easter Weekend with Shearings, on arrival we encountered a problem when checking our room key and id room card to find no drinks package card for the inclusive drinks package we had paid an upgrade for, on returning to reception, we were told in uncertain terms THERE WAS NO DRINKS PACKAGE ON OFFER THIS WEEKEND. in a curt way, i asked to see they duty manager and again was informed we had only booked half board, having travelled with coach holidays before i had highlighted certain requests and other important things i may need to refer to , i showed the manager the Yellow highlighted documents showing the upgraded paid for the drinks package, finally after seeing this a photo copy was taken and we were handed our 4 drinks per day id card.great start to the weekend, later that night we went for a drink and produced the cards no problem bar staff very good , we sat down and enjoyed our drinks on observing other trippers using these cards I spoke to a few and they said had encountered the same problems when booking in. anyway that problem sorted.
The hotel is ok we had a twin room on 1st floor 131 very big but no view and creaky floor boards but not a problem we have had worse accommodation, restaurant big and waitress Joanne we had most of the stay was very good the food was ok but not very big portions, coffee and tea available to help yourselves outside the restaurant, bar area nice entertainment ok Saturday night very good he was on for over 2 hours with a bit of comedy and songs. Sunday he did more talking than singing ave seen him before at Melrose bit patronizing to the trippers and frowned at any one that wasn't paying full attention to him. the bar prices are high, beer £3,20 Carling £3,40 Guinness £3.80 so good job we had paid up front 8 drinks £15.00 per night.
the views are great from outside and Loch lomond is just 5 mins walk.but its a very busy junction the road leads to Oban and Fort William.. all in all we had a good weekend the Shearings driver was new but very competent and we didnt get his name

Room Tip: you needn't pay for upgrade unless your going to stay in your room a lot and look out of the win...
Thank you for taking the time to post this review

I’m glad that for the most part you have enjoyed your stay with us and found the staff polite and efficient.

I must apologise for the administration error that led to you not getting your voucher when you arrived, I have spoke to the staff member about this and our head office to ensure this does not happen again. I had to ask for confirmation as no information had come through at that time, but this was quickly resolved once you very kindly showed me the paper work.

I have taken note of your comments regarding the entertainment, especially on the Sunday night and i will pass this on for investigation.

We hope to see you again at the hotel in the near future.
Rotherham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

After reading some of the reviews on here, my wife and I were dreading going with Shearings on 18 March for a five day break. How glad we were that some were nonsense. You are never going to get five star luxury for three star prices. We had a great time, the Tarbet Hotel was clean, the staff friendly, and the food adequate, with a good choice. Our driver, Graham was funny and knowledgeable, and the trips out well planned. The evening entertainment was the best we have seen overall on this, our third break with Shearings. So the floorboards did creak, what do people expect from a hotel this old? Finally, we came back in some of the worst snow of the year, and arrived back into the Normanton interchange about 20 mins late, well done Graham. Hope you enjoy your holiday in loch ness. Alan & Carole Goy

Room Tip: Try and get one overlooking the loch.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
GmTarbet, General Manager at Bay Tarbet Hotel, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post this lovely review

It’s good to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and were able to draw such positives from it.

I will pass your comments on to Graham as I’m sure he will be delighted to hear that someone actually found him funny!! Joking aside he is a very knowledgeable driver with a wealth of facts and information built up over years of doing these tours.

We hope to see you again in the near future

Been to Bay Tarbet Hotel? Share your experiences!