“Most appalling service in the pub” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Rowardennan Hotel

You added The Rowardennan Hotel to your Saves list
The Rowardennan Hotel
3.0 of 5 Inn   |   West Highland Way, Rowardennan, Loch Lomond and The Trossachs National Park G63 0AR, Scotland   |
Ranked #4 of 5 Rowardennan B&B and Inns
London
“Most appalling service in the pub”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

I did not stay at the hotel, we were in Lomond Lodge nearby, however our experience of the pub was bad. On the Saturday night of our arrival we tried to go in for a drink.... we ended up walking out still thirsty about 25 minutes later. We stood at the bar for a loooooong time being quite thoroughly ignored by all of the staff. There was not a lot of serving going on, or any eye contact. We vowed not to go back in. However, needs must and we ended up back there to ask a favour a few days later. After another long wait (despite the pub being virtually empty) we spoke to a man in late-30s who despite helping us out (for a fee) was abrupt and rude.
If you are looking for a cosy pub for a drink or food don't bother with this place. they have attempted to modernise the interior (badly), the beer selection looked disappointing, and the service is horrendous.
Head to the Oak Tree Inn further down in Balmaha and enjoy an open fire, lovely staff and delicious cullen skink with a pint of local cider.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
RowardennanHotel, General Manager at The Rowardennan Hotel, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
This is not our usual standard of service and we are most concerned by your comments. We would be obliged if you would contact the Bar manager - on 01360 870 273 to discuss your comments directly.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Stopped at Hotel for much needed plate of soup while walking West Highland Way.Food was excellent homemade and my dog was also made welcome in the bar.Staff very friendly and big thank you to the ferry man for his home made tiffin cake(chocolate bar with biscuit and fruit soaked in a secret ingredient)He knew the rough walking I had ahead of me.All the establishments cater for the walkers on the west highland way and i,m happy to say this hotel does it well.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Luton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

A very comfortable and homely hotel after a long day's walk along Loch Lomond. Mostly pleasanty decorated. Some areas of the hotel appear to be used only atr certain times (eg breakfast room only for breakfast and small but cosy bar). This gave something of an impression of being a bigger place than its business required of it. That said, this was nothing whcih detracted from the comfort of the hotel.

Large room was clean and freshly decorated. So was the very stylish bathroom. We even had a small walk in drying room/ dressing/ wardrobe area attached to the room. Breakfast was fantastic - you couldn't possibly want for anything else. Evening dinner was in the long bar. This was a little cold despite the welcoming open fire. Dinner was quick and effective, with orders taken by the characterful barman.

My only ciriticism (and a small one at that) is that we had to collect our bags from the shed in the car park (after we had taken off our boots!) No really big issue, but after a day's walking, what a great touch it would have been to be told that our bags had been taken up to our room. That would have been real service.

Overall a great and confortable place to stay. Book a room!

Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

I didn't actually spend the night at this hotel. I had booked in at the SYHA hostel 1km down the road, a decision I quickly regretted. The girl at the hostel was rude, the room was ruder and I was paying far too much for what I was getting. There was no wifi and I needed to be able to check my next booking, so I went back to the hotel to ask if I could use theirs. The young man in reception was pleasant, helpful, warm. He was happy to let me use their wifi, despite the fact that I wasn't a guest. When I asked if they had any singles for the night he said they were full up, but they'd let me know if there were any cancellations. i was glad to pass some time in the restaurant where the food was good and the service was friendly. In the end they didn't have any single rooms for the night, but they were willing to put me a two-bedded bunkhouse on my own for half the price I was paying for my single at the hostel and in a far better bed. Unfortunately the hostel wouldn't let me out of my booking, so I spent my whole evening at the hotel bar and only went back to the hostel to sleep. Technically I didn't stay the night at The Rowardennan Hotel, but I tried!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

We stopped here after a decent day of walking, and found it to be just what we needed. The rooms were done to a modern spec, and the facilities in the rooms were great. The communal areas look like they could do with a refurbishment, but it's by no means dull or grotty.

The bar is decent enough, with friendly service, and food is also good. It has wifi, which is a rarity on the West Highland Way, and overall it's a good place to stay for walkers needing a bit of rest.

Whitefish Bay, WI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Day Two of the West Highland Way found me lodging here and it was great! They even had a "Drying Room" for my sodden clothing. My room had a bathroom in a separate room, but it was designated for my use only. That was fine. The bar had a good menu and the breakfast the next day was excellent!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Scotland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

Day 2 on the WHW the hotel was a welcome sight, rooms good, food in the bar was decent very clean, was there on the same night as the italian wedding so very busy but service did not suffer because of it, frienldy staff.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Rowardennan Hotel? Share your experiences!