“Friendly, peaceful. A lovely place to stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Rosslea Hall Country House Hotel

Save Saved
You added Rosslea Hall Country House Hotel to your Saves list
Rosslea Hall Country House Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ferry Road, Rhu, Loch Lomond and The Trossachs National Park, Helensburgh G84 8NF, Scotland   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Rhu

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Oxford
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

As a Scotsman lining in England for 30 plus years I had the need to return to the area for family reasons. I had stayed at the Rosslea decades ago and it was fine then.
On arrival, the sole member of staff on reception was so engrossed on signing up a couple of rooms for a wedding function I was left standing with my kit for 14 minutes whilst other members of staff could be heard nattering in the dining area.
My room was on the first floor where the dirty and tired carpets of the entrance were replaced with cleaner versions of the same tired covering, this time having the benefit of 2 separate burn/scorch marks where (it appears) hot pots or pans have been laid on the floor !!!!! The room in all fairness was clean, tidy and very comfortable with a clean bathroom.

I chose to dine in the lounge bar area as the dining room was deserted (perhaps this should have been a clue to what was to follow.). The barman was clearly a man with a much better grasp of customer service than his receptionist. He turned out to be ex RAF and it showed. A jewell in an otherwise poorly gilded crown.
I chose the cullen skink soup which is a Scottish soup consisting a vegetable, potato leek base and smoked haddock introduced. When it arrived it looked the part, but on tasting it resembled the Maggi "compo" powdered soup base with some chopped potato, leek and the odd bit of fish thrown on top. It was cornflour based slop..........and to top it off, it was served with a warm roll which had been nuked to death in a microwave, was steaming hot on arrival and turned to a solid mass within seconds.

Adding insult to injury, I had been stupid enough to ask for the haggis, potato mash and pepper sauce. The plate arrived and I was faced with a ball of haggis rolled in flour, breadcrumbed and (it appears) deep fried sitting atop a dollop of mash around which on a fingerprint laden plate was "pepper sauce". This "sauce" looked like the cook had sneezed on the plate, it was split and possibly a packet mix in keeping with the soup.

The microwave seems to enter into the cooking at this place on a regular basis as the mash was hot in places and cold in others. The coating on the haggis "ball" was oily and chewy. Quite unpleasant all told. It appears that vegetables other than potato do not feature heavily in this menu. Had the barman/server not been so pleasant and professional I would have said something other than the "just about edible" response to his enquiries.

The hotel is clearly used by the council/Ministry of defence as a dormitory for staff at the nearby Naval base. The few people I did see were contractors for the MOD . It may be that the place is so much a dormitory now it has no concept of what is required for the day to day travelling public.

Breakfast was an experience. I entered the dining room and was seated by the server at a table made up for 4 places. Having sat down I ordered coffee which soon arrived. It was on pouring the coffee I noticed my cup had dregs of coffee in it from the previous diner, the side plate had crumbs on it and the knife was used, but replaced in it's setting. I swapped these with one of the other place settings and ordered sausage,bacon and scrambled eggs. I asked the server to ensure the scrambled eggs were soft and creamy.She assured me it was made freshly and would be as ordered. I detest scrambled egg crumbs from over cooked pre prepared scramble.

On arrival I could barely believe my eyes. The bacon had obviously been sitting around a heatsource for ages. It was dessicated and barely could be cut with a knife. The sausage (single like the bacon) was tasy but had that infernal synthetic casing around it rather than the traditional casing. Clearly the budget range from a bulk supplier.

THE EGGS>>>>THE EGGS>>>>>>>

Catering in this establishment obviously has it's issues. I suspect the cook had gone AWOL and the cleaner was filling in. The scrambled eggs arrived, were grey in patches, luke warm and hard as could possibly have been achieved. This apology for scrambled egg had clearly been sitting in a bain marie for ages and had suffered for it's pains. I ate the sausage, a mouthful of dessicated bacon and left the rest. ( I went in to Helensburgh and had a super breakfast in a cafe there).

In all this hotel appears to cater for trades and contractors paid for by companies or the state interspersed with wedding packages. I suspect the chef works when there is a function but does not work when there is not, and certainly not on a Monday in January.

My biggest concern is that, if the catering is this poor, it could be surmised that no professional qualified caterers are involved in the day to day food prep. Where that leaves public hygeine let alone quality of dining is a serious question for the owners.

The hospitality industry in Scotland has always struggled on the quality of the food which seems to have slowly been dragged out of the deep fried and microwaved brigade. Unfortunately, the Rosslea hall Hotel at Rhu has managed to buck the trend .

I notice that with few exception, the good reviews are from wedding parties or other functions, which somewhat confirms my thoughts.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Robert D M, General Manager at Rosslea Hall Country House Hotel, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Dear Guest thank you for taking the considerable time to post your review on Tripadvisor and of course the similar review on Booking.Com

Clearly we failed to impress you during this visit and whilst we take all reviews seriously and indeed welcome them as a tool to help us improve our offering to the guest, business traveller, council worker, wedding guest, holiday maker and leisure visitor alike because contrary to your suggestion we treat all our guests in the same proffessional hospitable manner.

There are several comments made in your review that I will most certainly investigate such as the quality of the food and the cooking arrangements because again contrary to you opinion all our staff are highly trained hospitality proffessionals. Head Chef Dunn was indeed off duty not because we did not have any functions on but because he was having a well earned holiday after the extremely hard work he and his team put in during the last 12 months. The Chef on duty was our senior sous chef with 17 years kitchen experience and more than capable of running the kitchen.

Other comments you have made I will defend against, the hotel is certainly not dirty our carpets are cleaned and vaccumed several times a day, every day! and only 2 weeks ago were industrially cleaned. We have an extremely vigourous external audit system in place for food hygiene and health and safety so I do take exception to you suggesting otherwise.

One thing I do find surprising is that at no time did you pass any negative comments to any member of the staff or management during your stay or indeed at checkout. We are honest hard working people at Rosslea and try our utmost to ensure all our guests have a good experience and leave with fond memories but like everywhere else at times occasionaly we get things wrong. We allways deal with issues accordingly and allways in a manner that sees the guest satisfied, this would also have been the case had you given us the opportunity.

All that said we are about pleasing our guests and if you would care to contact me directly I will discuss with you in person as I would be keen to have you return and give me the opportunity to redeem ourselves and of course give you the opportunity to experience our genuinely good hospitality and the service the vast majority of our visitors receive.

Don McGregor
Kilmarnock, Scotland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

My husband and I decided to renew our wedding vows on Hogmanay and booked the whole Winter Wonderland Wedding Package with the hotel. From the minute we booked until the event was over we were not disappointed. We stayed at the hotel the night before the wedding and found the stay very relaxing and enjoyable. The staff went out of their way to accommodate us by putting extra beds in rooms so that families could stay together. The Christmas decorations were beautiful and created a magical atmosphere for ourselves and all of our guests. The staff kept the whole day running smoothly and completely stress free. At midnight we went outside to welcome in the bells with a firework display and to our surprise one of the members of staff dressed in a kilt and played the bagpipes while we watched the display.
We even took a walk along the adjoining beach on New Year's morning, which finished the stay off beautifully. I would have no hesitation in recommending the hotel to anyone wishing to stay in the area and particularly to anyone planning a wedding, i would encourage you to book your wedding at the Rosslea Hall and seriously consider the Winter Wonderland Wedding for a once in a lifetime magical experience, as you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Robert D M, General Manager at Rosslea Hall Country House Hotel, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear Amanda,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your experience at Rosslea Hall. I do hope you and Alan are well. It is always pleasing to note that we have succeeded in making someones visit a memorable one for all the right reasons.
It was an absolute pleasure having you and your family and friends here for the New Year and I will make sure all the team at Rosslea are aware of your very positive feedback.

Silsden, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

My wife and I stayed a couple of nights recently to visit an area where we used to live and we chose the Rosslea Hall Hotel as our base. In a nut shell, it was an enjoyable stay and the staff were very friendly and welcoming. We ate one night in the bar and although the food was top notch, the after dinner coffee was not as good (just an observation as I have travelled the world and tasted coffee from just about everywhere it is produced). Breakfast in the morning was cooked fresh and arrived hot on the plate; can't ask any more than that. The room was lovely, spacious, clean, warm and the bed was comfy. Would certainly stay here again if I had the opportunity.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review of your recent visit on Tripadvisor. It is always pleasing when guests leave with fond memories of their stay. I am delighted to note the positive aspects of your visit and have put training in place to ensure that we do improve the coffee offering. On reading your comments I decided to try a coffee from our machine and totally agreed with your findings. " Now Rectified" Thanks again Steve and I do hope you do manage to visit again.

Nottingham, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

With a party of four we stayed at this hotel in Rhu, near Helensburgh, after being very badly let down by Travelodge in Helensburgh.

Our party had two disabled persons and the staff at Rosslea could not have been more welcoming, polite or helpful.

Another bonus was that the overall price contained a cooked breakfast which was absolutely excellent and was obviously freshly cooked to order. I can thoroughly recommend this hotel as a pleasant and clean place to stay with an excellent view over the Clyde Estuary.

Wholeheartedly recommended.

Room Tip: Ask for a room looking out over the river.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Steve.

Thank you very much for your kind comments and for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor. We always welcome feedback whether good or bad, I use it as a tool to work on improvements to enable us to deliver excellent customer care and genuine hospitality.
I must admit it is all the sweeter when the feedback is positive like your own.

Be assured I will pass this onto the staff who I know will all be equally delighted.

Nottingham, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

We arrived at the Rosslea at the end of a long journey having had a dreadful experience at another local hotel which resulted in us looking for rooms at the last minute. Our party of four included 2 elderly ladies with special health needs. The Rosslea proved a safe haven and we were met with very friendly and professional staff. Of particular note were Sarah and Bob for whom nothing was too much trouble. We had a very comfortable night and also enjoyed our evening meal and breakfast. The view from our second floor room over the water was great and it was lovely to open the window and listen to the birds in the morning. We were extremely pleased that our first hotel was awful as it meant that were able to experience the excellent Rosslea.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for posting your positive review on Tripadvisor. I am delighted that you found our hotel to your liking especially when you have mention being let down elsewhere. It is always welcome feedback when you realise that you have created good memories for our visitors.
I will pass your comments onto the team they are always very appreciative when guests go to the bother to write a review.

Dumbarton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Great hotel, and wonderful staff.
We held our entire wedding here on the 29th December 2012, and everything was perfect. From planning everything with co-ordinator Jennifer, who was absolutley amazing and made everything so easy, right down to the day itself we cannot find a thing to fault. Food was incredible and everyone enjoyed it. The staff were also wonderful, making sure we were happy at all times and that we were all having a great day.
We couldn't thank them enough for all their help and kindness.

Room Tip: We had the Bridal suite which was incredible. Our families had no complaints about any of the rooms...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Claire

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review on tripadvisor. I am delighted to note that you were very happy with the delivery of your wedding. We take great pride in what we do and in particular customer service.
Please be assured I will pass your comments on to the team who will be delighted. All the best to both Jordan and you for the future. Please dont be strangers.

Don

Been to Rosslea Hall Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!