“It's okay - don't forget it's a 3 star so stay somewhere else if you want plush!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Killin Hotel

You added Killin Hotel to your Saves list
Killin Hotel
3.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   Main Street | Killin, Killin, Loch Lomond and The Trossachs National Park FK21 8TP, Scotland   |
Ranked #11 of 14 Killin B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

We stayed at the Killin Hotel for 2 nights at the beginning of July as part of our honeymoon travelling up to the Hebrides. Stopped at the Falkirk wheel before heading up to Killin. Enjoyed some highland games near Killin, and visited Pitlochry before moving on to Oban. Our room was the four poster with a lovely view over River Lochay. It was nice to be able to have the window open while enjoying the view. The room is small, but fine, and the ensuite looked old, but adequate. We opened up the blinds in the ensuite and kept them open in the morning as the view past the roof of the building is nice. Upon arrival we had a light lunch in the lovely conservatory and a cooked breakfast in the dining room on both mornings of our stay. There was cereal, bread for toasting, and tea and coffee to make yourself plus fruit and yogurt were available as well. It was nice to look at all the old pictures on the wall in the bar area. Felt comfy and relaxing. Staff were friendly, and we enjoyed using the very old elevator to our room. As usual some visitors can be annoyingly loud (at breakfast), and also the shutting of the double doors to the old elevator can be heard. If you want a bit of a lay in or want to get to bed early then always take earplugs! A must when staying anywhere away from home! Happy travelling.

Room Tip: The four poster bed room overlooking River Lochay sounds like it is better than the other reviews an...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
Scotland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Stayed for two nights with groupon and would not pay anymore for this hotel as the rooms are in need of renovation. The shower was broken. Very noisy pipes when you flush the loo. Bed was old and extremely noisy. The drawer front fell off! Much dust under the bed......
I also felt that because we were groupon we were treated like second class citizens. The menu that you are given is limited......not the same as guests not on groupon so I would question the saving made.
Most of the staff were great, especially the waitress who looked after us on our second night.......made sure my sweet was served after a long wait and very politely apologised and made sure it was not on the bill.
The only recommendation I can make for this hotel is that the food is good although a bit pricey.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
west yorkshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

stayed for three nights from the 30thaugust 2013 the hotel looks nice from the outside and was not too bad inside but was greeted by unwelcoming young girl behind reception not what we expected then the fun began went up in lift and went into the room saw the bed and that was that low even i had trouble getting out of it the so called onsuite was so out of date and the smell was terrible from the toilet and sink i have stayed in better in third world countries did not expect this from a hotel in this country most of the staff were from overseas when went for breakfast the first morning that was anothier experince the bacon would have broke any bodies teeth it was so overcooked so we did not stay in for anymore meals except the last night has i did not want to drive and the meal was quite nice better than the breakfast but when i got the bill even that was wrong too many drinks on it which i had not ordered so i f they did that to me how many have they done it to if you just put on your room tab then last of all when booking out checked my bill and guess what that had drinks on that i had not had so my advice is not to put things on a tab or your room and make sure you dont have your key on display because some body will put drinks on your tab just make sure you check your bill before paying in insight i wish i had not stayed for three nights

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

i went for a 3 day break with my wife and dog great hotel cant wait to return very freindly staff and food great, the hotel is on the edge of a loch which you can hire boats.
Killin is a beautifull village just on the edge of loch Tay about an hour and a half from edinburgh and glasgow

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Killin is gorgeous, and the location between the village and Loch Tay cannot be beaten. The hotel looks pretty from the outside, but...
* the bed was noisy and uncomfortable
* the wet room was badly designed and didn't drain, meaning you needed shoes on to use the other facilities
* the interior was tatty and run-down
* and, worst of all, when we sat down in a nearly empty breakfast room, a member of staff complained about our choice of table (two people at a table set for four, as all the window tables were) and he then ostentatiously shuffled chairs around beside us. Also, breakfast was limited for vegetarians and halfway to hostel standards at best. I heard another customer being told "no, we don't do beans on toast, we can do you beans and you have to make your own toast". Seriously? Other staff were lovely, but that was seriously offputting.

Room Tip: Maybe the rooms in the hotel proper are better. We were in an external annex.
Rochester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

I was a bit nervous about going to this hotel because of some of the reviews I had read, but it was actually a lovely hotel. The staff were friendly and helpful, the room we were in (19) was a nice room, with the most beautiful river view. There were a couple things that needed slight maintenance, but they told us that they were all going through refurbishments so that will all be sorted out soon and it was nothing that bothered us anyway, very small. We loved our breakfasts (so much choice and all cooked so well) and the dinners were to die for. Massive compliments to the chef! It was a great location and such amazingly beautiful views. Overall we would definitely go again. It was a delightful hotel. We went on a Groupon voucher as well.

Room Tip: Room 19 was incredible. Didn't see any of the others so can't really give much more advice...
Cirencester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

Frankly I do not understand how this hotel continues to obtain customers. To say I am disappointed with every part of my stay is an understatement. The Killin hotel is an unclean, poorly managed and most probably illegally operating hotel.

We arrived at around midnight on Friday 23rd August and in desperate need of refreshments after a 9 hour drive dumped our bags in the rooms and went to enjoy some drinks in the bar. The first hour in the hotel was fine, the bar staff were welcoming despite being slightly more interested in talking to their peers that seemed to be taking over the hotel (great fist image).

Unfortunately our stay went downhill from there. We returned to the room expecting to enjoy a good nights sleep, unfortunately it was infested with flies and spiders. I returned to the bar and informed the "bar manager" (who, it seems, has no management control) who first tried to tell me it was my fault for leaving the windows open (they were open when we arrived) and then came to inspect the room. On entry he commented "yeh, that's bad. I wouldn't stay in here" he then claimed he would see what he could do before disappearing. We waited 15 minutes (2.15am) before going to find out what had happened to the barmen. It seems he was unable to think of a solution so had prioritised the non-resident guests and drunk colleagues in the bar instead. His response when asked what was happening was a lengthy way of saying "there is nothing I can do, we are full". We asked for a vacuum and ended up cleaning the room ourselves.

In the morning we approached the manager to express our concern over the cleanliness and poor response of the barmen, the manager pretended to listen before asking what we expected a single employee to do about the situation at 2am in the morning. The inadequate levels of competent staff is not my, nor any other guests, problem. The manager also proceeded to say "well you didn't phone me, my number is here", suggesting we should have spent our time trying to contact someone who may have shown a remote interest in guest satisfaction - although I seriously doubt he would have been of any help. Unfortunately the managers poor attitude only added to our upset, he seemed completely uninterested in our comments and instead seemed to take employee notes (presumably from the bar manager) as gospel. We made it very clear during this discussion that even without the infestation we were disappointed with the cleanliness of the room, in particular; a thick layer of dust on top of the wardrobe, broken tiles in the bathroom, damaged walls, rubbish left in the bedside drawers, cobwebs in all 9 corners of the ceiling of our tiny room, dust on top of the toilet, dust around the border of the bathroom. Naturally I would expect a complaint to be followed up and any issues raised to be addressed.

We left after the manager said he wouldn't do anything without speaking to the staff involved. We returned less than an hour later to be told that nights charge would be refunded as the housekeeping staff had "admitted to leaving the window open".
Too little, too late I feel.

We went out for the day and returned at 7pm expecting the room the have received a thorough clean following our complaint. It appears the manager didn't listen at all and every issue we mentioned was ignored. There was still a thick layer of skin cells on top of the wardrobe and toilet, still rubbish in the drawers and still two spiders in the corners of the ceiling... But someone did manage to replace the shortbread and shampoo - priorities?

This whole situation could have been easily avoided. In fact, some decent staff would have probably allowed us to turn a blind eye to the outdated and unclean hotel. If the "bar manager" had proper training he would have apologised for the lack of housekeeping and invited us back to the bar for a complimentary drink whilst he rectified the problem.

I have never had to clean my own hotel room before nor have I ever had to justify my complaint to any member of staff, let alone a manager.The manager has no customer service skills so it is little wonder the majority of other staff also lack this quality.

At breakfast the following day the so called manager spent his time swanning around the breakfast room whilst I waited for someone to offer me food. He didn't approach or even acknowledge me so I assume he was only too aware of the fact he has completely ignored our complaint and the room remained uncleaned. The table behind me also made a complaint about their room so it is clearly not just me being fussy.

My advice, DO NOT VISIT THIS "HOTEL".

Room Tip: Pick one in a different hotel
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Killin Hotel? Share your experiences!