“commodore hotel (a wee gem of a place)” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Commodore

The Commodore
112-117 West Clyde Street, Loch Lomond and The Trossachs National Park, Helensburgh, Scotland
01436-67-69-24
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #22 of 48 Restaurants in Helensburgh
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Embracing the rural charm of its tranquil, scenic setting, The Commodore offers a modern twist on traditional country pub dining. As well as offering a beer garden for enjoying summertime dining, the cosy dining room is filled with rustic original features and toasty fires for warming winter dining. Championing favourite British recipes, guests can enjoy evenings devoted to the inn's freshly-baked pies, as well as gourmet roast dinners and seasonal cocktail mixes.
Helensburgh, United Kingdom
“commodore hotel (a wee gem of a place)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

once again on my travels i passed through helensburgh,and once again i wasnt disappointed with a wee stay at travelodge and some great food from the commodore.I stayed for a day and from breakfast onwards i was well looked after :) .At breakfast i didnt want anything to heavy so asked LIZ (waitress)if i could have some poached eggs(not on menu)no problem was the reply and of she trotted to the kitchen with my order.Nothing seems to be a problem at the commodore they will bend over backwards to help you .I skipped lunch due to work commitments but had dinner that evening.I wanted something simple so i opted for the pate which was brill , a slab of pate with toasted bread and butter mmmmmm.For mains i tried the whale of a fish and i wasnt disappointed.It was massive im sure it took 2 waiters to carry my plate.Honestly it was bigger than the plate,,,,well worth the money.Friendly staff and not over priced food ,what else would you want ??

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

West Dunbartonshire
“Not up to standard of Balloch House Hotel or Tickled Trout!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

My friend Yvonne and I had arranged to meet up in Loch Lomond but decided last minute to go to Helensburgh instead! Hadn't been there in a long time and thought it would be nice for a wee look at! The front is in the middle of major refurbishment and was a bloody disaster. Probably in a few months it will be a lot better but most of the shops and pubs on the seafront looked pretty derelict. No wonder people don't go there anymore! An absolute dump.
We decided not to eat in heart of the town as even the wee pubs off beaten track looked as if they still had the nicotine stained walls of old and thought them too unsavoury to try. We opted instead to take a walk further along the seafront and head to The Commodore Hotel, part of the Vintage Inns group. I have a gourmetcard which gives 25% off the total bill.
We chose from the lunch menu (£6.50 for main course, £8.50 for 2 + £10.50 for 3). I chose main of vegetarian (bean) burger with thick chips (extra £1 supplement). As that would be big, I just chose a dish of olives to nibble on with my sauvignon blanc (bottle for £13.95). Yvonne, however, opted for the soup starter of carrot and coriander soup with crusty bread. Her main was supposed to be grilled rainbow trout with mushroom crumbed topping and served on a bed of new baby potatoes and salad. My dish was fine but Yvonne's was very dried out and had no flavour whatsoever. I did bring the matter of the colour of the fish fillet up with server Serena. She explained that their trout was fresh from a local supplier and as not farmed was not pink! The distinct lack of flavour and the dried out/overcooked state of the fillet was obviously not an accident of nature more to do with cooking skills! We chose to skip the desserts and took our drinks out to sit and enjoy the late appearing sunshine. Yvonne not only had a disaster with her main course but her soda water and blackcurrant drink had a huge crack in the glass. Serena gladly changed that for her. 2 gins (£5.60) + 2 tonics (£2.60) also on bill meant total was £41.35 reduced to £30.97 with discount. Good value but food needs to be brought up to standard. I suppose there isn't a lot of competition around in this dilapidated town. Hopefully the improvements taking place will give the town the boost it needs!! Xx

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Three strikes and you're out”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

I've had some very nice meals in the Commodore.

But I think it may be best to avoid Sundays.

I ordered a steak with brandy and peppercorn sauce. "It comes with that", said the young waitress, a tad sniffily. It doesn't, but we've all been young once, so when the manager came to unscramble the drinks order she'd also got wrong, I checked that my order for steak was down to come with brandy and peppercorn sauce, "Yes", he said, confidently. It came and didn't, so I asked the man who brought it to bring th sauce. "Straight away", he said. He didn't come back.

The original waitress came back after we had all finished eating to check everyhting had been OK. Yes, I said, apart from the now mythical brandy and peppercorn sauce. Oh, so sprry she said, I'll make sure it's not on your bill. Wow, like I'd pay for it even though it did not arrive.

No tip chaps, and you can work out why for yourselves. One star because no stars is not an option, and if I ask for something three times and it doesn't arrive, you're out. Making sure it is not on the bill is not any form of redress.

Dire

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Cheddar
“Avoid the salad option...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

On holiday in Scotland, desparate for a fresh salad (or anything non-stodgy!). This is an unpretentious eatery, part of a well known hotel chain. Thought we'd be on safe ground here. Maybe the inevitable meat pies and fish with chips options are okay but we had a "seared salmon" salad (utterly tasteless) and a steak salad (tough as old boots, full of fat and gristle. Horrid). The salad was little more than a bit of lettuce and a few beans/seeds/mango-ey cubes, swimming in oily dressing. No hint of a tomato until we ordered a side dish of 'em. Expensive and very, very disappointing. And we asked for some tap water to go with the meal which never arrived...very poor overall.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Horncastle, United Kingdom
“Excellent food not the usual pub grub”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

On entering The Commodore you think of a typical traditional pub however the menu offers a more extensive menu. Turbot on a bed of samphire with cheesy home made ravioli may sound a little unusual but was stunningly good and the slow cooked belly pork very tasty. Would recommend.

• 4 of 5 stars Food