“Pot calling the kettle black” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Killin Cottage B&B

Killin Cottage B&B
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Helensburgh
Killin Cottage B&B
You added Killin Cottage B&B to your Saves list
10 Lomond Street, Loch Lomond and The Trossachs National Park, Helensburgh G84 7PN, Scotland   |
Ranked #10 of 21 Helensburgh B&B and Inns
scotland
“Pot calling the kettle black”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012

5 of us booked in here and were offered the family room and either the rugrats room or the blue room. We took the blue room but were told we could change. 2 of us decided to use the rugrats room to sleep in as there was a tv in it . As our belongings were in the blue room we went there to get showered in the morning. We told the landlady this and she said "oh that means I have 3 bathrooms to clean. There is no bathroom in the rugrats room, only one 1 in the landing.Thought we were being honest and she would not have to change the bed in the blue room. Also told no smoking "which we were well aware off On returning in the evening the smell of dogs would have made one sick and amazing landlady was smoking. Not very friendly more regimental,

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
KillinCottage, Owner at Killin Cottage B&B, responded to this review, April 23, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. I would like to clarify the following: The Blue room (BR) and the Master bedroom (MB) were booked in advance. At time of your arrival, I was able to give you a choice of either the Blue room OR the Rugrats room (RR), explaining that the RR has a TV and is larger, therefore possibly more comfortable.

Taking the liberty of choosing to change room without informing me isn't exactly polite. . . The RR has it's own private bathroom across the landing which you had used as well. Therefore I indeed had to clean 3 bathrooms in the morning. I had also offered a discount at the time of booking, as there were children in this party.

The quality and cleanliness of my B&B is such that I change any sheets even if it had only been sat on or used to deposit luggage and my guests can at all times be assured of crisp-ironed bedding.

I make guests aware of our non-smoking policy, and in this instance I was glad I mentioned that this includes smoking out the window, as one lady admitted having done that some time ago in another establishment and having been caught out by the owner.

I'm really not sure what to say about the dog comment, as this house is and has been pet free for 10 years, since the day we moved in.

I'm grateful for this feedback, as it has tought me a lesson. I will from now on keep vacant room/s locked rather than leaving the key in the door, hence removing the possibility of anything similar happening again and avoiding the risk of additional cleaning work on departure.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
St Austell, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2011

Stayed here on two occasions over a two year period. Always found the cottage very cosy and Franke & her children very warm and friendly. We always stay during our motorcycle tours of Scotland and Killin accomodates bikers easily. The breakfast has always been a good start for the day and the facilities more than adequate. Will certainly visit again in the future and look forward to it!!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
Naoier
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2011

We had had a dreadful experience at a B&B in Windermere (Broad View - never never stay there!) and so the contrast at Killin Cottage couldn't have been greater. We stayed in the Master Bedroom, large, airy, very clean and, all in all, very satisfactory. Franka was very welcoming, helpful and an excellent hostess. When we arrived, the house was full of the wonderful smell of home-baked bread, which we had for breakfast the next morning. Certainly we would stay here again if the opportunity ever arose and we would have no hesitation in recommending this as a place to stay for a reasonable tariff.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2011

When we arrived there was no one in the property, so we went around town, when we came back, we had to wait for another couple of minutes and then the lady arrived. There are 3 rooms, we stayed in the Blue room. Good size room and shower room. This room is en-suite, but as upstairs (where the rooms are) is small, it is not bad to be in the room without bathroom inside because the bathroom is just next door. There was a TV in the common room, but we missed a TV (or even a radio) in the room. The breakfast was nice, the day before they ask the time you want to have breakfast and you can choose from the options what do you want to eat, so it is freshly done just for you.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
KillinCottage, Owner at Killin Cottage B&B, responded to this review, July 13, 2011
Thank you for your comment. At present, the blue room is the only room with out a TV. As of March 2011, I have been able to add TV's in the Master bedroom and the Rugrats room. As for the radio. . . it sits right there on the bedside cabinet. All rooms benefit from a radio-alarm clock and always have since I started welcoming guests into my home some 8 years ago.
Derby
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2010

We stayed in the blue room, quite small,(no TV). The en-suite, again very small, poor shower, no heating.
The cooked breakfast was adequate but the dining room was cold. the log fire was unlit, perhaps because we were the only guests staying.
The price was almost 'haggled' as the owner couldn't remember how much she said she would be charging. (she doesn't answer emails).
No off street parking.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
KillinCottage, Owner at Killin Cottage B&B, responded to this review, April 8, 2011
I'm sorry to read this couple did not enjoy their stay. The blue room is rather small compared to the others, however it is a comfortable size for a short stay. The compact shower room is advertised as such. I'm surprised to read that the shower was poor and the room cold, nothing that couldn't have been rectified with a simple knock on my door and a quick chat if my explanation of how to use the shower or adjust the central heating radiator wasn't satisfactory. All beds benefit from a superior quality memory foam mattress topper. Having the fire going doesn't depend on the guests, but rather if I have wood available or not. I do have off street parking. None of my guest rooms have TVs, which is public knowledge, however I do have a guest lounge with TV (and a log fire). As of March 2011 there are antenna cables to all rooms, and TVs have been and will be put in gradually as and when I can afford them.
Stockton-on-Tees, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2009

I decided at short notice to stop off in Helensburgh instead of travelling straight home from further north in Scotland. I hadn't booked in advance, just turned up at the Tourist Office and they booked me in to Killin Cottage. I found that it was in a very convenient location - you could park the car there and it was only a short walk to the centre of Helensburgh with shops, cafes and pubs. The room was clean and comfortable; it wasn't ensuite but had a private bathroom with bath robes provided. There was a sitting room downstairs which guests could use which is also where breakfast was served. Overall I was very happy with my stay, especially as it was such a last minute arrangement and I would certainly stay there again if I was passing through Helensburgh.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo
London, Uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2008

Killin Cottage has three well-equipped bedrooms, home-baked bread for the packed lunch, excellent breakfast, lovely family atmosphere (the owner's children are sweet), a real wood fire, near to the station and pier, and useful advice. All at a good price. What more could you want.

Stayed July 2008

Been to Killin Cottage B&B? Share your experiences!