“Best Ever” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ben More Lodge Hotel

You added Ben More Lodge Hotel to your Saves list
Ben More Lodge Hotel
Stirling Road, Crianlarich, Loch Lomond and The Trossachs National Park FK20 8QS, Scotland   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Crianlarich
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Best Ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2007

The "Benmore Lodge Hotel" was one of my best stays in Scotland yet, such wonderful scenery and very nice locals. The lodges are cosy and very well priced. Bar area was very homely and welcoming. Food was exellent and also, very well priced, would definitely go back to such a wonderful place in a wonderful country!

• Liked — Cosy, Well looked after, Sky TV
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Aberdeenshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2007

I stayed in one of the little wooden chalets about a year ago, and thought I'd drop by to take my friend for a drink.
The first thing which struck me was the writing on the walls from visitors who were walking the West Highland Way. It had all been penned with markers, and apart from some comments being offensive, it just looked like vandalism.
More importantly, the place was very dirty and the glasses we were both offered for a beer were disgustingly filthy. Very, very poor. Oh, and the beer was £3 a pint!
This place has definetely went downhill.

• Liked — Used to be nice.
  • Disliked — Very dirty
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Travelers are raving about these Crianlarich hotels

Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2006

The management went above and beyond, helping to find lodging, and providing a warm and hospitable dinner!
Driving through the Trossachs at Eastertime, I didn't have reservations for the night. Stopped at this homey lodge-style hotel. The barman (I think he was the owner) said they were full for the night, and most of the accommodations in the area probably were as well, due to the Easter vacationers. He got on the phone, called around, and found for me a B&B in the town with one room left, and gave me directions. Later, after I checked into the Glenardran B&B (very nice!) I came back and had dinner in the Ben More Lodge Restaurant. It was crowded with locals, and wonderfully homey and welcoming. The food was great, and an old gentle family dog was lounging around. Next time, I'll make reservations to stay there! [------]

• Liked — Friendly and helpful management
  • Tips/Secrets — Reserve ahead
  • Stayed April 2006, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
South East England
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2006

Stayed at Ben More Lodge in June 2005 as we were touring round Scotland. Our room was dirty, with a very grubby carpet and drink stains on the front of the dressing table. The toilet seat was broken away (although the owner did fix this as soon as it was noted) and the toilet would not flush most of the time. The shower curtain had mould along the bottom and when the shower was turned on the water came out of everywhere apart from the head!! The bathroom was so disgusting that it made us feel sick to go in there!!!

The food in the restaurant was okay, but by the time breakfast came round the next day we couldn't wait to leave. We did think at the time this may have been because the owners had just taken over the business, but having read the more recent reviews, it still sounds much the same, which is a shame.

One piece of advice, if you do end up there and a little voice in your head is saying leave, just go..... it really isn't worth it.

• Liked — Leaving the next day
  • Disliked — Very dirty
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't go there
  • Stayed June 2005, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
aberdeen,scotland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2006

what a dreadful place. was embarrassed to be Scottish taking guests there. my lodge was filthy carpet had not been hoovered for weeks, thick film of dust on the teapot on the inroom tray, dead insects on the base of the shower, cobwebs across the bathroom window. we actually discussed writing off the prepaid booking and moving on but no mobile signal so couldn't phone around to find an alternative hotel. complained bitterly to the manageress but just got a shrug and a feeble 'sorry' . had a one-course meal in the bar restaurant (that was enough) and was shortchanged over £10 corrected on my challenge. breakfast advertised as 08.30 arrived at the door with several others but it remained shut until 08.45 and then had a very poor breakfast.
we could not get away from this place fast enough. absolutely appalling. an embarrassment to Scotland.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — dirty
  • Tips/Secrets — avoid
  • Stayed June 2006
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Bedfordshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2006

Fantastic location but let down by a complete lack of attention to detail. It felt as though they assume they'll get enough passing trade without making any effort for repeat trade ( I certainly won't be going back). As stated in other reviews our lodge was dirty, clearly had not been hoovered, and several bulbs and the heated towel rail were not working. The shower was feeble. There was no hairdryer (this is Scotland!!). When we reported faults they didn't apologise and didn't seem bothered. There was a scruffy menu for the restaurant in the room but no info on what time to check out/breakfast etc. The whole place including the restaurant had an air of neglect and needed a good clean (especially the windows).

When we did go to breakfast although the waitress was friendly there was nothing else pleasant about the experience. Tea and coffee were not served in pots, you had to help yourself to water (which was not hot enough) and make your own. Cereal bowls were dirty and there was a choice of three cereals. Toast was cold and made from nasty cheap bread, only butter and marmalade were available (no jam, honey etc), and the cooked breakfast included raw (supposedly grilled) tomatoes, no mushrooms, and the most revolting scrambled eggs which stuck to the plate. My partner had poached eggs, one of which was so undercooked it was practically raw. I doubt this kind of experience is what Visit Scotland are hoping to promote.

• Stayed May 2006
Aberdare
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2006

We, my partner, son aged 5 and myself, booked into this hotel for three nights at the end of April 2006. We booked it because it was near to Loch Tay, which was where we wanted to stay. On arrival after travelling for 4 hours, I was actually recuperating from major surgery, the vibes were not good. The young lady who 'welcomed' us relieved my debit card of £82.15, I then pointed out that we were actually booked in for three nights, she then wanted me to pay another £164.30 up front, by now I was more than suspicious, most Hotels that I normally use are happy for me to pay on check out. The room/lodge that we were allocated was totally unsuitable for a family, smelt revolting and I am sure that if I had been feeling better, we would have left straightaway.

Unfortunately, we decided to have dinner mistake number two, they managed to undercook two fillet steaks and then returned them overcooked. Mistake No 3 we complained but paid the bill in cash £34 and went to bed. Be warned apart from the filth, the smells you also hear every vehicle going past and lorries travel all through the night.

In the morning, we thought well no one can mess up breakfast, don't you believe it we had a breakfast swimming in fat! We didn't really care any more, we had already decided that we were going to complain to the management cut our losses and go. Unfortunately, the management actually are rather negative and just told my partner that they would be taking another £82.15 from my account, which they did.

I have subsequently complained to the hotel, VisitScotland and the AA, to date no response from the hotel but am in contact with VisitScotland. My advice just don't go there!

• Stayed April 2006

Been to Ben More Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!