“A once a year ritual/treat” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Monachyle Mhor

You added Monachyle Mhor to your Saves list
Monachyle Mhor
Balquhidder, Balquhidder, Loch Lomond and The Trossachs National Park FK19 8PQ, Scotland   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Balquhidder
Stirling, United Kingdom
“A once a year ritual/treat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

Booked this back in Feb (stayed Oct) with partial funding by gift voucher. Our 6th visit. Only 1 hour from Stirling but feels very remote. Lack of mobile reception only downer but better than it was.

Room, in main hotel, was lovely. All of the rooms are very different.

Wine list extensive and interesting. Ditto the beer list.

Food very good but not quite as good as it once was. Breakfasts still superb.

Place has a lovely informal feel. Think "dress down" Airds Hotel.

Not cheap , @£500 for 2 per night with nice booze, but a "must do" once a year treat.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Larbert, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

The location is stunning and in October the Autumn colours were sensational - a real get away from it all place.
We had booked a house room as we were only staying for one night. The room was basic. The shower door must not have fitted properly as the floor was flooded after using the shower - noticed previous reviews pointing this out and it speaks volumes that no one has sorted this out for accommodation at just under £200 per night.
The bar is "snug" with room for two small tables and a few bar stools. Good selection of quality gins - try The Botanist with a sprig of rosemary! A delight.
Dinner was much anticipated because we had heard great things - however, the flavour combinations did not quite work. Major disappointment was our main course - we ordered lamb - no mention of offal on the menu or from waiting staff - personal food hell for me - and would not have ordered if I had known the lamb came with liver and kidney. Three other diners seemed to have the same issue. Waiter apologised but he was just a young lad - no sign of chef or owner facing up to a disappointed customer.
At just short of £400 for 1 night we have tried it but will be going elsewhere next time. Underwhelmed with hotel and food, overwhelmed with location and scenery.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

Stayed here for a family event, and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. The room was very clean, and the bed very comfortable. The decor is an interesting mix of old and new styles, and the fittings are all very modern. The bathroom (no bath) featured a steam room within the shower.
The hotels setting is fantastic, and the staff were very helpful and friendly. The owners have two dogs - both of whom are quite friendly without being annoying.
The food is well known in foodie circles as being excellent, and the menu for our party of sixteen was exquisite - with the vegetarians being catered for as excellently as the rest of us.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
lanarkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Can't praise this amazing hotel enough.. Am normally very fussy and very picky but I could not find fault in this hotel at all.. Room was gorgeous.. Great choice.. Food was delicious.. Loch Fyne oysters and hand dived scallops were a total surprise!! Great ambience .. Great wine... Homemade bread and scones mmm.... The walks, scenery.. All perfect... Anything you ask the staff " it's not a problem' we managed to squeeze a 2nd night out of it thanks to a cancellation and breakfast was an event just as dinner is - so glad we managed to squeeze in 2..Having been here many times for lunch and walks we always fancied coming to stay and so glad we did... Definitely be back soon.. Not cheap at all but worth Every Penny in my eyes.. Doesn't get any better than this... So sad to leave.. Walked 21k from fri to sun so worked off all our treats.. Thank you to Tom Lewis who waited on Fri morning for us to arrange mushroom foraging with him however we missed ea other as we were running slightly late.. Nice touch and very much appreciated .. Met So many lovely guests and staff will definitely be a home from home for us now ... Missing it already ... Special thanks to Jamie who is so attentive and charismatic... Hope to see you all soon...

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

I was thoroughly looking forward to my stay here after having my eye on this place for a long time but was always held back by feeling like I couldn't justify somewhere so expensive for one night. But my curiosity got the better of me and we decided to go for it. The setting is so serene with beautiful scenery and it is worth the long single track road drive to arrive (although I don't know If I'd brave it in the depths of winter).

We were in one of the more expensive "feature" rooms which was definitely unique and spacious with a wonderful view of the mountains. However, there was something quite "bare" feeling about it and it and could have had a few more features to add more warmth and cosiness. The bed was amazingly comfortable. Although you can easily log on to the hotels wifi - it just doesn't work at all which was quite frustrating.

We had really high hopes for dinner due to the £55 a head price tag and I left with mostly mixed feelings. The service was lovely and warm and paced really well. However, my beef carpaccio starter was nothing special and my halibut main was tiny - just a very very small piece of fish that took me all of 2 minutes to eat. It could have easily passed for a starter and I was still pretty hungry after it. However, my partners main of venison was really really good. Maybe I just made an unlucky choice. Desserts also weren't particularly pleasing - mostly mousse based and nothing of much substance. Overall it really was a pleasant experience but at such a high price tag we did feel slightly cheated. Bigger portions please! We spent time having drinks in the really tiny but thoroughly cosy bar and I would recommend this - they done a lovely elderflower cocktail (also not cheap) but well worth trying. Breakfast was great with posh mueslis, scones and a wonderful scrambled egg (the best I've tried) and smoked salmon.

I would have rated this excellent if it had been better value. I'd definitely like to revisit Monachyle Mhor and would recommend it. This place is never going to be cheap and deservedly so but at almost £400 for one night of dinner, bed and breakfast I really couldn't justify it again unless there was some sort of special offer in the future.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Jedburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

As part of my 50th Birthday ( Last December !) My darling wife bought me / us a sea plane trip from Cameron House to Monachyle Mhor. ( calendar dates and work stoped us from doing this earlier) Now, i`m a bloke and the lunch bit to me was secondary, albeit looking awesome on the web, it kind of took second place to my flight. Im not going to droll on about the flight, im doing a review on that as well, but, our experience at the Monachyle Mhor made a perfect day just perfect! We arrived to a beautiful glass of chilled champagne, served by a very well presented barman, who was genuinely polite. As we were on a timetable, we selected a beautiful table in a wee alcove, and took our champers outside to take in the breathtaking scenery surrounding us.I ordered a nice bottle of Malbec (wife offered to drive) and we selected our courses from a very simple but appetizing menu. I chose the Fresh clam and langostine starter, with a Pollock main, Carol had the Cauliflower ad truffle soup with the Tamworth Pork as a main.......wow. Faultless. Coincidentally, my sister in law was staying with her husband for the weekend, so we took the remainder of the vino outside and opted for our third course of the Cheeseboard to be served outside; absolutely lovely. I went for a wander around en route to the bathroom, and took in the splendid interiors of the hotel bar, reception, courtyard and an awesome wine rack built into the wall, I think under stairs?. we could not fault our visit and certainly plan to return for a stay as I did spot one or two rather nice looking single malts just crying to be sampled!! Thanks guys for making our day complete!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013 via mobile

This was my third visit to MM. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and our meal; given the season I was worried that there would be too much game on the menu (most of which I dislike) but as it turned, there was a good selection of dishes. The atmosphere was relaxed and friendly. It's a pity the bar is soooo small; there were no seats left when we arrived and sitting in the other lounge felt a bit far from the hub of things. Our room (14) was a feature room with steam shower. We loved it! There was an elegant mix of modern and vintage accessories, and a very spacious bathroom. One thing that could be improved: the bathroom needs a better mirror (only one small magnifying mirror installed). Also, I would have preferred to choose my cooked breakfast items (I don't like haggis and missed having a sausage!) Overall, a bit pricey but a nice treat.

• Stayed September 2013

Been to Monachyle Mhor? Share your experiences!