“Liz Bates is our favourite person ever” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Bay Cottage

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Balmaha
Bay Cottage
You added Bay Cottage to your Saves list
Balmaha | Loch Lomond, Balmaha, Loch Lomond and The Trossachs National Park G63 OJ2, Scotland   |
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Liz Bates is our favourite person ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

I won't bore you with the entire story, suffice to say had it not been for Liz (The Proprietor) we would never have made it past the first day of the West Highland Way. Her wonderful welcome, home baked goods and local knowledge and advice really made the first day of our trip special and I'm only sorry it's taken me so long to write this review.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Christopher B, Owner at Bay Cottage, responded to this review, June 21, 2014
Thank you for your overly kind review. 'Liz Bates is our favourite person ever' is really lovely to hear! I'm glad I could help & managed to spur you on. The first day can, physiologically, be the hardest. Local Knowledge always helps & I love to be able to help out in any way I can. I've walked the walk myself & know how enjoyable it can be, but also how prepared you have to be for it!
Until next time,
Best wishes,

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

Liza made us feel right at home as soon as we arrived and we enjoyed afternoon tea and home baked cakes and biscuits on the decking in warm, April sun. Our rooms were warm and comfortable and it was great to be able to use the hot tub as and when we wanted. Liza is a kind hearted and generous hostess and breakfasts at Bay Cottage are truly amazing. Nothing is too much trouble and the food is of the highest quality, well presented, freshly cooked to order and delicious! We're going to make sure that a stay at Bay Cottage becomes an annual event!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Christopher B, Owner at Bay Cottage, responded to this review, June 21, 2014
Thank you for your lovely review.
The decking is a fantastic place to sit back, relax with a cup of tea (or Gin & Tonic), have a good chat & I'm really glad that you enjoyed it.
Food is to be enjoyed & quality is important. We're lucky enough to live in a country which produces such fantastic produce & in such abundance, so its my philosophy to enjoy it & make the most of it.
I'm glad you're making your visit a yearly event & I look forward to seeing you for many more years to come.
Many thanks again,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

Over generous host! Lots of communication before we arrived.
Hot tub was ideal after first day of West Highland Way.

Breakfast was extensive as was the packed lunch for £5.50

Highly recommend. We stayed in wee cottage to ourselves, 4 of us.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Christopher B, Owner at Bay Cottage, responded to this review, June 21, 2014
Thank you for your lovely review.

The hot tub is a great way to rest your tired feet & set yourself up for your day ahead!

I'm really glad you enjoyed your stay & that the breakfast & packed lunch got you through day!

Haste ye back,
Glasgow
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014

We arrived at the Bay Cottage B&B after day 1 of walking the West Highland Way. We were warmly welcomed by Liz and the tea and home baking went down a treat! Just what we needed after 20 miles. There was lots on offer: scone, mars bar cake, fruit loaf and we even sampled home made houmous. We made use of the hot tub and were provided with towels and robes. The views from the garden and hot tub are fantastic.This is an added luxury and was a big plus when booking. The B&B is in a great location in Balmaha with the Oak Tree Inn opposite serving good food and drink. We will definitely return again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Huntingdon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

This is not your average B&B. What makes it special is not the rooms, which are fine but fairly standard, but the owner, who is just about the most friendly and welcoming we have ever come across, and the food. The breakfasts are excellent and substantial, with a good range of alternatives to the full cooked breakfast. And then there are the afternoon teas. We've stayed in places that give afternoon tea on arrival, but never one where it is provided every day. These teas are pretty substantial, too, and include some delicious home baking by the owner's 92 year old mother. By taking full advantage of the breakfast and the afternoon tea we were able to go without any other meals at all one day - which makes the place brilliant value for money, though when we did want a meal, the Bay Tree Inn just over the road was also excellent.. Other pluses are the lovely views of the loch, and the hot tub, which is available to guests at all day up to 9 p.m. The only slight down side was the lack of tea and coffee making facilities in the room. Of course, you could go down and ask for tea or coffee at any time. It was nice to have fresh milk, not UHT, and there was always the offer of "a wee biscuit" (which was, of course, more than just a biscuit) to accompany your tea. However, I do like to make a cup of tea as soon as I wake up, and I wasn't able to do this. This aside, though, I would thoroughly recommend this place as somewhere very special.

Room Tip: You have a choice of a room in the house, or a garden room in the annex. The garden rooms do have te...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Wishaw, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

Had the pleasure of visiting Bay Cottage B & B on Friday evening with my Husband, Daughter & Son in Law and my 2 Grandchildren. My daughter was running in the area on Saturday morning and booked us in here for 1 evening and I can honestly say we have never felt more welcome in a B & B before. Liz is a lovely lady who ensures that all your needs are met, from the minute you arrive she does everything to ensure your stay is perfect. We had a lovely front facing room overlooking the Loch, it was a lovely clean well decorated room, lovely and warm with TV, we also had sole use of a huge bathroom/shower room. My Daughter and her family had a large room next door also with en suite facilities, their room also had a loch view. She was so nice to my grandchildren, she had a great stock of childrens books and made a great fuss of them. We went to the Inn across the road for a meal and when we came back she had tea, scones and fruit loaf with butter and jam all laid out for us which we all ate in front of a roaring log fire, it was lovely. She also offered us the use of her Hot Tub, with costumes and robes provided, by that time it was time to get the children ready for bed so we declined on this occasion !! but I am sure the next time my Daughter and her Husband visit they will take her up on the offer.The breakfast the next morning was perfect, served in a beautiful Conservatory. The choice on offer was amazing, something to please everyone and massive portions, Liz even provided a bag of bread for the children to go over to the edge of the Loch and feed the ducks before we left, they were delighted at this, she is obviously very fond of children and does all she can to ensure they are happy. I was sorry we were only there for 1 night but we will be back !!! Thanks again for making our stay so nice.

Room Tip: I think you would be happy with any room provided
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Swansea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

The is an exceptional B&B. The location and facilities are wonderful - including a hot tub! Best of all, however, was the kindness shown by the owner who catered for the dietary needs of my son who has multiple food allergies. The home baking was excellent - but enabling Harri to enjoy homemade scones and pancakes was above and beyond. Thank you!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Bay Cottage? Share your experiences!