“Excellent day out” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Loch Lomond Bird of Prey Centre

Loch Lomond Bird of Prey Centre
Ben Lomond Way, Balloch, Loch Lomond and The Trossachs National Park G83 8QL, Scotland
+44 1389 729239
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 10 Attractions in Balloch
Type: Nature/ Wildlife Areas, Zoos & Aquariums
More attraction details
Owner description: Loch Lomond Bird of Prey Centre is located in the natural woodland. With purpose built housings, it is an ideal setting for nearly 40 Birds of Prey & Owls. The centre is home to over 20 Owls, representing every native species as well as unique or unusual species from other parts of the world. See "Orla", the magnificent Golden Eagle. And learn of our successes in rehabilitation of wild Birds of Prey & Owls in conjunction with the Scottish SPCA. An educational day out for all ages, and a chance to relax in wonderful surroundings.
Callander, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Excellent day out”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

Absolutely superb day out for the family. Stewart was very helpful & informative. He has a clear passion working with the birds & its remarkable how he handles them with such care & compassion. I would highly reccommend Loch Lomond Bird of Prey Centre to anyone. Its a great day out. Many thanks Stewart & best wishes for a successful 2013!
Louise, Terry, Olivia & Sophie

Visited December 2012

Stirling, United Kingdom
“"Absolutely fantastic experience -will be back!"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

I visited the Loch Lomond Bird of Prey Centre with my grand children the other day and have to say that the experience was terrific. Although secluded in the corner of a garden centre, once found, this was a great experience. The centre provided excellent value for money. The owner (Stewart) spent ages telling us about the different types of birds, ranging from small to large owls, hawks, kestrels, falcons and finally to a beautiful eagle called Orla. His interaction with his birds of prey was remarkable and well worth a visit. Thanks also to the volunteer staff on duty who also made us feel most welcome - we will definitely be back. I also ended up sponsoring a small owl called "Keeva" in the name of my Grandaughter.

Visited January 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Superb experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

We found this place on our last visit to Scotland and thoroughly enjoyed it. We have been to some bigger centres where there is more going on but this offered something different and, in our opinion, better due to its intimacy. We were able to talk to Stewart, the owner, for some time about not only the birds (which were fantastic) but also the history of the place and the practicalities of running such a place pretty much single-handedly. We found Stewart to be an inspiration and his knowledge and care of the birds superb. We have fond memories of our visit and urge others to go and take a look!

Visited November 2012
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
“More interaction with birds needed.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

Visited with my wife and two year old son and thought that whilst it was great to see the variety of birds and hear there stories, we felt that the centre could offer far more.

We were there for over an hour and at no time were any of the birds taken from their individual cages or flown. I would expect a bird centre like this to at least offer this but alas no - especially as we were there during one of the two daily 'tours'.

Apparantly only a handfull are flown a few times a week whilst the rest remain tied to their perches! The birds just sit there whilst a long drawn out story about them is told, which all the children and some adults were obviously finding a bit boring.

The owner stuart needs to learn to smile and speak to his customers rather than simply skulk around looking miserable.

To make this place more of a success and to attract guests to return, a select few birds should be released and flown for the guests, or even just removed and held by the staff. Its not much to ask and is offered at every other bird centre ive visited.

I wont be returning.

Greenock, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Awestruck by Orla”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

I had visited the centre earlier this year after a long standing desire to go.

Boy, I was not disappointed, getting up close to the animals was just an amazing experience, Stuart was on hand to talk very informatively about each one of them, we began in the Owl sanctuary, (myself, sister-in-law and niece) along with a couple of others who had arrived at the same time - Stuart spent time with each seperate group giving us an understanding of what the centre does etc, then what I was waiting for - time for the birds of prey.

I have to say walking through that door from the visitor centre and out with the falcons, kestrels etc, I almost skipped with excitement - again Stuart spent time with us talking through each and every seperate bird and telling us of their individual quirks.

I took my camera and managed to take several photos of each one, but there was one creature that I gravitated towards again, and again - Orla, a magnificent and majestic Golden eagle, just seing her was fabulous, and being able to get arms length from her whilst taking photos was amazing, even better when Stuart got in alongside her and she began preening his hair!! You can see there is a great bond between animal and handler.

This is a place I plan to visit again and again, other stuff has prevented me from doing so, thus far, but I hopefully will have the time to do so soon!!

Visited July 2012