“No communication” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Chandlers Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ascog
Chandlers Hotel
You added Chandlers Hotel to your Saves list
Ascog Bay, Ascog PA20 9ET, Scotland   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ascog
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“No communication”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

I thought I would just post a review anyway even though I didnt get a chance to use my purchased deal.
A few months ago I needed a break so purchased a Groupon deal for this hotel. Each time I tried to book over the phone, the phone rang out - no answer. Time was running out so I sent an email through the hotel website and to date have never received a reply.
I eventually contacted Groupon and they refunded my money.
I'm glad now that I didnt get booked after reading all the reviews (and the follow up from owners). Whatever happened to customer service, the impression I get is that they cant just grin and bear it when getting a bad review, they just let rip with insults.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
allisongibb, Manager at Chandlers Hotel, responded to this review, December 16, 2012
I have read your review with interest and can only apologise that you feel you were let down. We are more than happy to accept criticism when it is due and apologise if we get it wrong. I am not prepared however to have me business slated by people that are rude and sulk if they don't get their own way.

The Groupon deal that you purchased was a little different than normal as you were required to book via the Groupon booking site ‘survey monkey ‘as stated in the voucher fine print.

“ bookings required online via http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/chandlershotel”

Unfortunately we were unable to take bookings any other way as we wouldn’t have received any payment if it hadn’t gone through their site.

I’m unsure as to why you couldn’t get any answer from telephoning the hotel directly as the phone ringing out isn’t something that would happen as we live on the premises and therefore answer the phone constantly. Maybe the number you were given was incorrect as it wasn’t printed on the voucher.

I’m sorry that your experience with Chandlers wasn’t what you expected and indeed should have received but as you can see from the majority of people that successfully used their Groupon we were and are still happy to help wherever possible.

I understand that you have received a full refund from Groupon – who had your money all along as your contract was with them, however if you would like to visit us then please call me directly and I will be more than happy to honour the same deal.

Best Wishes for 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

A group of us were booked in for 4 nights as a shooting party. I had already spoken to the owner, Alison, to ask as to wether I could bring a dog, she told me no in such a rude manner. Our first impressions on seeing the hotel were not good, the reception by the husband Andrew (when we eventually managed to track him down) was Luke warm, and upon entering the bedroom we were horrified. It was small, the bed was small with just enough room to walk around it, you had to enter the bathroom backwards as it was hard to turn around once in there. Two of our party said their rooms were filthy, one having a tampax box in the bathroom, the other one said they didn't like walking on the carpet it was so dirty and there were bottle tops on the floor.
We were told we had to pay for the 4 nights up front, when we questioned this, Alison was so very rude, saying it was common practice in all the best hotels (of which this was not one of them) , and said to my husband in a very sarky manner had he ever stayed at the Hilton, as that is what they do, he said he had many times and no they didn't, we all aid as she was getting nasty.
The shooting we had booked was a con and not what it should have been, so my husband and I came home the next day, we didn't get a refund so we asked if our friends could use the money owing us behind the bar or for food, she said yes, but found out when the others got back, she only allowed a quarter of what was owing.
Alison had a bad habit of listening to our conversations from another room then come in and comment so we were afraid to have a conversation in the hotel.
In short, the summary is, the hotel is dirty and shabby, Alison and Andrew were not the best hosts, but on a plus side the food was good.
A word of warning though, we were advised to pay for our drinks each day as if left there were extra ones added, and this was the case with one of the party's drink/coffee bill the first night.
I wouldn't recommend this hotel at all and would most certainly not go back there.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
allisongibb, Manager at Chandlers Hotel, responded to this review, December 9, 2012
I’ve been waiting for this and could have bet money on your review! Toys out the pram time!

These are the details, not fabrication just pure fact.

During the winter months, shooting is very popular on the island and as such a lot of people choose to return year after year and CHOOSE to stay with us.

Your party arranged your own shooting trip directly with a shooting agent and booked to stay with us. We have nothing whatsoever to do with the shooting we are quite simply a hotel.

All of your group had the good manners to phone directly and pay the required deposit. You didn’t as I can only assume that you felt this was beneath you. Your party organizer therefore ensured us that if you cancelled he would pay your balance. Your party organizer was also made aware of our cancellation policy and payment terms which he accepted as does everyone else.

You called the hotel and asked to bring your dog. I explained very nicely that unfortunately we do not take dogs – no matter how small and well behaved.

Your arrival at the hotel was before check in, which you had been advised of beforehand and therefore reception was unmanned. Andrew immediately came down from his rest and allowed you to check in early.

As with all holidays it is not unreasonable to pay for your holiday upfront. This had been explained beforehand but as none of you had paid in full you were requested to pay your balance on arrival. My comment to your husband about this been standard practice was just so. It is standard practice. I personally stay in hotels monthly and I’m always required to either pay when booking or produce my credit card on arrival.

I engaged in conversation with all of you quite a lot over the time that you were here asking whether I could do anything for you and whether everything was to your satisfaction. Obviously you either lied at the time or are lying now. Which is it?

Your comments about the cleanliness of the rooms is quite astonishing as everyone can see from the previous reviews that the hotel is immaculate especially as most rooms were redecorated late summer and all bedrooms were re-carpeted.

It is also a total fabrication that any tampax boxes were left in any rooms as we have not had any female guest under the age of 60 in those rooms for over 6 weeks. In the unlikely event that one box had been left by accident some 6 weeks ago, the fact that the rooms have been cleaned at least 35 times since then I think we would have spotted this!

The room that you were given isn’t a small room and has never caused a problem for anyone else that we are aware of, but it doesn’t have a king-size bed, it has a standard double. It was unfortunate that you were given this room given your husbands dimensions however we weren’t to know that you required a larger bed. Maybe your friends could have suggested that you take one of the rooms with the king-size beds as obviously they are far more used to your husbands size than I am but as they didn’t I can only assume that you didn’t mention this to them.

The shooting that you had arranged yourself wasn’t what you were expecting and due to the fact that you didn’t want to continue you decided to go home early. That was entirely your decision. You were informed of our cancellation policy – displayed on our website - before you booked. Your room was reserved for 4 days and as you are aware we were full during your time here. We had turned business aware to another hotel – again you were aware of this. Why on earth would you expect me to give you your money back just because you had ‘changed your mind’ As a gesture of goodwill I credited your parties drinks account with the difference between the Dinner B&B rate and the B&B rate to compensate for the food you didn’t eat. I didn’t have to do this but I did! There was no way under the shining sun that you were entitled to a credit for your accommodation as well.

Your comments regarding the additions on the bills is yet another fabrication as your party drank/spent so little that any mistake could be rectified easily if one had ever occurred – which one didn’t.

As for listening to your conversations – the people on the floors above could hear you!
I didn’t make any comments regarding your conversations only suggestions that I thought might help.

You were a very strange group, on the ferry over some of your party were already arguing. I know this as I was travelling on the same ferry and heard you. Whilst here one of the ladies in the group complained that she had been pushed out and one of the gents complained that you and your husband were always moaning about something and they were generally embarrassed. All of this was laid bare in front of me as this is my hotel.

I fully understand that you were disappointed about your lack of walking ability and therefore your inability to do your shooting however none of this has anything to do with the hotel.

I truly believe that you are bitter and angry and therefore because you didn’t get your money back from the shooting agent and you have no-one else to complain to, you have decided to maliciously slate my hotel. You will probably try to get the rest of your party to do the same.

After the extra effort that I put in looking after you all, including alterations to the menus, flasks of coffee – free gratis, cough sweets, hot water bottles, phoning around trying to organize things for your party to do and the general goodwill shown towards your group your comments are disgraceful.
Shame on you!!!
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Stayed one night 3/11/12 in the Ferguson suite the room was lovely with great views over the water,the hotel was very easy to find and the staff very welcoming indeed and very attentive without being "in your face".The food was lovely and i would recommend eating in the hotel ,portion size just right a truely lovely time and we will definately return to this little gem of a place ,thank you again Chandlers .

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

Visited this hotel courtesy of our family and despite it being Autumn the weather was great. Our accommodation was in The Montgomery Suite which, in addition to being most comfortable, offered incredible views out over the water. Food was excellent and Andrew was courtesy personified. It is our intention to return in the foreseeable future and I would have absolutely no hesitation in giving Chandlers the highest possible recommendation.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
glasgow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

Spent our anniversary at this superb hotel was upgraded to The Montgomery Suite. Fabulous views over water, room 1st class. Had the best meal ever in restaurant I really will go back to go through the menu many thanks David the Chef, Andrew and Alison very attentive and told us the history of the place..go for yourself and find a great welcome beautiful bedrooms and 1st class food The breakfast was super too. Books, Grand piano and musical instruments there for use of, I honestly cannot fault this wonderful hotel and I booked through Itison!! The decking is a bonus and would be great in better weather for meals.

Room Tip: Ask for sea view
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

Stayed here recently, as part of a groupon deal. We took our bikes over to Bute on the ferry. This is a lovely spot for a bit of easy cycling. The hotel was nice, the staff friendly, and we ate in the restaurant both nights we were there and the food was really nice.
I'd be happy to recommend this place.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Glasgow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

Just back from a few days at chandlers. Lovely hotel, great food and fabulous staff. Offered a sea view upgrade which we took and enjoyed great sea views. Breakfast was wonderful and so filling we didn't need lunch.
Had dinner in the restaurant which was simply suberb and anyone who finds fault in the potion sizes is obviously a bit of a glutten.
Rooms we very well appointed with nice little extras. Great selection of books and DVDs to choose from. Baby grand piano and plenty of guitars which guests are free to use in the lounge.
All in all a great mini break. Thanks to the owners and the staff who were all so friendly.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are great but we had a look at standard rooms and they were nice too.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Chandlers Hotel? Share your experiences!