“idyllic island experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Balmory Hall

Balmory Hall
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ascog
Balmory Hall
You added Balmory Hall to your Saves list
Balmory Road, Ascog, Scotland   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Ascog B&B and Inns
leeds
“idyllic island experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2007

Unusual by it's combination of grandeur, comfort and friendliness. Tony and Beryl, the owners, ensure your visit is a joy from beginning to end. The breakfasts are tremendous and the first time we went we were still sitting at the comunal table at 11.am due to the company.
Equally you can choose to be quite private. Our second visit we were treated to the sight of 3 deer and a large hare bounding over the grounds and a seal on a rock immediately by the road outside.
When you first arrive there is usually afternoon tea with home made cakes and if you can't make it you will find the aforesaid cakes in your room later.
Our next visit is already planned and we are bringing my brother and his wife.

• Liked — serenity
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed April 2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2007

My family and i have just spent 4 magical days staying with Tony and Beryl at Balmory hall .It was heaven the hosts really cater for your every need and not in a commercial way at all .The quality of the accomodation is second to none .Breakfast wow !! simply sumptious i have never seen such an array of home cooked goodies the poached peaches require a special mention .All i can add is go on treat yourself you deserve it we will be back i can assure you .Tony and Beryl you have set the standard by which all should follow ,thank you for a wonderful time thank you for spoiling my wife so much.All the very best from the Dally family .

Stayed December 2006
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2006

My husband and I stayed at Balmory Hall with our respective parents and various other family members in August 2006. We were getting married in Mount Stuart on the Saturday and arrived at Balmory the day before the wedding. I was feeling tired, jittery and more than a little overwhelmed by the stresses of the wedding planning process and the magnitude of the occasion ahead of us. Straight away Tony and Beryl put me at ease. They are natural hosts and their hospitality was second to none. Homebaked cakes and tea in the drawing room ensured that I would be struggling with the zip of my wedding dress the following day!

Awakening on the morning of the wedding in the fabulous Bute suite, I drew back the curtains to the magnificent panoramic view of Ascog Bay. My ('future' at this point) husband had stayed in a separate hotel the previous night for reasons of tradition, and I couldn't help but feel quite sorry for him that he was missing out on the Balmory experience! After a brisk run along the front into Rothesay and back it was time for me to experience one of Beryl's legendary breakfasts. After some freshly mixed muesli and yoghurt, freshly squeezed orange and cranberry juice and homebaked bread, it was time for a splendid cooked Scottish breakfast. Most brides to be might have stopped at this point, but when Beryl then produced some still warm hand baked scones with homemade jam, all thoughts of fitting into a tight white dress were disgarded in favour of gluttony! It was simply delicious and truly set me up for the long day ahead.

I had arranged to perform my pre-wedding toilette in a suite at Mount Stuart, so sadly I wasn't able to say goodbye to Tony and Beryl in all of my finery as I departed to get wed. I did, however, leave for the venue with a spring in my step and without a hint of nerves or worries, so soothed I was from my stay at Balmory so far.

The wedding at Mount Stuart was fantastic, but that is not the focus of this review!

My husband and I returned to Balmory around 3am the following day, after the best day of our lives and an extremely jolly night. This was my husband's first sight of Balmory and he was bowled over (I'm sure he really was and it wasn't just the excess of champagne talking!)

Again, the Bute suite provided a tranquil night's sleep and the breakfast the next day was just as good as the previous morning- I did miss out the morning run however in favour of an extra hours sleep (and some aspirin).

We were so sorry to wave goodbye to Tony and Beryl later that morning. They will always have such a huge place in my heart for making me feel so at ease and so special at such an important time in my life. Prior to our arrival I had spoken to Tony on the 'phone and he had stressed that Balmory was NOT a hotel, but was their home, in which they entertained guests. Nothing could have prepared me for the truth of this statement. I'm actually feeling a bit teary as I write this because I feel so truly grateful to have had such wonderful people looking after us at such a special time. We shall always think back fondly of the precious time we spent at Balmory and I cannot wait until we are able to make our return.

I only wish we had thought to take photos of the building and the grounds (we shall most definitely do so on our return trip).

• Liked — Spacious grand and comfortable
  • Tips/Secrets — Ask to see the photo album of teh renovations which were carried out on the house
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
Newcastle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2006

I arranged a surprise holiday for my wife at Balmory Hall, I can't be sure who was more surprised her or me at just how wonderful a place it was. The hosts Tony and Beryl have thought of everything down to the smallest detail. The rooms are magnificent, as are the grounds. We were welcomed with tea on the lawn with home made cakes, which set the standard for the whole experience. Very special.

• Stayed July 2006
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2006

My girlfriend and I arrived here on my 30th birthday and it will be a memorable one.
We were truly spoilt and extended our stay from 2 to 3 nights as we couldn't bring ourselves to leave.

The breakfasts and surroundings, both internally and externally are true "holiday makers".

A fantastic property in a peaceful and tranquil location with hosts who go out of their way to accommodate you in their beautiful home and guide you in the right direction when out and about on Bute.

• Liked — The hosts
  • Disliked — Having to leave at the end of our stay
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2006

We stayed a Balmory for nearly a week in July 2006. It is an exceptional place to stay, Beryl and Tony are exceptional hosts, always ther but never intrisive. Breakfast is an experience that will not be forgotten, the very best food and selection. Breakfast is an event at Balmory! The grounds are a delight and one can stay all day - you do not get ejected for the rest of the day! The other guests are always intereseting. Balmory gives and gets the best.

• Stayed July 2006
Leeds, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2006

My wife and I stayed here for two nights in May. Beryl & Tony have done a fantastic job of restoring this magnificent building and are very welcoming hosts with attention to detail and getting the little things right. We stayed in the Bute Suite (nice views, open fire). Must try and re-create Beryls home cooked date and oat slices! Oh - and the soap is the same colour as the bathroom - enough said.

• Stayed May 2006

Been to Balmory Hall? Share your experiences!