“'Cooking doesn't come better than this'!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 3 Restaurants in Taynuilt
Cuisines: Scottish, British
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner
Description: Taynuilt hotel offers gastro pub style food all prepared on the premises by our talented chefs, generous portions full of flavour washed down with a local bottled ale.
Inverness, United Kingdom
“'Cooking doesn't come better than this'!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

Half a year ago this place re-opened having been in terminal decline for several years. In that time something extraordinary has happened; the building is gradually being restored and is fresh and inviting again, the place is busy with customers for food and drinks, the staff are charming, there's an unrivalled selection in the area of local craft beers and drams, and the whole place has a buzz again (though maybe that was last night when Scotland nearly beat England at Wembley).

Underpinning the 'resurrection' is some fantastic work in the kitchen. I work periodically in the area and escape to the Hotel to eat, and I don't remember ordering anything which tasted less than amazing. The menu isn't huge - maybe 8 starters and mains now - but the chef has a knack for blending flavours perfectly, and for cooking local produce to perfection. Tonight I had the butternut squash and pesto soup; the pesto gave a beautiful, garlicky note to the sweet, warm squash. The other night I had some exquisite pan-fried salmon, served with the sweetest, juiciest Mull scallops, mussels and in a broth of new potatoes and some other stuff. An absolutely brilliant one-plate meal.

A special mention for the ice cream; they make their own here in a huge variety of flavours, and the flavours are astonishing, deep and intense. Special mention goes to the apple, raspberry and banana/caramel - I've tasted nothing like it. And you have to give Bobby's Monday night quiz a go, if only for the banter ;-)

Prices are maybe a wee bit high for passing trade, but for cooking at this level it's worth it. Sorry if this is a bit of a foodie ramble, but this is one very happy wandering minstrel!

Visited August 2013

London, England, United Kingdom
“Great bar food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

A friendly welcome even at a busy time - we were among several people sneaking in just before last restaurant orders. We had wonderful venison burgers and delicious home-made icecream.

Visited July 2013
Beckermet, null, United Kingdom
“Good quality with generous portions”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

For an evening meal for 4, we found the menu to have a good selection at reasonable prices. The portions were generous, the starters almost too generous and the quality was excellent. The starter and main course were enough for us so we cannot comment on the sweet menu. Very friendly and helpful staff, I tried to get their sourdough bread recipe but was declined as it was chef's secret, he gave me a loaf though - yummy!

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Taynuilt
“Amazing Food !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Taynuilt hotel has always been a favorite for locals, but can I just say the standard of food and quality of service is now amazing , the best fish and chips I have had in a long time !

We have visited twice recently and the baked Ham with Duck eggs is to die for !

Service with a smile and feeling lovely and clean and fresh with the new make over, top job and good prices for the quality of food !

The chocolate sorbet is especially good too !

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Inveraray
“New management doing wonders”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Having heard the hotel was under new management I decided to give it a try on a trip from Oban to Inveraray and was very impressed with the look and feel of the hotel. I was greeted extremely well by a young girl behind the reception counter who informed me that I was a little to early for meals as they started being served at 6pm, I was welcome to have a drink at the bar and wait if I wished, which I did.

6pm came and I ordered the Roasted Tomato & Vegetable Soup which was excellent, the bread was equally as good.

Following this I had the Rib-Eye Steak (M/R) which was served with home made chips, a rocket salad and cherry tomatoes roasted on the vine.

The steak was beautifully presented and the tomatoes were incredible. Definitely in my top 10 steaks I've ever had.

My only gripe with the hotel is that I was too full to have some of the home made ice cream I'm reading such good words about here in the reviews. Which means I'll have to go back.

Would revisit for sure.