“Ausies in the UK” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Taynuilt
Ballina, Australia
“Ausies in the UK”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Thanks Dave for having us was nice to feel at home after a long drive.
Good food and a good bed to sleep in!!
Keep up the refurbishment!
Scotish stars ahead of the (Regent hotel) in town the poor old girl!!
Which needs a good fix up!!!! Was so run down...
Thanks dave...

Paul Power.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
David K, Owner at The Brander Lodge Hotel & Bistro, responded to this review, May 26, 2013
Thanks Paul, it is gratifying for a Kiwi to get praise from an Aussie :-) so glad you enjoyed your time with us and the Lamb Casserole. We will keep on with the refurbishment as time and funds permit and hopefully we will be able to encourage you to come back and visit again, use us as a base stop for branching out to so much of Scotland withing a comfortable days drive and back.

Once again thank you for reviewing your stay it is much appreciated.

David

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We recently stayed at The Brander Lodge over Easter and to celebrate my boyfriend's mothers birthday. We arrived to the most spectacular weather. Blue skies and sunshine (albeit it a bit Brrrr) but Brander Lodge looked lovely set back against Loch Tay and the surrounding scenery. David and his staff could not have been more helpful ahead of our visit, helping to organise surprise birthday flowers and cake, much appreciated. Brander Lodge is set in magnificent surroundings and is very welcoming and homely. The rooms were clean and beds most comfortable, again with fabulous views. After a long day out we boked dinner in the bistro, which was delicious and of outstanding quality. The steaks were HUGE and incredibly tasty. The seafood linguine was reviewed as the 'best ever had.' Lovely wine list too. Breakfast was extensive, filling and very tasty and served with swift, warm, efficiency. If I had any criticism it would be that it was rather cold after dinner in the bar and lounge so we all retired to bed early than we would have done normally but also understand it's a rather big area to heat up. The bedrooms could also do with a bit of tlc, especially the bathrooms, to match the magnificance of the setting especially. However, we would definitely visit again and look forward to it. Many thanks and we look forward to out next Scottish adventure.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for reviewing so constructively, I have taken on board your comments on bathrooms and heating both of which we hope to work on over the next few months. The staff and I were glad that you enjoyed your stay and that we could organise the cake and flowers for the Birthday Girl.

I passed your praise onto the chefs re the food which I assure you went down well. The team certainly enjoy a fed back from guests and it boosts moral when I am such a hard taskmaster.

We all look forward to your return and wish you well for the future.

Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

Stayed here while working in the local area and I have to say that I always looked forward to my evening meal in this place. Great food and it's hard to say that I've matched the same great food 6 nights in a row in any other hotel. Did I mention FREE wifi and great service?

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
David K, Owner at The Brander Lodge Hotel & Bistro, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Dear Fazz79

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I am delighted that you enjoyed everything including all meals, nice to know we are doing things right for some folk anyway.
As for Free WiFi.....am I missing a beat here, is this something I can charge for!!!!
seriously I am glad you enjoyed the Free WiFi it is nice to be able to provide a service for free. I hope business brings you back to us at sometime in the future and I wish you well.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

We have just had a marvellous weekend at Brander Lodge. The weather was very kind to us which made the time even more enjoyable. David and Sheila and their staff couldn't do enough for us. Very relaxed friendly atmosphere and a great craic with staff and guests alike. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed March 2013
Dear Helenekiernan

Thank you for your lovely positive review and comments, so glad you had an enjoyable weekend with us at the Brander Lodge Hotel and we look forward to you returning again in the near future.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

Had dinner with friends, having been told the restaurant had improved. Food was mediocre, service was less than average, dining room was empty. Atmosphere was cold, staff seemed disinterested. Overall, very disappointing.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Oliver P
Oh my!! I am so sorry to hear you did not enjoy your food nor the atmosphere and service we provide at the Brander Lodge Hotel. Sadly a visit in January is not likely to find our Rural Restaurant nor any other Restaurant or Hotel busy, it is always quiet in this area following Christmas and New Year and well outside the tourist season.
This is the reason the Restaurant would have been empty and difficult to create an atmosphere in an empty venue, I am sorry you felt that way.
This I may well add, does in no way excuses poor service and disinterested staff so I apologise for this.
We have a very small staff and I have been informed on many occasions how obliging, polite, efficient and friendly they are so I am shocked to receive your review and to think the staff have let the side down so badly and offered up such a disappointing evening for you.
This never has been nor ever will be our aim in business and I assure you I will endeavor to see this never occurs again.
I would hope that should you ever be in this area again that you may consider paying us another visit so we can make amends for your disappointment.
I take this opportunity to wish you well for 2013.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the brander lodge for about two to three months for work reasons. Would be more than happy to stay again as it's very friendly. The rooms are always spotless with great wifi just a shame about the 'jammy dodgers'. The food is top class from anything simple to fine dining. Would highly highly recommend staying at the brander lodge and hope to be back soon. Davie :)

• Stayed January 2013
Dear Davie (OKaBike)

Thank you for your review I am so glad you enjoyed your lengthy stay with us and found all we offered to be so good. It was enjoyable having you here for sure and I for one hope that you make it back again at some other point in time.
As for the Jammy Doggers hahaha I have banished them from our stocks so promise you my friend that something nice will take their place upon any return visit you may give us.

I trust all is going well with you and you are still enjoying your work.

Dave ;-)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

Well what a pleasure to be back at the Brander Lodge but in Winter this time, thought a winter bagging of Cruachan was in order so my partner and I came to do just that.
The welcome at Brander Lodge was as warm as the Peat Fire in the Lounge, Dave was so welcoming it was like returning home after a lengthy trip abroad lol My partner couldn't believe that I had only met Dave on one previous visit and I guess to some people it could come across as a bit forward but NO, Dave is genuinely friendly and just happy to have repeat customers which from all accounts he has many.
We stayed two nights and eat in the bar both nights surrounded by regular guests all of which were Electrical Engineers working long term in the area. Great craic between all including ourselves and many a tale of their times spent at their favourite Home away from home the Brander Lodge. Dave has a huge following amongst these guys and appears to have endeared himself well to all. The girls behind the bar had great report with everyone and the atmosphere was fun and relaxed.
Our first attempt at the climb was thwarted by the weather however on the second day we conquered and such a clear day we had views for miles. Would recommend this Hotel and Area for climbing anytime. Stunning scenery, great hospitality, good craic and comfortable beds with such wholesome food I could live here quiet easily.
Once again Brander Lodge you have excelled and made our trip north so well worth making. We will be back and will introduce more of our friends, can't thank you all enough. Brilliant Stay. All the best with the continued improvements as well Dave and don't lose heart Rome wasn't built in a day. What you have is spot on and your friendliness forgives any slight imperfections. Great value and worthy of a higher star I would suggest. Staff are tops as well.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Phillip thank you for your lengthy review and so glad you made the return visit this time with your partner. Sorry about the weather the first day but glad we managed to organise a cracker day for the second one. I still have not climbed Cruachan having been here almost three years now and feel when I do manage to get to the top it will be via helicopter.
The improvements are still happening albeit slowly and I have taken you points on board so slightly less frustrated lol.
It will be great to have you and even more friends up here away from the big smoke of London again at sometime and I assure you we will endeavor to ensure your next stay will be as enjoyable.

David

Been to The Brander Lodge Hotel & Bistro? Share your experiences!