“Lovely way to spend a Saturday !!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Glasgow
“Lovely way to spend a Saturday !!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

I worked as a receptionist at the Crinan Hotel some 40 years ago (my first job away from home) and had always wanted to go back. first Saturday with nothing planned for ages we decided to go for it ! The car trip from Glasgow was lovely through Inverary then Lochgilphead and right along the canal and there at the very end is the Crinan Hotel. Really strange stepping back in time and I couldn't quite believe that not a lot had changed. The staff are very friendly and welcoming and shock shock my old boss Nick Ryan and his wife Frances still run this family hotel. had a lovely walk around, Mr Ryan told us the take the lift to the 3rd floor where they have a spectacular gallery displaying Mrs Ryans paintings, with outside space to take in the breathtaking views out over the canal. We had lunch in the seafood restaurant which was really fab. The dressed crab was delicious as were the salad leaves and tangy salsa. My husbands haddock was super sized and fresh fresh fresh fab.!!! what a great place has really stood the test of time, will not leave it another 40 years before we return that's for sure. !!! Ps and Mr Ryan was a bit less scarey than he was a way back then !!!!!

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Southampton, United Kingdom
“Not the Westward but the Crinan Coffee Shop”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

After a brilliant 9 mile drive down the side of the Crinan Canal, you will find at the end of the Road the Crinan Hotel. Very posh looking and perhaps not the spot to stop for a drink and a bite to eat, but there at the Canal Basin and the Sea Lock for the Canal is a Coffee Shop which is undoubtedly run by the Hotel as the Staff appear to move between the two.

What a pleasure- I must be honest, I cannot now buy a Sausage Roll from any other supplier as I was totally blown away by the Sausage Roll provided. Follow that up with a large slice of what was described as Chocolate Cherry - I left there replete and very happy.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Lochwinnoch
“Quirky but great”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

We had been for a walk along the Crinan canal and had worked up an appetite. We had wanted t Try the Crinan hotel for some time so took our chance when we had it. The restaurant, at first sight, looked a wee bit dowdy. But it was clean enough and smelled of very good food so we stuck to our guns and sat down. A good number of the seats looked like converted church pews but were very much more comfortable. My wife had a seafood stew in a cream sauce. She loved it. I had razor clams with salad leaves. Again, great. The atmosphere in the restaurant was very relaxed. No one rushed us to finish and they were fairly relaxed about the bill. During our meal I watched a fishing boat being unloaded and one of the seamen brought a case of razor clams into the hotel for the kitchen. I guess you can't get much fresher than that. The toilets were spotless with plenty of hot water and a choice of hand towel or drier. I will definitely be back here at the next available opportunity!

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Time travelling in the right direction.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Just go and experience this yourself. You will not be disappointed with anything, except maybe that everything is old but that's the point. The whole area and the hotel is trapped in time and it's great. It's a true life Brigadoon. Not that I'm suggesting that Brigadoon isn't real. But this is.

Visited October 2012
Dumfries, United Kingdom
“wonderful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

Having had a meal in the Seafood Bar on Monday night, we decided to eat in the more formal Westward on Wednesday and what a treat it was!! We had a round table at the back of the restaurant and although we ended up by ourselves, it was just fabulous. There were 4 choices of starters; I had the scallop brochettes and my husband had the smoked salmon. Both were lovely. The soup was a shellfish veloute and was super. There were again 4 choices for the main course and I had halibut and my husband had lamb; again both wonderful. For dessert I had peach sabayon and my husband had cheese and we both thoroughly enjoyed them. The service was very good without being overwhelming, as it might have been considering we were on our own. The whole experience was just wonderful!

• Visited October 2012