“MACADVENTURE” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 9 Kinlochleven B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“MACADVENTURE”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2012

Macadventure did us proud. Set up all the stops on our West Highland Way walk (this was probably the best) and carried our luggage to our next destination. Smooth operation.
Re Edencoille - The digs were excellent (very clean and with a level of service that leaves Gleneagles behind), the owners very friendly and helpful, and the choice in the breakfast room a sight to behold! I like to have a good moan but there isn't anything I can moan about.
Re the couple from Galasheils who complained about too many toiletries - sounds like they don't put self cleansing high up on their agenda. Wouldn't like to meet them in a lift!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
FalkieBairn, Owner at Edencoille Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, April 29, 2012
Dear Gavin, it was a pleasure to have you stay at Edencoille and we thank you very much for your lovely review especially the comparison to Gleneagles! It is always our pleasure to accommodate the valued clients of Macs Adventure and we are over the moon that you had such an enjoyable stay. Please do return. Kind regards. Elsie & Drew.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

Thanks to Elsie for her very friendly welcome. Myself and three friends arrived late after a very long and weary walk into Kinlochleven and were kindly allowed to eat out take away food in the very comfortable lounge. The rooms are very clean with many homely extras that are not found in any other accomodation I've ever stayed inbefore and was by far the best B & B along 'The Way'. The choices on offer for breakfast are unbelievable, how other reports can fault this is beyond me. I would certainly recommend the Edencoille to anyone wishing to stay in Kinlochleven, albeit a little off the main WHW but I was advised this before booking.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
FalkieBairn, Owner at Edencoille Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, April 20, 2012
Thank you kindly for your lovely review and for taking the time to give such positive feedback which is so very much appreciated. It is fabulous to learn that your group considered us to be the best b&b along the Way and to learn that you will recommend Edencoille to others. I hope that our paths will cross again and you will always be assured of a warm welcome. Kind regards. Elsie & Drew.
Ayr
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

Our party of five had a one night’s stay at Edencoille while walking the WHW. We were given a warm welcome by Elsie. We found the rooms to be spotless clean, have comfy beds, lovely hot showers and loads of tea, coffee, hot choc and biscuits. Drew provided us with a fantastic breakfast, a choice of cereals, full cooked breakfast, toast, jams, fresh fruit, etc. We all thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Edencoille and agreed it was the best B&B of our week walking the WHW. We would not hesitate to book again next time.

Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
It was such a pleasure to log on to TripAdvisor and read your fantastic review – thank you kindly for taking the time and for all of your lovely comments. To hear that your group found us to be the b&b of the week during your walk of the WHW is so humbling. You can be rest assured that if you decide to book again, then we will offer the same level of service and warm welcome. Please do return! All the very best. Elsie & Drew
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

Stayed in the Edencoille on the 5th day of our 6 day WHW trek we were made more than welcome and Elsie let us eat our chippy take away in the comfort of her sitting room, the place was immaculate, beds were best we had slept in all week, plenty of toiletries in the bathroom, coffee and tea making facilities along with biscuits and nibbles were plentiful, breakfast was more than we could ask for and we were sorry we couldn't finish it.....all in all a very pleasant stay and would go back again...

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
FalkieBairn, Owner at Edencoille Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, April 18, 2012
Hello Yvonne

Drew and I would like to thank you for your review and it was a pleasure to offer our hospitality at Edencoille. We are so pleased that you had an enjoyable stay and we would love for you to come and visit us again. Kind regards. Elsie & Drew.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012

We are a mixed group of walkers of varying ages and we all loved edencoille. The warm welcome we received was second to none and the rooms were the most welcoming we had seen all week on the west highland way. The beds are so comfortable that it was a thought to get up and the showers were far better than we had found all week.

The breakfast selection is fantastic and there's something for everyone. Packed lunched are available at a very reasonable price although may not be required after the size of breakfast served, we certainly couldn't eat any more.

Finally the value for money at this bed and breakfast is fantastic, we have paid a similar rate for bunk houses that were uninhabitable. All in all a fantastic place and we wouldn't stay anywhere else in kinlochleven.

• Stayed April 2012
FalkieBairn, Owner at Edencoille Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, April 14, 2012
Thank you kindly for your review of Edencoille which is very much appreciated. Following recent reviews, we have taken on board all of the comments and are so glad that it has helped to make your stay such an enjoyable experience.

Drew and I want everyone to leave Edencoille as satisfied customers having experienced our fantastic Scottish hospitality. We would love to see you back at Edencoille again.

Warm regards. Elsie & Drew
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

We stayed at Edencoille on our 4th day of our 5 day hike on the WHW. We were told by the hostess Elsie when we booked that Edencoille was on the WHW path.... and let me tell you .... it isn't. After 22 miles...we walked almost out of Kinlocheleven before asking a local if they knew where Edencoille was...and she said 'Are you ready for a walk?' I nearly died (after 8 hours walking, the last thing I wanted was a walk up another hill!).

We realised that we should have turned left past the Co-op and almost out of the village (up a hill) before getting to Edencoille. Luckily for us, the friendly local offered us a lift which was nice! It's maybe a 10-15 minute walk (south) from the WHW path.

When we got there, we were rather funnily greeted by Snow White and the 7 dwarfs ... which made us laugh... although I did wonder why they had a spare full set of them around the corner too!

We were warmly greeted by Elsie when we got there and pointed in the direction of the drying hut to get our bags. Elsie chatted away and was very friendly and once we had our boots off she directed us to our room. This was the only time we saw Elsie, and her husband and son seemed to have any further dealings with us.

The room was clean and nicely decorated, however the trinkets and dolls continued inside... and all seemed sort of quaint, but sort of over the top too. We had a knitted doll on our bed, which went right into the wardrobe... and other dolls and more shampoo, conditioner and goodies than you'd know what to do with. A pleasant change from the sometimes limited B&Bs we had stayed at.

There was plenty of biscuits, coffee, milk, and even mints available, and there was even a foot spa available which I used. The bed was comfortable, however we woke up in the middle of the night with a very strong smell of cigarette smoke which was sickening.

We put in an order for breakfast and packed lunch the night before we left. We paid £6.50 for a packed lunch... which consisted (rather excessively) of two sandwiches, a bag of out of date crisps, an apple, a mars bar and some concentrate juice. We ended up only eating one of the 4 sandwiches we'd been given as they didn't taste too good (we asked for ham and pickle and got pickle and some mystery meat). 4 sandwiches were far too much especially as we'd have to carry them. We ended up leaving the apple and juice behind.

Breakfast however was good. A large array of fruit and cereals available, and the full scottish breakfast was good, but not the best I've tasted. And there was a good honesty shop available providing tunnocks teacakes etc on the landing which was good.

We were in two minds how to rate this B&B, the positives are that it's clean, the room and en suite were good, and the eccentricities and abundant snacks and toiletries made the place stand out. But the smell of smoke was horrible, the information about it being on the WHW path was incorrect, the hosts seemed too busy to be friendly, the pack lunch was odd and far too much, and some of the food/snacks/crisps were out of date. It's a shame as this place could be good.

I don't think we'd stay here, or in Kinlochleven again, but it was one that stood out for us.

Room Tip: If you don't like the smell of cigarette smoke, don't stay here!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you kindly for sharing your thoughts about Edencoille with us and it is encouraging that you had so many positives as well as your constructive comments. Sincere thanks for mentioning the good as well as the not so good. It is always a pleasure to read suggested areas of improvement in such a helpful manner.

Thanks also for the many photographs which show everyone the fantastic location that Edencoille is blessed with. May I firstly say that the two toy cats which accompanied you on your West Highland Way adventure look lovely in your photos and thank you for stating in the photos that the cats belonged to you. Now on to your comments.

Previous reviews alerted us to the fact that Drew and I have rested on our laurels somewhat and you can be rest assured that, following previous observations, immediate action has now been taken! We have gladly and wholeheartedly addressed absolutely everything mentioned in both your remarks and previous guests’ comments. We are now back on our way to being the first class establishment that we have prided ourselves upon over the many years.

As you will see from my previous owner replies, we have taken immediate action to make sure there is categorically no longer any trace of smoke, there has been a complete declutter so that our beautifully decorated rooms can be viewed to their full and we are now back on track with what we have always prided ourselves upon – good old fashioned superb Scottish hospitality. However, I do feel that I should mention a few corrections.

With regard to our location, I have been fortunate enough to have offered hospitality to West Highland Way walkers for countless years and I have never misled clients about the location of Edencoille. I always explain that we are ten minutes walk at the very most from the footpath and have never advised that we are on the footpath itself.

In relation to the out of date items, this is quite simply not the case. The crisps were from a brand new box purchased for the first walkers of the season and have a date of May 2012. All other items had been thoroughly checked after previous clients complained about one small milk carton being out of date which was an oversight on my part and which I made sure would never happen again.

Once again, thank you for your comments and if you do change your mind and decide to visit Kinlochleven in the future, then please come and stay with us again. You said that “this place could be good” and I can assure that, after having taken on board all of the recent feedback, Edencoille is indeed once more a great place to stay.

All the very best.
Münster, Deutschland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012

Besides the stellar bathroom, sadly the Edencoille doesn't have too much going for it.

Being located on the edge of town with a nice view, the location itself is great. However, the place reeks of cigarette smoke, as some other reviews already mentioned. It was the only B&B we had all along the WHW where the owner didn't even bother to get our luggage inside the house, but left it in a shed outside, where AMS (our luggage-moving company) could easily drop it off, and where we had to put it back into the next morning, so it would be picked up again.

The room itself was okay, maybe a little over-decorated, but when we closed the bathroom door a left-over drooled-on lollipop in the corner showed that the cleaning of the room hadn't been done too thoroughly.

Another thing about Edencoille was, that it was busy- VERY busy, with 2 tables á 10 people being prepared in the breakfast area and people moving in the house at almost every hour of the night.
On the plus-side, this ment we had the largest selection of cold cuts, cheese, yoghurt and fresh fruit along the way, on the other hand it ment that the almost familial character, which we had come to love our the previous B&Bs, was almost non-existant.

Edencoille B&B is a solid B&B, no doubt, but it just wasn't for us.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
FalkieBairn, Owner at Edencoille Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, April 13, 2012
Thank you kindly for taking the time to review Edencoille and you are indeed correct. We are blessed with being on the edge of town with fantastic views over to the Mamores and we are sorry that, even although you felt that Edencoille was a solid b&b, it just wasn’t for you. I have to agree that life is very much a matter of ‘horses for courses’ but be rest assured that your constructive comments will be taken on board and may I please offer my comments on the three areas within your review.

With regard to the issue of smoking, as I mentioned in a previous post, for my sins I do smoke but can categorically state that I never smoke in the house and that Edencoille is a strictly non-smoking establishment. When a lady posted this in a review earlier, I could not understand it and took action to try to find out why she mentioned the smell of smoke and came to the conclusion that it may very well have been the ashtray which was provided for guests outside the front door, ie the closest location to that particular ladies’ room. Needless to say, this was removed immediately.

In relation to the drooled-on lollipop, we pride ourselves on our b&b being a spotlessly clean establishment which readers will see runs as a theme throughout the previous reviews. On the particular day of your stay, my grandchildren had been visiting so one of the little blighters must have dropped it there, no doubt during a game of hide and seek. We do try to keep them out of the guest bedrooms whenever possible but kids will be kids and you really do have to have eyes in the back of your head!! I can only but apologise to you in this regard.

Finally, may I please explain about the baggage situation and the need for the ourdoor luggage storage. I realise that the establishments you stayed in did not offer this facility but I do know from personal experience that it is commonplace in countless establishments along the West Highland Way. A hut was kindly erected in the grounds of the b&b for safe storage of clients’ baggage and this works well for the majority of our clients who are happy to collect their bags just as they would from an airport baggage carousel. The baggage companies do impose a weight limit so that clients’ bags are all reasonably manageable so we thank our clients kindly for their efforts in this regard.

Been to Edencoille Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!