“lovely food and friendly staff” 4 of 5 stars

Carradale Hotel
3.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   Carradale PA28 6RY, Scotland   |
Ranked #2 of 4 Carradale B&B and Inns
North Wales
“lovely food and friendly staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

We ate here several times during our week's stay in Carradale and the quality of the food was excellent/ The staff in the restaurant and bar were very friendly and helpful. It would be helpful if there were more 'specials' on offer as the menu became a bit repetitive, and also if there was more local seafood on the menu.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Glasgow
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2011

We didn't stay in the hotel as we were visiting family but we had the Christmas dinner menu on Saturday night and I was very impressed. Everything on the menu sounded lovely and everything we ordered was excellent. Well done Cheryl, the chef! We had queenie scallops in garlic butter followed by a traditional turkey dinner and a trio of chocolate desserts. I couldn't fault any of it. My partner's cheese came with miniature scones which were delicious. I asked for mint tea after dinner. They didn't have any so made it fresh with leaf tea and mint leaves. Tom and Kerry who served us were friendly and efficient. There was only one other table of diners in the restaurant which sapped the atmosphere and it was also quite cold both in the restaurant and in the lounge. If Cheryl is cooking however, you won't get a better meal for miles around and we all thoroughly enjoyed it.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Peebles, Scotland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2011

The room looked nice enough and was large. First impressions were poor as there was no hot water, so had to have a cold shower (after walking 15 miles to get there) and receptionist wasn't very helpful. But we had a lovely meal in the evening - in a very nice atmosphere and then a game of pool in the pub. The breakfast area was lovely and saw the lounge which was lovely (although we didn't know it was there until the morning). My porridge was luke-warm. Overall it was a good stay and we enjoyed the evening thoroughly - but the shower and the breakfast let things down a bit.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Largs
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2011

Not welcoming- we had difficulty in finding the car park as you are directed to golf club and hotel car park but on reaching it there is a large sign saying golf club. After parking where do you go to the front door but past an overgrown sign and a tall hedge to a tatty door into the conservatory. The room had wallpaper that must have been at least 20 yrs old The wood surrounding the window was water damaged and upainted or varnished with a suspect looking lead entering the room.The skirting boards and towel rail ? were dusty.The bedding seemed clean enough but the towels were the only good thing as they were clean white and fluffy. Cannot believe any one would ever want to stay there.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Carradale hotels

Newcastle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2011 via mobile

Stayed fr a meal
Quaint place food fine we enjoyed our nite just accept the place as it is

• Stayed August 2011
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2011

Firstly, I have to point out I did not stay in the hotel and only went for a meal. If the service and quality I received there was anything to go by, I am glad I was not a resident.

On arrival we were given menu on a sheet of A4 paper, and the waitress told us she would check with the kitchen what 'specials' were available. the menu we had been given in no way resembled that on the website. However, the waitress returned and advised us that the menu was in the process of being changed that night and replacement menus would arrive shortly. 'Shortly', however, turned out to be about 30 minutes later.

Undeterred, we ordered from the new menu. Unfortunately a waiter then arrived to advise that one of my companions choices - a Rib Eye Steak - was unavailable, as was the Fillet steak detailed on the menu. This despite the menu having only been printed minutes before! My companion ordered a sirloin steak, rare, instead.

Almost an hour after our arrival, the starters finally arrived. Two of my party had ordered Pate. It was pleasant enough although badly presented, with limp salad and cheap toasted bread. The other member had ordered Queen scallops. These were badly overcooked and very dry - even the shells appeared burnt. At this point I was getting concerned as she is an Insulin dependent diabetic and was starting to show signs of low blood sugar so I had to give her some of my starter.

Another 40 minutes later, the main courses arrived. At first glance the langoustines appeared lovely. Unfortunately, after opening fiveof these to find nothing but a tiny amount of grey mush, we had no choice but to return them. My own main course consisted of barely lukewarm scallops, burnt black pudding, some peppers loaded with grease and mashed potato which had clearly been reheated from the previous day and had a rubbery skin on it. The final insult was the supposed 8oz sirloin steak which looked more like 4oz and was cooked through, as opposed to rare.

At this point we had spoken to the (very polite and helpful) waitress and agreed that we would pay for the food we had consumed and the drinks, but did not wish to order anything else. She offered to get 'Tom' (I assume he is the Chef) to speak to us, but we declined.

The final straw was then the arrival of a female whom I can only assume was either the owner or manager as she did not identify herself - she merely came to the table and said she had heard there was a problem with one of the meals. I explained the problems, to which she became confrontational and argumentative. When I said that I ate a lot of seafood (which I do, mostly 6 nights out of 7), and that there was clearly something wrong with the Langoustines her response was to look away and say 'If you think so!' At this point, not wishing to have a confrontation, I said that there was no point discussing it further and that we had agreed with the waitress that we would pay for the food consumed and the drinks, then leave. Her response to this was to say 'You don't have to pay for anything', turn on her heel and storm off in a manner that reminded me of a two year old in a huff.

The only positives of my visit there were the young male and female members of staff who served us initially. They were at all times pleasant and their employer could learn a lot from them.

On telling some local friends about our experience, they were not surprised and told me they had heard other bad reports about this venue.

It is of no surprise to me that the website for this venue does not appear to give an option to post a review.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
thamestrader
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2011

This place could be great and some of the staff are good. Real refurbishment is needed. Garden nice but owners are pretentious and snotty. Room was not cleaned properly. Meals good except for 'make your own toast with Mothers Pride' in the morning. They pretend they are in Campbeltown, which is fully 16 miles away. Needs good managers. But seems very popular despite excellent nearby restaurants.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Carradale Hotel? Share your experiences!