“Pleasant meal but unpleasant ending.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Grey Gull Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ardrishaig
Grey Gull Inn
You added Grey Gull Inn to your Saves list
Glenburn Road, Ardrishaig PA30 8EU, Scotland   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Ardrishaig
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia
“Pleasant meal but unpleasant ending.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

Earlier on this trip 3 of us had a drink here, sitting outside in the sun overlooking Loch Fyne, served by a personable Polish waitress. Also had chat with Murdo, the manager. Both of these staff members were pleasant and courteous. On 30 June, 3 of us had quite a good lunch there, and again chatted with a staff member, a "relief chef". After the meal we sat for a few minutes in the very comfortable lounge adjacent to dining room, furnished with deep leather sofas and a large tv,
At this point, the owner of the hotel appeared. I remarked on the comfort of the lounge and said that had Wimbledon been on, we would have had coffee and stayed to watch it. Her reply was that she did not pay staff to serve us coffee while we sat around, and that as the lunch period was over, the staff would be going home. i took her to task for this remark but she said I should have realised that it was said "tongue in cheek".I have travelled widely in various parts of the world but never been spoken to this way by a proprietor. This incident spoiled our last night in Argyll.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Heather L, Owner at Grey Gull Inn, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
This critique was expected. I have no defence but to keep my mouth shut and bite my tongue!!

Heather Leighton, Propriotor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Oslo, Norway
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

Very nice landlady, but the rooms were dirty and so were the bathrooms. It was also very noisy the night I stayed there so I didn't get much sleep. As the owners are not present at night nobody stopped it. Location is lovely and breakfast is good. Did not have dinner. Will not stay there again.

• Stayed June 2013
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

We were given a warm welcome by Heather who looked after us so well during our 3 night stay. The bedroom was large and spotlessly clean - it was quiet and conveniently placed near the centre of Ardrishaig. The restaurant was great with a beautiful view over the Loch. The menu was imaginative and the food beautifully prepared - we found all our meals, including the cooked breakfast, were delicious. We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: We had a room on the ground floor because we had two dogs with us. The room was large for which we...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Sheffield
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights at the end of April. Initial confusion as we'd actually booked a nearby b&b which is owned by the same people I guess so we wasted a bit of time here. The hotel is a traditional hotel and purpose built. The old photos on the walls show it's been around for quite some time.

The rooms we had were large and comfortable. Mine had a double and single bed so guess it was a family room. The bathroom was large with a shower via the bath taps which was hot and powerful. Some of the paintwork in the hall ways and room were chipped, so at some point a lick of paint and decorating would bring it back to premiere condition- my room was very clean.

We had several evening meals here and I must say the food, staff & service were all top drawer. I had a Lasagne one night and a Prawn Cocktail as main the other and thoroughly enjoyed both. Tasty food using quality ingredient and reasonably priced.

Working up here and out early in a morning we weren't around for breakfast but took pack up which was left outside our door. This was again quality- well filled sandwiches, crisps, pop and a pack of biscuits.

My only criticisms would be the unlocking of the window near a fire exit and the staff turning off the electric heater.- My window opened onto a fire escape. I noticed the window was unlocked, so I locked it with the bolt on top of the window. This was unlocked by the maid so anyone could slide open the window having accessed the property from the rear via the fire escape. Not sure who'd be liable if such things as laptops got pinched- given I'd locked the window on my exit.

Being out early I set the electric radiator to come on for a few hours before I woke up and again during the early evening so the room was warm when I woke up and when i returned at night. It wasn't on all day!! When I returned on several days I noticed the electric radiator had been turned off, thus knocking out the timer so the room was cold when I returned. I turned it back on and reset the timer and low and behold it was switched off again the following day. Not good when I'd been out all day on the hill and looking forward to a warm room and hot shower, especially when this was the only heating in the room.

Aside from the heating and window security the hotel is a gem, with friendly staff, good sized clean rooms and great food- will have to go back and sample a breakfast!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
scotland uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Staying locally i have never stayed in the hotel,but i would highly recommend the food in here,three of us had dinner here with three main courses.... lasagne with salad and garlic bread,...fish and chips, ...and pork belly served on mashed potatoes and a pesto sauce, along with three desserts,...apple and pear crumble with ice cream,... strawberry ice cream and ...banoffee waffle and ice cream, along with three soft drinks,served by a very helpful young waitress which came to £53,45. Though a little expensive the food was amazing. There is also a set menu price of £15 per head for a starter and main course. Highly recommended.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Culbokie, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Just called in for lunch when in the area,- Staff all very cheery and helpful,- good selection of food and my choice very enjoyable good value well presented,- only one in area that suits me and would strongly suggest you give it a try if you want well cooked food

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

'Stayed here on a Scot-Trek weekend break in March 2012. It's a friendly, family-owned hotel serving good food, including excellent cooked breakfasts. The bar is stocked with some very good local beers. It's an excellent base for activities on the Crinan Canal and exploring the area more generally.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Grey Gull Inn? Share your experiences!