“Braemar Gathering” 5 of 5 stars

Type: Landmarks/ Points of Interest, Cultural
Jefferson City, Missouri
“Braemar Gathering”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

The highlight of a great trip. We planned our tour of the NorthEast highlands around this event, and it did not disappoint. While the games and bands were excellent, the most impressive part of this event was.... the spectators. The people we sat around were fantastic. Very friendly and very sharing with their scotch!! The Scots themselves sold us on Scotland.

Visited September 2013

Nottingham, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
“brilliant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

Had a fantastic evening watching eight wonderful dancers along with their piper and a compere.
Piper had lived for 27 years in my own town of Beeston. Compere was delightfully Scottish and the dancers brimmed with confidence and fun

Visited August 2013
Banchory, United Kingdom
14 attraction reviews
“Highland Games”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

This once a year event is a must for anyone in the area.
It is a fantastic day out whatever the weather, and we have seen it all!
It is Scotland after all! And you get to see the Queen!

los angeles
20 attraction reviews
“We planned our trip around this day”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I don't want to say it was "once in a lifetime" because I hope to attend again one year, but what a thrill of a lifetime it was. We bought seats in the stands, about $50 each, as I recall, and well worth it. I don't remember whether we paid for parking or not; we were directed off the road onto a field that was a healthy walk from the site. We've attended games in southern California where each event is in a separate venue on county fairgrounds. At Braemar, most take place simultaneously in a grassy arena--dancing, caber toss, tug of war, etc.--and the massed bands march around the perimeter several times during the day.

I thought I had dressed warmly enough in wool slacks, t-shirt, sweater, scarf and jacket, with rain jacket over all, but I forgot my gloves, and I would have dearly loved to have them. (If you look at video of the day, you'll see how people dressed.) The sun came out for a bit (interestingly, just before the Queen and her party arrived), but played peek-a-boo most of the day.

Keighley, United Kingdom
14 attraction reviews
“THE GATHERING TO VISIT WHEN IN SCOTLAND”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

Brilliant atmosphere. Lots going on all day. Visiting Royalty. Book seats in advance better than having to stand all day. Car parking in the ground is £10 bookable in advance but well worth it so you have access to your car for coats,food etc.