“Short walking break in Braemar” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Chapel Brae, Braemar AB35 5YT, Scotland   |
Ranked #5 of 10 Braemar B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Bedford
“Short walking break in Braemar”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

This was my first visit to Braemar and I was unfamiliar with the area. The location is just on the outskirts of the village, but only a 4-5minute walk from the centre so it's pretty peaceful & theres' no traffic noise.

The hotel is small, friendly & welcoming. I was on my own and was made to feel very much at home in the bar in the evenings by locals & other travellers alike.

Ian really went out of his way to advise on routes to suit my walking experience and to make sure that I was fully prepared. As a result, I had a fantastic time & can't wait to go back and walk further afield. I'd happily recommend it to friends & family. Thanks Ian!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
MOORFIELHOUSE, Owner at Moorfield House Hotel, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Thank you for your review and we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay so much, and it was a pleasure to meet you, and share with you the routes of some of our favourite walks.
We are always happy to offer advice on local places of interest and suggestions for walks.
We are also able to put you in touch with local tour companies who can provide guided walks or ''landrover ''tours into the mountains which may be of interest to guests who are less active or less expreienced in mountain hillwalking.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Dunoon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

I have been staying in and around Braemar on work and on holiday for nearly 30 years. Although there are several good B&Bs in the village, it has been difficult to find reasonable food until the Moorfield House Hotel opened. I have now stayed there several times and can report that this is a really very fine hotel. Given that Braemar is a long way from suppliers, the cuisine is consistently excellent and there is a good range of wines and beers. Iain and Elspeth are warm and welcoming hosts and the wood burner in the bar is a welcome sight on cold evenings. I thoroughly recommend it.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Jedburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Clean and very friendly hotel. Very warm welcome. Excellent food and real ale. Would recommend this hotel to all groups. Lovely dining area with nice views.
About 8 miles from Glenshee Ski Centre. Nothing is too much trouble for the staff.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
rhos on sea
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

We had the pleasure of staying in the family room recently. What a treat, it is like having your own private detached accomodation. Warm cosy room beautifully furnished and the most comfortable bed. Top quality food prepared by an award winning chef. If you want breathtaking scenery and an excellent location, this is for you.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Moorfield hotel for 3 nights in April 2013. Rates are very reasonable, and we really enjoyed the wholesome, appetising and well presented food. Rooms are clean and comfortable, and the bar (with local real ales) is great. Iain made us very welcome and was very knowledgable about the local area.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Nantwich
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

Following a really pleasant visit last year, we decided to make a return trip back to Moorfield Hotel. So glad that we did, the atmosphere is relaxed, food is still great and drinking beer/whiskey by the fire is spot on. Iain and Elspeth are great attentive hosts. Hope to come back next year.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Newcastle, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

I booked a room and when we arrived we were put in the cabin across the car park and not in the hotel as I thought we were ? the room was Ok but freezing ! they knew we had been skiing all day and never put the heating on until we arrived at 5.30pm ! I told them I was not happy I did not like there attitude so decided to leave. To book the room I had to give my card details (big mistake..) and they told me the room was £90 and we will lose our deposit ? what deposit I asked nothing was mentioned on the phone about a deposit ? the owner said it was mentioned and he was entiled to 50% of the full price of the room, so an argument broke out because I was furious about there atitude toward us and what they were trying to do with our money. It was there fault we were put outside of the hotel (freezing cabin) and we were going to pay for it !
To make matters much worse.. this owners had already taken the full amount out of our card account when he realised that we were leaving ! and then gave us back £50 cash... he was aggressive & very rude and ripped us off for nothing in return.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Really all I can say is if anything it was this individual who was attempting a 'Rip off'.
You may also be surprised to note that this review has been written almost a year later.

If indeed we were behaving in a dishonest manner as he suggests from his review '' Headline'' his card company would have had no hesitation in refunding his money.
As far as we were concerned there were no issues with the room and indeed at the time his 'complaints ' were unspecified ,and the bottom line was that having entered into a contract with us for no good reason he decided to leave.
The heating issues is a red herring as the room is very well insulated and there are approx 7kw of heaters in the room and the bathroom has underfloor heating which is on 24/7
Given that we had on that afternoon turned someone else away who wished to book the family room I was not prepared to give a refund . Moreover he conveniently forgets to mention that by the time he decided the room was not what he wanted the toilet, hospitality tray had been used, and the bed crumpled .
This guy was very aggressive and after along argument I ( very reluctantly) give him a partial refund only to get rid of him.
Our family room is very popular as it can be used for up to 3 adults a family of four or as a twin or double.The majority of guests appreciate the privacy and additional space afforded by this room which is well insulated and has adequate heating.
Fundamentally the issue here is someone who did not read the booking conditions nor the description of the room,turned up cold and tired after a days skiing and decided on a whim to change their plans and expected me to foot the bill. They were not as he says 'put out to the family room' - he chose the room and booked it !!
The reality is that he got a partial refund which he really was' not actually entitled to - so I can't really see how that is a rip-off ?

Been to Moorfield House Hotel? Share your experiences!