“Great hotel in the perfect location” 4 of 5 stars

Poolewe Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Main Street | Highlands, Poolewe IV22 2JX, Scotland   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Poolewe
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Great hotel in the perfect location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Great bar in the hotel, good banter from the locals. Food is awesome. Really like the Christmas menu they put on in 2014. A trip up north is not complete without popping in. Ignor the comments that people have added in the past. If you are travelling the Wester Ross route and need a place to put your head you wont be disappointed.

Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Thurso, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Just had an enjoyable stay at the Poolewe Hotel. We had a spacious room in the annex. The room was well decorated, clean and warm with a good shower. The free wifi was working in the room, which was a bonus- we were only expecting this in the public areas of the hotel. The view from the window was wonderful- straight up Loch Ewe and across to Inverewe Gardens. We had an evening meal in the bar- typical bar meal type menu. The food was tasty, well cooked and reasonably priced (as were the drinks) and the service was good. The there was a good selection of items for the cooked breakfast; from bacon, beef sausage, Stornaway black pudding, eggs cooked how you like them, tomato, and beans through to kippers, smoked haddock and locally smoked salmon. There was also fresh fruit salad, yoghurt and cereals.
Any small issues that we had were resolved straight away. Couldn't ask for more.

Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Somerset, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2015

We came across the Poolewe whilst on a local business trip to Gairloch, after checking some of the reviews we weren’t entirely sure what to expect, but as we were only looking for somewhere to overnight for one evening, we didn’t worry too much. What a great find it turned out to be, firstly being met at reception by the extremely friendly owner who more than welcomed us whilst explaining the restaurant and breakfast times, then to find the warm, comfortable and clean room, followed by a great night in the bar enjoying our evening meal whilst earwigging the latest news from the assembled locals. We later retired to one of the most comfortable beds we have experienced covered with a quilt that resembled a giant marshmallow. Breakfast was plentiful and cooked as we wanted it by the owner, who was more than happy to spend some time chatting with us about the local area and our personal plans. We would recommend the Poolewe as a great base to explore the local area and unwind.

Room Tip: Ours had a great view of the loch across the quiet road
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled on business
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2015

seen alot of reviews here saying that the manager was rude... this was not our experience, he was very pleasant and engaged in our conversation.... we had just popped in for a quick drink on our way back to our cottage further up the loch... and the hour was getting late, he could have just as easy told us to get out, but no... we were welcomed, enjoyed our drinks and our time with him...will try to stay a night or two this year

• Stayed September 2014, traveled with friends
Scottish Borders
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2015

Rooms are clean and functional, bar food is good quality and so is breakfast. The staff are friendly and welcoming. The bar stocks a nice selection of local bottled beers at a very reasonable prices and is also a good place to mingle with the locals. All in all, a very good value hotel in a stunning location.

Some of the rooms have beautiful views of the water and the smoked salmon served on the bar menu (cured at Loch Ewe Smokey) is delicious.

Well done to the owner for making the best of what he has. Good wifi signal is a bonus.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
Dalbeattie, Scotland, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2014

I mean, look. I gave the Hotel an "average" review. I am quite mixed in my views. Let me explain why.

First, the hotel location is good. It's a great base for touring, which is what I was doing. And at £35 a night b&b I had lower expectations than perhaps I should. There were a number of things which didn't get me off to a good start.

First, the room description on lime was wrong. It said "all single rooms have comfortable double-beds". Well they don't. Or at least mine didn't. I pointed the error out to the Manager who of course made the usual "Can't be. We wouldn't. Oh, I see what went wrong, cut and paste, fixed it now" and he fixed it there and then. Had I been him I might have offered an upgrade.... But I wasn't, and he didn't. It didn't really spoil anything.

Second. I expected to be late arriving so emailed to ask if I could get something to eat if I was late (not by ages, about 30 minutes) This is exactly what I got back:
Good Evening
We serve meals from 6.30 til 8.00pm
Gary Marshall
Manager
That didn't exactly make me feel welcome.

Third. The hotel accommodation was not open, so I was in the Annexe. Not a real problem other than of crossing the few yards in whatever the weather was from Annexe to hotel. As it happened the weather was mainly benevolent. I guess this was because it's "out of season", so worth checking.

But, to be honest, I liked it there. They looked after me well. Breakfasts were first class. Evening meals were average pub food. But, "out of season". I ate there each night (apart from the first). The staff were friendly and the service good.

And that's were my problem comes. If I'd stayed there only one night I'd have probably slated it. I can imagine why folk have done so here. But being there four nights gave me a different view.

So I would tell you what I think the issue is, but they don't pay me for analysis. Wait a minute. They don'y pay me at all.....!!! So...

Gary the manager is not rude (as has been said). He is just the wrong person to have front of house. It's just his "manner". And I reckon if he tried to change it he'd become obsequious. DON'T GET ME WRONG. I liked him by the end of my stay.
So I'm torn. Would I go back? In a heartbeat. The location is excellent if you like the Highlands, or more specifically Loch Ewe and anywhere within a couple of hours of it. Would I recommend it for a one-nighter? Probably not. Would Gary have me back? After this review I doubt it. And I have the feeling he'd not be long in saying so.

If you stay a few nights and have the pleasure of meeting Albert, a cross between Gabby Hayes and that Scots bloke off Dad's Army, you're in for a treat.

If I mull this review over any more I'll probably delete it. Then I'D be failing.

Room Tip: I didn't see any of the hotel rooms. I'd rather stay in one of them though...... The Annexe...
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled solo
Inverness, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2014

I am a Dj and was booked to play at Halloween. I have been before, but never stayed so this was a first. The room was fabulous! Really, I don't know what I was expecting, but it was excellent.

I have some advice though, if it's cold in your room or a bulb doesn't work, try contacting reception! They don't bite and will be delighted to help.

I played in the back bar and the locals are just epic. Really nice, no shouting or swearing, just polite gouls and ghosties requesting music. That in itself is worth going back for. I met one of the local cops (off duty) who was also very pleasant and down to earth.

Breakfast was awesome. I wanted full Scottish and did I get it. I almost managed all of it...I think I may have left a bit of egg, but it was due to the fact I was so full.

I am back Boxing Day (night) and will be taking my wife & son this time so we can enjoy a festive getaway.

All in all, I really like Poolewe and the Poolewe Hotel. The place is steeped in history too. Loch Ewe is where the famous WW2 Arctic Convoys departed. For some who never made it, this rugged coastline was the last glimpse of land they ever had.... If you have time, carry on to Cove and see the gun emplacements. Legend has it, the locals tipped the guns into the sea when the war was over. The Russian Convoy Club have placed a beautiful stone at the emplacements in honour of those who gave their lives in the conflict. Be prepared to shed some tears for those brave souls who died in the frigid waters for our freedom.

Room Tip: Poolewe is a quiet place so most rooms should be quiet. I was facing the street and didn't hear...
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled on business

Been to Poolewe Hotel? Share your experiences!