“Wish there was a ZERO rating” 1 of 5 stars

Value Inn of McKenzie
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   15220 Highland Drive, Mc Kenzie, TN 38201   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Mc Kenzie
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Wish there was a ZERO rating”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

I travel a lot and try to save money on hotels and have stayed in some questionable places. This was BY FAR the worst EVER!!! I had reservations this past week - with hesitation because of the negative reviews here - but kept them because there are some positive reviews. IGNORE THE POSITIVE REVIEWS. They are all written by the same person in the same style. My two teenage children and I arrived for a college visit but after driving by and seeing the roof off (still off - look at those other negative reviews from 6 months ago!!!) and the signs saying 'under renovation', we were suspicious. The kids were begging me not to stay and said they would rather sleep in the car. But I went in and talked to the manager who said everything was 'completely renovated' and offered to show me a room. Look carefully at the pictures they have and note the cheap, bright pink plastic desk lamps they have sitting out. They are hideous and don't go with the 'elegant rooms'. The manager tried to tell me that everything was new but the carpet had HOLES IN IT - the walls were FILTHY and had marks all over them. She pulled up the cheap, goodwill looking quilts to try to show me the 'new' mattress and the sheets were all bunched up! She tried to tell me how quiet and safe it was - probably because no one stays there. The mattress looked like a board - I am sure it wasn't good to sleep on but I told her I would look to see if there was anything else in town. She told me there wasn't. About a half mile north, there is a Best Western and when I came in and told him about my experience at this dump, he was extremely sympathetic and gave us a discounted room that wasn't much more than the dump would have been. The Best Western looked like the Ritz after visiting this place. Believe me, I have been in trashy motel rooms but this place takes the cake. Spend a little extra and go to the Best Western - trust me - you will be glad you did.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Couples
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

We had a hard time finding the property because it was so dark. When we found the hotel we weren't sure if it was even in business because it looked so run down and abandoned. We went to sign in since we had reservations and the "office" was very cluttered and smelled of stale smoke and strong mold. The furniture was rundown and filthy. My husband was in the car and missed the office, but when we were shown our room he took one look and sniff and told them that we could not possibly stay there. We are not people that have to have new perfect rooms, but this place really should not be open for business. I hate to give the people that run the hotel such a bad review because honestly, my heart broke for them. I know they are struggling to make a living, but to be fair to the weary traveler, don't waste your time. We booked through Expedia and they refunded our money.

Room Tip: Go anywhere else. Heritage Inn in Huntingdon was a very pleasant and clean sight for sore eyes.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

We come to McKenzie for years and this time we tried this as their sign says totally renovated
And we please with our stay and would recommended to everyone and we really enjoyed our stay. Our kids had a ball with the kids in their yards.

• Stayed July 2012
McKenzie Bridge, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

my son is going to bethel . my and wife went to check surrounding and found this place
to be great , quiet ,& very affordable.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Clarksville, Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

The place is a dump....Manager is the worst and rudest ever. Booked 2 rooms from the internet....Prices we were charged were double what was on the door listing prices. Asked for a refund. Was denied refund. Took pictures of the roof that half the hotel was being worked on. An employee working on the roof got in our faces wanting to have his picture taken. I am appalled that this place can scam people the way they do. Not helpful, rude, and the office alone was pure nasty....But not as nasty as the manager.

Room Tip: would advise never to stay there
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Staten Island, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

we sell cars all over the state . and we always come here . we were in november last year
and back in feb. place looks better . they keep fixing and making better.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
tupelo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

worst place ever checked in after 30 minutes to get a key got in room to workers from hotel were smoking crack in my room lol got back to room next day waited 45 minutes for key room next to me had an adjoining door they wiggled it and got me into my room scary huh never stay at this dump worst ever

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business

Been to Value Inn of McKenzie? Share your experiences!