“2nd time lucky” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Airth
Livingston, United Kingdom
“2nd time lucky”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

After a disappointing stay for my fiances birthday, we were asked to return to the Airth Castle Hotel by the general manger as his guest. What a differnce. After a tiny glitch that was quickly remedied we were allocated the honeymoon suite. The room was fabulous. My fiance didn't want to leave, and the bathroom was amazing, and even has a telly you can watch while having a soak in the MASSIVE round bath. The bed was soooooo comfy and the only problem was getting on to it as it is so high.
We aslo had a fantastic meal in the Grill Room restaurant in the evening, and got breakfast brought to our room the next morning.
We'd like to thanks Gerry and the staff at the Airth for their hospitality and for making our stay so enjoyable.
Carol & Johnny

Room Tip: The honeymoon suite is a must for anyone wanting a romantic night away. :-)
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
AuroraHotels, Personal Assistant at Airth Castle & Hotel, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Thank you for giving us the opportunity to show what a special place Airth Castle Hotel & Spa is! I was very pleased to hear that you were looked after so well and that we have turned a negative into a positive. I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon. Kind Regards, Isla Kerr, PA to the CEO Aurora Hotel Collection

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
Midlothian
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

We stayed at Airth Castle on Sat 16th March . We had a room in the main castle (room 26)
A small suite with huge bath, lashings of hot water, fluffy pillows , toweling bath robes, slippers and toiletries and a very comfortable nights sleep. We ordered room service twice which was promp and the bread sandwiches were very fresh and with soft bread . The hallways ay need a little redecoration but the rooms were spotless . Well done to the Housekeeping Dept. who are oing a great job . Our evening in the ballroom was a huge success with ver attentive staff particularly ( John) duty manager . Couldn't do enough for us . Breakfast was great and my poached eggs perfect .
Thank you Airth we will return .

Temp easily controlled in our room.

Room Tip: Castle Rooms , good size .
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences at Airth Castle Hotel & Spa. We were extremely pleased to hear that you had such an enjoyable time with us, and hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon. Kind Regards, Isla Kerr, PA to the CEO Aurora Hotel Collection
Falkirk, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

We were at a family wedding at Airth Castle in May. The wedding itself was lovely however the rooms were very dated and in need of some updating and re-decoration. We had water damage on the roof in our room and the windows were very old.
Cumon Airth - get it sorted please

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
AuroraHotels, Personal Assistant at Airth Castle & Hotel, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences at Airth Castle Hotel & Spa. I have noted all your comments and will be passing them directly to the Management Team. I do however hope that you will make a return visit and I hope we can give you the experience you expected from Airth Castle Hotel. Kind Regards, Isla Kerr, PA to the CEO Aurora Hotel Collection
Glasgow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

We booked the spa day from an itison deal and were totally disapointed with the whole experience.

It all looked promising from the start and went down hill quickly. The staff are very nice and friendly and we were given our robes and towels but there were no slippers available because they had ran out. This gave us no option to walk in bare feet for the day - Not good at all.

The gym is small and unmanned and people are allowed to use their mobile phones to the annoyance of other gym users.

The changing rooms are the worst I have ever experienced in any spa or leisure complex EVER, and i have visited a few. There is a small communal space at the entrance of the changing rooms which houses 2 hair dryers and enough space for 2 or 3 people to get changed. There are no straightners of power points to plug your own straighteners in and no room to do your makeup. There is an extremely narrow corridor of lockers and no room to pass if someone is at their locker. At the bottom of this there are 3 changing cubicles, a toilet and 4 showers some without locks. The pool is extremely busy, noisy and too small for the volume of people.

We had a light lunch which was tasty and the staff were friendly, however waiting 30 mins between the soup starter and the main (sandwhich) is excesive. We were told the delay was because the hotel was busy with lunches.

The massage treatment was good but usually at the end of a massage the therapist will cover you up with the towel / blanket and quietly tell you your treatment is finished. At the end of my treatment the therapist left me uncovered, went over to the sink, washed her hands and said that's you finished and i'll leave you to get ready. Well that will be that then!

Overall the whole day was stressful and not in the slightest bit relaxing and I would never return or recommend a spa day at this hotel and spa ever. A real let down!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
AuroraHotels, Personal Assistant at Airth Castle & Hotel, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
As you can imagine, I was very disappointed to read the review of your experience at Airth Castle Hotel & Spa. At the Aurora Hotel Collection, we pride ourselves on our high standards of customer service, therefore I am extremely concerned that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion.

I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your concerns further, so that we can avoid any repetition of your experiences in the future. If this would be of interest, I can be reached on Isla.Kerr@aurorahotelcollection.com or 0844 800 4000. Kind Regards, Isla Kerr, PA to the CEO Aurora Hotel Collection
Northumberland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

I have been coming to this hotel for both business and pleasure for a number of years now.
I can honestly say that I have never had a bad experience in all the times that I have used it.
I have never stayed in the actual castle, but I find the rooms in the main hotel clean, well furnished and comfortable.
The evening meals are alway very tasty and well presented. The restaurant staff are always polite and friendly without being intrusive.
The Buffett breakfast is one of the best that I've had in terms of choice and quality.
We use the hotels conference facilities a number of times per year. Again, the service is always very good.
My only little gripe is that there is no wifi in the rooms, or the meeting rooms that we have used. A bit of a surprise for a hotel of this standard.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Shetland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

Was here for a forum. Staff were mostly very helpful. Location is lovely, with trees full of birds all around it. Plenty of parking. Restuarant was excellent, and the food was superb. Some rooms need a bit of TLC, but the one I was in was beautiful. One annoying thng is the amount of creaking floorboards in he bedrooms and meeting rooms. There is also a spa, which unfortunatly I never got time to use. Seems to be a resident ghost, as one of the forum atendees had a bit of a scare on the night. Understanding staff organised a room change without too much bother. Altogether a lovely place to stay.

Room Tip: Top floor was lovely
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
AuroraHotels, Personal Assistant at Airth Castle & Hotel, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences at Airth Castle Hotel & Spa. We were extremely pleased to hear that you had such an enjoyable time with us. Not everyone can come away from a Hotel with a ghost story! I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon. Kind Regards, Isla Kerr, PA to the CEO Aurora Hotel Collection
Insch, Aberdeenshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

My room was awful, 1980's dark maghogany furniture which had seen better days marks on the walls. Nothing like the photos on the website!
Tiles in bathroom cracked. Did not have our tea and coffee replenished or bathroom goodies.
Didn't try cooked breakfast I like mine fresh not kept warm in heaters. No muesli or granola just the same old 'flakes'. Having read the website I expected something much more upmarket than this. Many people seem satisfied with this hotel - their standards and expectations must be very low. As a well traveled person I can assure you this was well below par. The whole place needs revamping. The pool was good but there were no lockers available.

Room Tip: I believe the rooms in the actual castle are grander.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
As you can imagine, I was very disappointed to read the review of your stay at Airth Castle Hotel & Spa. At the Aurora Hotel Collection, we pride ourselves on our high standards of customer service, therefore I am extremely concerned that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion.

Been to Airth Castle & Hotel? Share your experiences!