“Airth Castle - Ok(ish)” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Airth
UK
“Airth Castle - Ok(ish)”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

The informationon the website heavily publises the Castle with little to no mention of the "other bit" not too bad though as I found out through other reviews so I did know what rooms we would be expecting. I tend to take reviews with a bit of a pinch of salt BUT everything I read about the non castle rooms being old and tired was right.

Where to start? Well my door didnt shut properly and needed a good shove - a point that the person that made up the room in the morning must have missed as returning one evening I found my door ajar, yup anyone could have got in! Luckily no one did.

Part of my room had been painted - In a completley different colour to the rest of the room! Classy.

The shower screen did not have enough sealant around the bottom a fact I only found out when I got out and found a pond on the bathroom floor.

Best bit though on the 3rd night the tempreture dropped to a minus and I noticed that it was getting a bit cold, this was because the top latch on my window did not shut properly, it took a whole roll of toilet paper and a towel to keep the chill out. I did consider pointing this all out at the front desk, this was on our last night and there were quite a few parties going on and the staff were very busy and often not to be seen.

This was room 110 I will add that room 112 was no better with the tempreture in there never getting comfortable and 109 was too hot with the guest in there needing to open to window in order to sleep!

the food was very good although the menu was a little spartan (we were on the christmas menu) and the location was lovely I thik just a little more attention to detail is needed.

Isla while I do appreciate you getting back to all of those who have had issues on here, please can you not give a generic response and instead a promise to deal with the issues that seem to keep arrising would be great.

Room Tip: not 109,110 or 112!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
AuroraHotels, Personal Assistant at Airth Castle & Hotel, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
I am Personal Assistant to the Chief Executive of The Aurora Hotel Collection. We would be very interested to hear more about your experience and would appreciate it if you could email me on isla.kerr@aurorahotelcollection.com so we can talk futher. Should you not wish to contact me at this time, please contact me should you wish to book again with The Aurora Hotel Collection. I look forward to hearing from you. Kind Regards Isla

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I would like to advice any one booking there xmas party night to avoid airth castle. Myself and colleagues were really disappointed in the venue. We arrived to a hall that usually serves breakfast and meals, converted into an evening dinner dance. The tables were cramped in at every angle and we were just about sitting on each other. We were served our starters and sweets and then given a slot when to go up and get our main course, which was frozen, when we complained about the temperature of the yorkshire puddings etc we were told that they were meant to be cold, never ever heard that one before. We had constant drips of water onto our table, in our faces, heads and outfits from the glass roof above, and complaint on the evening, the manger on duty threw cheap bottles of wine on the table to try and stop us complaining. Several tables of guests were moved after complaining but i dont know where to as hall was cramped pack. We were expecting a better venue , thats why we booked the castle in the first place. We were very very disapointed in this venue and would never recommend it to anyone in the future, the evening was supposed to be 70's and 80's music but the dj played more modern stuff than old stuff. very very disappointed indeed .

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012 via mobile

Reading bad reviews about the Christmas functions this hotel provides.
Can hardly believe it, mine was last night and we had a brilliant time, food was great, party was a really good laugh.

It's the staff that make it though, the manageress was extremely helpful to me when I needed directions to Glasgow, printed me out a map, booked me a taxi and arranged a wake up call for me! Very helpful.

Would recommend to anyone, and will return :-)

• Stayed December 2012
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

OMG! Where do I start? Booked this party night for 15 work colleagues. The brochure was very plush. The Aurora website very attractive. All hype and no substance. They market themselves to be one of the best companies in Scotland. People rave about having their wedding there. Well, all they are paying for is a name. We paid £60 each for the party night, bed and breakfast. By comparison to other similar party nights we have attended over the last few years it was mediocre. First of all, your " partynight at Airth Castle" isn't actually at the castle. You only get to glance at it on the way round the back of the purpose built modern building that hosts numerous suites for functions. It was little better than a travel lodge at the end of the day. When we arrived at the function suite to be seated we found ourselves packed in like sardines. It was extremely uncomfortable. There was barely room to move along an aisle and there was absolutely no room between people sitting side by side. When we complained we were told that the suite did not exceed the amount of people recommended by the fire regulations. Maybe so but the fire regulations didn't consider the amount of tables and chairs in the room. If it was true, the organisers paid no attention to the comfort of their guests. Being seated like this prevented us from going to the bar when we wanted. When some of us made it to the bar we weren't allowed to take our order back to the table ourselves. We basically waited ridiculous amounts of time for our order to be taken and delivered to our table. The meal was quite nice with the main courses being served buffet style. What let the meal down was the loud banging dance music playing throughout people arriving and having their meal.
The table next to us sat mostly empty while we had our meal then a dozen people arrived late. With the waiters and waitresses busy serving those of us who arrived on time they had to wait for their meal to be served. They comlained to the duty manager who moved the whole lot of them to a table next to the dance floor!! What a cheek! We all paid the same amount of money. Once the meal was over and the table was cleared we noticed a large damp patch on the table cloth after some of us had leaned on the table. Nothing had been spilled. We then started to notice that drips of water were falling from the conservatory roof. Drips were falling on our heads, our clothes and in our drinks. When we complained their solutuon was to change the tablecloth. How was that going to solve the problem? They then gave us 3 complimentary bottles of their cheap nasty white wine. Hardly makes up for getting dripped on all night. In conclusion we were very disappointed and won't be going back. There are much better xmas party nights out there.

Room Tip: Go to a diffrent hotel that doesn't belong to the same group.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
AuroraHotels, Personal Assistant at Airth Castle & Hotel, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

Just back from the Airth Castle Hotel from a Christmas night out. I will try and be subjective. We arrived 30 minutes late, only to find there were no seats, despite having paid over £40 each for the privilege. The staff tried to seat us apart, at different tables, which I frankly found unbelievable! I go to a Christmas night out with my fiancée and they think it is ok to seat us at different tables? I asked for an extra extension to the table and was told, each table seats 15, you have 2! Never mind they were very full and only seating 28! We were told it was being sorted, but no staff returned and only the kind act of a friend who had already eaten gave us seats together. Thanks Karen! Then to the food! So this is a 5* hotel! Really? I have had better McDonald's! The steak was tough, the turkey was dry, the potatoes were hard and the vegetables were cold! This is the worst food I have not eaten for a very long time. If you want a good Christmas party, and you value good food, and also if you would like to sit next to your loved one, then don't waste your money coming here! To make matters worse, we were back to back with another table, crammed, in like sardines, barely able to move. The worst Christmas experience ever for me! Save your money, go to McDonalds! !

Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

Had to let you know we had a fantastic time as always on Friday, the table was perfect and we could see everything that was going on!!. The wheelchair access room is the one we have always had and we are really pleased that you go out of your way to make sure we are allocated the same one each visit, a home from home.

The floor show was amazing and music and food just right. Everything went like clockwork. ( As always!).

We take our hats off to all the staff that make the magic of christmas happen for us all to enjoy, we really appreciate the hard work involved in making our stay so special each time.

We have already made our booking for next year as everyone that we spoke to was eager to make sure they could come again, so we did not want to miss out on our annual treat.

Very many thanks on a great job organising all the christmas festivities and hope you all have a great festive season too.

Joyce Ferguson and party.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 115 fabulous!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012 via mobile

The place looks great from the outside and the public areas are fine. Good luck at the undermanned reception. Room 15 though, yuk! Cold, stale smell, terrible state of decoration, literally threadbare carpet, cheap furniture, mouldy shabby bathroom, low water pressure, no water or coffee etc, no safe, no wfi, it's miles up and down stairs along several corridors. Worth about a tenner a night max. Avoid avoid avoid

• Stayed December 2012
AuroraHotels, Personal Assistant at Airth Castle & Hotel, responded to this review, December 7, 2012

Been to Airth Castle & Hotel? Share your experiences!