“Average hotel rooms But a good location in Portree.” 3 of 5 stars

Bosville Hotel
9-11 Bosville Terrace | Isle of Skye, Portree IV51 9DG, Scotland   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Portree
Vancouver, Canada
“Average hotel rooms But a good location in Portree.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

I stayed for 2 nights in December 2012 with my family (myself, wife and 17 month old son).

First off, parking is limited in front of the hotel but we got a spot every time. I imagine in high season this might be of concern for some travelers.

The room we had was of adequate size with a double bed and a single in the room. It had all the amenities that we expect from this level of hotel. The radiator in our bathroom did not work and when I enquired numerous times as I was told that the maintenance would look into it, but no one ever came to fix it nor were we offered any alternatives. I found that frustrating, as we like to try and keep it warm in the bathroom when our son has his bath.

The room heat was a bit on the cold side, even when we had the heat at the highest level the temperature dropped quite a bit in the room at night.

The cleanliness overall was fine, except when I moved some furniture. I had to rearrange a bit to make room for our son's crib, and when I moved the beds, they had not been cleaned under for some time. I also found what looked like some sort of insect or pest trap but I did not even want to inspect it further... Yikes.

The room and hotel in general could use some TLC. It is an old building so thee are creaks and noises when people walk around. The pub was very nice though. It was the cleanest pub that I was able to find in town and it seemed some locals called in as well, so that is always a good sign.

The staff were friendly and helpful, apart from the non working radiator issue.

If I wasting visit Portree again u would look into other possible accommodation options.

• Stayed December 2012
Susan M, Guest Relations Manager at Bosville Hotel, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Thank you for your review, I am glad that you enjoyed most of your stay; we appreciate all comments as we can use them to improve the service we offer our customers.

I was disappointed to read about the radiator not working in your bathroom and have asked the receptionist about this. She said that during your visit, she could not get in touch with our maintenance man, however, as she discovered later he was off work for two days which was why she couldn’t get in touch with him. She did assume that he would be in as usual the following morning and that he would have been able to fix your radiator – we do apologise for this. Unfortunately it would have been impossible to move you to another room as we were fully booked too.

I was also disappointed to read that the housekeepers had neglected to clean under that bed, I have had a meeting with the Housekeeping Manager about this and she has now made sure that all the beds have been pulled out and checked by the housekeepers.

In the past, insects have been brought into the hotel on the clothing of customers and so as a precaution and on the advice of our environmental control specialists we like many quality hotels, have placed equipment inside and out to ensure that this does not happen.

We do have a refurbishment programme in place which has just begun, and do hope that you and your family will return to sample the Bosville Hotel at its best.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Tuscany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

In a rainy October night I was driving by Portree and decided to stay overnight. I didn't have a reservation so checked out few B&B and hotels until I stumbled upon the Bosville where I was impressed first by the ground floor restaurant (and its amazing menu) but also by the atmosphere and the warm welcome from all the staff. The fare was very reasonable for the quality of the accommodation so I ended up staying two nights (rewarded by a glorious sunny morning the second day!). I really enjoyed this hotel, I loved the gourmet breakfast, the restaurant (called the Chandlery) and I even bought the chef's signature recipes book. The second night I ate to the next door restaurant called Harbour View (excellent seafood in cozy candle light).

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you very much for your review, we were delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you also enjoyed lovely sunshine whilst you were on this beautiful island! Do hope that you will be able to come back one day.
Ayr, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

My husband and I travelled to Skye with our three dogs and arrived in Portree looking for a dog friendly hotel / B&B. We stumbled in to the Bosville and found a real haven. Dogs were made very welcome and so were we, and the rates were reasonable. The room was perfectly adequate and roomy and very comfortable. We enjoyed the bar and restaurant. Food was very good, nicely presented and tasty. We extended our stay to two nights. The staff were friendly, very helpful, particularly with information on the best walks in the area and always greeted us with a smile. Thank you Bosville - we hope to be back

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thank you too for your kind review! We are delighted that you were happy with your stay and the food and that we were smiling! Looking forward to you coming back.
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

3rd time I've stayed here now this year,staff very friendly.parking is only down side as its very limited.rooms are split level and fantastic staff great.food very good, breakfast service is from 0730 , bit late for me since I'm working on the island.but it's a minor niggle and you can let them know if you wish an earlier one.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Susan M, Guest Relations Manager at Bosville Hotel, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Thank you for your kind review and yes you can! Please just let us know the evening before if you would like an earlier breakfast and we will sort that for you. See you back very soon I hope!
Derby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Our third visit here and stayed for one night in October prior to catching the Saturday morning ferry to Tarbert, Very nice family room with cot for our baby and all linen supplied. Me and my wife enjoyed a nice meal in the restaurant and had a relaxing drink in the bar after the 500 mile drive north. Our son liked the separate room he got, will definitely go again.
Staff very friendly, especially the lady who served breakfast who made a fuss of our daughter as everyone with children will know breakfast with an 18 month baby is interesting!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Travelling 500 miles with small children can also be pretty interesting, so I was happy to read that you were able to relax during your time with us! See you all back soon I hope and thank you very much for your review.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

Very helpful and friendly staff.
One member of staff, Dennis, even moved his car in the pouring rain so we could get a space right outside. Thank you Dennis you are a superstar =)
We let the hotel know we'd be arriving quite late on but with bad weather the drive took us longer than anticipated. They still kept the kitchen open after hours for us.
Staff were very friendly and helpful and I look forward to staying here again sometime.

• Stayed September 2012
Thank you very much for your review which has made Dennis very happy! It can be pretty unpleasant arriving late after a long drive in bad weather – of course we would keep the kitchen open for you!!
Look forward to you coming back (in better weather next time)!
Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012 via mobile

Nice room, very helpful staff. Delicious full breakfast included in our rate. Step out the front door to a view of Portree Harbour. We would stay here again. I notice previous negative comments regarding the hotel's limited parking. That is not an uncommon thing in Portree's town centre, from what I could tell.

• Stayed October 2012
Thank you for your review – we are very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us! It us unfortunate that we have limited parking, and you are correct, most hotels in the town centre have the same problem. What we do if we are full, is direct people to the nearest spot available once they have left their luggage with us.

Do hope you will be back soon.

Been to Bosville Hotel? Share your experiences!