“Loch Ness & Glencoe Tour” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #4 of 15 Activities in Portree
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Loch Ness & Glencoe Tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

My family and I took the 2 day tour to Loch Ness & Glencoe and we were so delighted with the trip. The guide, Bill, was absolutely fantastic. He provided us with a lot of information on the history of the area and also told us a great deal of stories about Scotlands past. We would really like to thank Bill personally for making the trip so good and so personal to us. It really was absolutely fantastic and we would recommend him to any of our friends and family. We can't wait to go on the Orkney trip when it becomes available and look forward to seing Bill again. Thank you again Bill. The Gray Family. P.S. Tom composed this.

Visited December 2012

Indianapolis, Indiana
12 attraction reviews
“Isle of Skye Tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

We travel annually to Europe, and our four day Isle of Skye tour in 2011 remains our favorite vacation experience. My review is really late, but I was looking through our photo album & just had to post good things about this tour company. It is a small group tour, which we view as a definite plus. Our guide, Bill, was a wealth of information and had many entertaining stories and legends. I was a bit apprehensive about allowing the tour company to pick our B&B's, but Bill's bookings were spot on. He even made a beer recommendation to my husband (Black Cullins) and my hubby is still trying to locate a distributor in the states for this microbrew. The tour group was comprised of 20 & 30 somethings with a mixture of nationalities. The Isle of Skye is one of the most beautiful places I've ever been, and I hope to go back there again some day. We aren't ones to go back to the same place twice, but we do talk about going back to Scotland to do this tour again... it really was that good!

Visited December 2011
Durham, North Carolina
19 attraction reviews
“Wonderful! The best part of our trip to Scotland.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

My husband and I took the 4 day tour to Skye and Inverness and it was simply fantastic. Its a small group (max 15) mini bus tour - we only had 11 people on our particular tour. James, our guide, was charming, funny, easygoing, knowledgable, and a terrific storyteller. You could tell he loved to do these tours and that he was very passionate about Scotland and the Highlands - its history, magic and scenery. His emotional connection to the stories and history made us feel connected as well.

The itinerary managed to be both relaxed and cover a lot of ground. We never spent more than 45 minutes sitting on the bus - it was usually a lot shorter because we were always pulling over to take pictures, see a sight, hear a story, grab a snack and a break, or take a "wee" walk. Some of the walks are in fact, wee, and some of them require a little bit of hiking. Nothing too strenuous, but I recommend comfortable waterproof shoes with some tread on them. That way you can get to the best picture taking spots! James talked when there was something to say and sometimes he was quiet and played some local music to add to the ambiance as we stared around at the amazing scenery.

The bus was comfortable with good sized seats. Though, as I mentioned above, you dont spend very much time sitting in them! We stayed at several terrific bed and breakfasts that I would recommend to anyone - great hosts, comfortable rooms, yummy breakfasts. Suggestions for places to eat or have a pint in the evening were always excellent.

We would recommend this tour to anyone and have already told several people we know who want to go to Scotland that they should definitely take this tour. We're also considering booking another one in the future!

Visited September 2012
Madison, Wisconsin
8 attraction reviews
“Bill, you are the best!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

My friend and I decided to do this tour while in Scotland, and it was a great decision. Unfortunately, it snowed a great deal the night before we left, however, Bill's astonishing amount of knowledge and his great talent of story telling made the trip unforgettable. Absolutely loved it, I was worried about spending so much time in a van which 12 strangers, but it was really fun. We made enough stops so I didn't feel cramped. It was entertaining and had great views and Bill also teaches you a great deal about Scottish history. I would recommend this tour to anyone who is looking for a small tour (much better than those large tour buses) where you can get to know your tour guide and all the others on the tour with you.

Visited March 2012
UK
“Would have gone with Rabbie's but so glad to have chosen Real Scottish Journeys instead!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I had gone on a Rabbie's day tour four years ago and this year wanted to go on a similar small group multi-day tour of Scotland with our three-year-old son. Unfortunately a lot of tour companies, including Rabbie's, didn't take under fives and I booked the Highland and Island Special Four Day tour via the Heart of Scotland website for the sole reason that the minimum age for passengers was three. It turned out to be a fantastic experience, and we heartily recommend Real Scottish Journeys to everyone.

Bill, our guide and driver, was an excellent raconteur, telling jokes and weaving historical accounts, myths and legends with ease, insight and humour as the amazing Scottish landscape rolled past. He was great with the kids (our son and another couple of boys on the tour with us) and had them doing high fives and chatting with him right away. Our son now calls himself 'Driver Bill'. It looked like the child-free couples in our group enjoyed themselves too.

The pace of the tour was excellent -- packed yet unhurried with plenty of rest stops. It certainly helped that the Jacobite (Hogwarts Express) steam train passed along the Glenfinnan viaduct just as we were there on Day 1! We never felt as though we needed to stick to a tight itinerary and Bill always checked with the group to see if we were happy with the day's plan.

Start times of 8:30 and 9:30am were much appreciated, and restaurant/cafe suggestions as well as the selection of accommodations (central location and plenty of choices for breakfast; cost of stay not included in tour fee) were good.

The entire experience was great value and we felt as though we were on a private road trip with friends rather than captives on a mass-produced machine. It was a real Scottish journey!