“Cramped” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Coolin View

You added Coolin View to your Saves list
Coolin View
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   2 Bosville Terr, Portree IV51 9DG, Scotland   |
Ranked #56 of 98 Portree B&B and Inns
London, England, United Kingdom
“Cramped”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

Not what I expected having booked three rooms following the reviews on this site!
The rooms are all very small and the price is high for the area. One of our rooms was a single and this had a WC on the landing outside.
The Scottish breakfast was poor cold and very small on the smallest plate ever!
The scrambled eggs were omelette mashed up all a bit all a bit strange.
All through breakfast I was reminded of the balance outstanding, by the Land ladies Russian breakfast cook with the land lady nowhere to be seen.
All very penny pinching

Room Tip: some rooms with sea view although very compact
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Indonesian first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

I was travelling by myself on a road trip around the Highlands and Skye and opted to stay at the Coolin View in a single room. From the moment I arrived I felt at home. Ruth made sure I was comfortable and provided excellent recommendations on where to eat in Portree and what I should see on my stay in Skye. The room itself was generous and comfortable for a single room and reasonably priced.
The breakfast was great - and I enjoyed having a chat to Ruth and Mila being a solo traveller. Mila was a great host during breakfast time and made sure I had ample coffee and was well fed to keep me going for the day ahead!
The location is perfect, everything in Portree can be reached by foot from the Coolin View, and the actual views from the property are lovely.
I hope to return some day and would not hesitate recommending the Coolin View as a place to stay. When you travel, it's the people you meet that form your good experiences and memories and this was certainly the case when I stayed here.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

I recently stayed here for a week in a single room. I was very pleased that this room (no.3) was not the usual tiny single room that other B&B's have and everything was clean and tidy - and the shower was great! It's handily located close to the shops and restaurants; good prices too. If I head back to Skye, it's the first place I'd check for availability.

Room Tip: Room 3 has a view of a wall around the back of the building, not a problem for me, but maybe for som...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Inverness, Scotland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

I have just recently returned from a business trip to Skye and my usual hotel was fully booked, so I booked into the Coolin Vue. Ruth could not do enough for me. Rooms were spotless. Beautiful breakfast. Very refreshing to have received such gracious first class hospitality. I will most definitely be staying here on future visits!

Room Tip: The views of the Cuillins to the front of the property are breathtaking no matter what the weather.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

Skye is, to understate it, stunning. Bed and breakfasts proliferate like weeds in spring. With that, this reviewer made a conscious decision to stay at the Coolin Guest House in Portree, the largest town and commercial center of the Isle of Skye and a 4~5 hr drive from Glasgow. Glad I did too. The ‘guest house’ left a positive impression. Its location 5~8 minutes walk from central Portree, 3 minutes walk from Portree’s picturesque, painted waterfront and reasonably priced (single) rooms, met expectations. The usual format for my reviews: analysis of the room itself; the good, the needs improvement and the conclusion. Tip? There is a well positioned Co-Op supermarket 90 seconds away from the hotel for water, fruit etc.

The room? I had deliberately booked a ‘single’ room. Which are slightly different – smaller – than ‘double’ rooms that were for couples. The hotel layout is small and not in a cosy way. It is a converted old house, with no ‘lobby’ per se. The breakfast room is on the left as you enter and some sort of private admin room on the right. The stairs– there is no elevator – are narrow and require a bit of skill to navigate: I watched several couples struggle trying to move too large suitcases up their stairs. The room was small and quirky. It had no separate ‘bathroom’ but contained a shower with good pressure that opened straight onto the room. The toilet? Not in the room but rather, outside the room, though for exclusive use of the occupant of that room and required your room key to open. The urge never hit me at 4am. Lucky too I think. The room was warm, good thing too given Skye weather is fickle. The single bed was standard, though comfortable. There is tea/coffee making facilities in the room, though no fridge. No in room safe that I noticed either. Cable TV was available with a decent variety of channels. There is enough storage for my pack and (too) much camera kit. Small though noticeable touches to try make the room more homely were noticed. It felt cosy, not small.

The good?
a) Location on the northern outskirts of Portree, right above the harbor, is something that needs to be stressed. Perfect in my view. Some rooms have views (ask for a ‘front room’ and you will look down on that harbor, but also be exposed to road noise)
b) Price point relative to standard was excellent. This B&B will not set any benchmarks in ultra-luxury, but then you should not expect that either given cost.
c) Subjective as always, but the hosts this reviewer encountered were genuinely friendly. As mentioned above, the competition for tourists – and I was there in low season – is high. Service goes a long way and it noticed by this reviewer. It always amazes me what guests expect relative to what can be realistically provided. The B&B balances those requirements nicely.
d) Free wifi with good speeds. Skye is idealic and, lets be frank, a long way away from anything resembling a city. The bandwidth was sufficient enough stream Sky Sports Champions League games.
e) Breakfast is provided with most of the rates (tho not mine) and is of a decent standard and reasonably priced. The dining room is cosy and the hosts make sure you are all set. Again, good service was seen and noted. Tip? If a full English is not your thing, there is an excellent small bakery on the town square 2 minutes drive into Portree. It opens early too.

Needs improvement?
a) Credit card usage: I booked using LateRooms.com. Not a slight on LateRooms.com, but almost every other travel site lets you pay the hotel using your credit card directly using whatever e-travel site you wish. LateRooms makes the reservation and asks for a credit card to hold it. I mention this because, when I was there, the Inn’s machine to process credit cards took, apparently, ‘a long time’. This and other similar comments made by the hosts dissuaded me enough to pay cash. Which I find - to say the least - irksome. It is 2012. Hotels and such like need to accept credit cards without resorting to ‘machine is slow’ type excuses to get around merchant fees or the taxman. More odd was high speed internet/cable TV... Credit cards use the same 'pipe'. If they are a problem, do what low cost airlines do and make people pay a surcharge. Or go the other way and offer a discount for cash payments.
b) Parking: Space is finite around the hotel so there is little it can do about this, but I counted 7 spots available in front of the hotel. They are roped off and for the exclusive use of Coolin Inn guests. You don’t know this when you arrive because signage is missing. Thus, require a gentle enquiry to assuage availability. There are more than 7 rooms at the Inn. First come, first served. Not a problem for me given it was low season. But on Skye, you need a car to get around. Hotel(s) next door mean you will be competing for street parking and there is not much of that either. Worth bearing in mind if you around late at night in high season.

Conclusion?
Impressive. I chose this hotel because it reviewed well on Tripadvisor, it fit my budget and was located in the centre of Skye within easy walk of dinner etc. Competition is intense for the price point and lets be frank, a large part of Skye’s economy is intrinsically linked to tourism. The B&B should be considered if heading to Skye and you decide to use Portree as a base. The negatives are not large and, in all fairness, if aware of them, can be – with alittle patience or foresight – be worked around.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
glasgow
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

Didn't stay in this B&B but it is important to say that the owner saw me with a group of 3 friends taking pictures from the sea (Portree with its colorful houses) just in front of her parking and was very rude asking us to stop. I never saw something like this since we were not touching any car there (there was no car at the moment) and just taking pictures. A strange and agressive reaction from someone who probably do not cooperate with the beautiful and rich peaceful atmosphere in Isle of Skye.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Fairfield, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

In the midst of a hectic trip from Ireland to London, our family stayed at Coolin View for two nights. Our host, Ruth, was friendly and helpful, the beds were comfortable, and the room sizes typical of what you find in Europe. Since there were six of us, we occupied three rooms, all facing the bay with spectacular views of the bay and Portree and Skye. The rooms were all very clean, the in-room bathrooms small but nicely done and well-kept. It's an easy walk to many shops and restraunts around town and just up the road from the grocery. Breakfast was not spectacular, but it wasn't poor either. it was about the same as we'd been eating everywhere else for the past week. Of seven places we stayed on our trip, this was one of three where I felt comfortable, at home, and was able to relax.

Room Tip: Ask for a bay view!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Been to Coolin View? Share your experiences!