This is the second time we have been here and there seems to be a need to get a few things straight. Some people have the strange idea that they should try to find fault with this place. Firstly I thought they must either have been somewhere else or that they had some personality defect. Then I felt sorry for them. They have missed out on feeling relaxed and that everything is OK with the world. Eventually I realised that they are the sort of people who can't interact with the staff to get the best result. If you haven't had the menu within 10 minutes and this upsets you then ask for it. As the advert says 'Simples'.
The attention is fantastic. From the moment of arrival we were made welcome. The tea and cake was just right. The room was spotless and we felt special.
The meal was excellent. The staff were attentive and made good suggestions. We were urged to try things we had never had before; they were good. The extra little bites were surprising and exciting. The food looked stunning and tasted even better. Time flowed by and there was no rush.
At the end of the meal we left the restaurant feeling that we had had an evening of entertainment; feeling full but not overfed.
This place is fantastic. Perhaps it is good that it gets no more awards, just leave it for those of us who think its is great. Those who want to criticise and nit pick should go somewhere else, preferably several hundred miles away, they just don't deserve what's on offer here. They should read Shirley Spears book, realise how crass they are and apologise to the staff for their comments.
Michael Smith's cooking is intelligent and witty with constant changes to adapt to what is available; with proper response to the seasons. This could only be done to this standard somewhere like Skye.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Three Chimneys and The House Over-By is a 5-Star Restaurant with Rooms in a stunning, remote location beside the sea in the northwest corner of the Isle of Skye, Scotland. Colbost is situated on the shores of Loch Dunvegan, a wide sea loch that opens into The Minch, the narrow stretch of sea between Skye and the Outer Hebrides. The views are stunning whatever the time of year. The Three Chimneys is one of Scotland's most famous restaurants, specialising in the freshest local produce including wonderful seafood from the immediate coastal waters. Chef/Director Michael Smith is well-known for his passion for Scottish ingredients, cooked simply to allow the flavours to sing for themselves. Providing very skillful, professional, but friendly and welcoming service at all times is what the team strives to achieve. Standards of cleanliness and comfort in the bedroom suites in The House Over-By are meticulous. The rooms have wonderful sea views and breakfasts are served in the Morning Room with its panorama across the loch, where seals can be seen clearly on frequent occasions. Eddie and Shirley Spear have owned the business for 30 years and remain pro-active within their business daily. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- 3 Chimneys Restaurant With Rooms
- Three Chimneys Restaurant With Rooms Hotel Colbost
- Three Chimneys Restaurant With Rooms Scotland/Isle Of Skye - Colbost