“Excellent” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 6 Ardvasar B&B and Inns
scotland
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here with my partner for 2 nights recently. We have been to Skye before but never down to the south so decided this time to try The Ardvasar.

Richard is an amazing host. He was genuine, friendly and overall just lovely. He also had the bonus of little Pixie, his old terrier, who followed him about everywhere. It was great for myself and my partner because we are animal lovers and it made the whole place seem homely. I can understand some people may not like it, but it does say online that it is an animal friendly hotel so if you go there expecting no animals then you're dumb.

The room we had (no 4) was surprisingly large. I actually couldn't get over the size of it at first. The bathroom was modern, clean and the bath was huge. The bed was good and I really liked the quilt. We had a sea view room looking over to Malaig, it was really beautiful.

We had dinner one night which was very tasty and had breakfast both mornings. The cooked breakfast is really good, the black pudding was my favourite.

The service from all staff we encountered was great and I'd definitely recommend the Ardvasar to anyone visiting Skye. We will be staying here again in the future.

• Stayed July 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Falkirk, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

Spent two wonderful days here. I'm rather surprised that another reviewer thought the rooms were on the small size. Personally I found the bedroom to be large, much larger than most I have stayed in. The bathroom was normal sized and only drawback was the sloped ceiling over the toilet, being 6ft5 it was a bit tight. Richard was very nice and spoke to us whenever he seen us and you just have to love Pixie.

The room was very nice, everything felt clean and well done, the tv was old but no one goes to Skye to watch tv so that is a very very minor detail. We had a sea view room and it was lovely. The bathroom felt new and the bath itself was a good size and my fiancée says very relaxing.

We had dinner at the hotel the first night and again the food was very nice. Both days we stayed tthere we got up for breakfast, service was good and the cooked breakfast was delicious, I highly recommend the bacon.

This is the first review I've written so not entirely sure what to say but I would recommend the Ardvasar hotel to anyone and hope to stay there again in the not to distant future.

Room Tip: Can only say we had room 4 and it was very nice.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Conquerall Mills, Nova Scotia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

We spent 4 nights at Ardvasar in Rm. 12. Richard was most welcoming and very attentive for our whole stay. The hotel is very quaint with a wonderful pub and very good food. We felt the room and bathroom were rather small. I asked Richard if there was a larger one but he said we had the largest. Unfortunately, the bed was not comfortable. A new mattress is a must. We also felt the Continental breakfast was lacking in variety and quality and as we don't usually partake in a cooked breakfast, it was disappointing. The location and ambience were great - very easy to make acquaintances in the lovely lounge and dining room. And it was free WI-FI!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Glasgow
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

having just returned from a week's trip to Skye we were staying in a little cottage not too far from this hotel. would just like to say that the standard of food they provide is excellent and as we had two dogs with us we were able to eat in the bar area from the extensive restaurant menu. would thoroughly recommend the scallops with garlic and herb butter!! on a particularly busy evening in the bar/restaurant, Richard allowed my husband and myself to sit in the residents lounge and have a drink, which was really comfortable with a lovely view.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Scotland and New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

Whenever I visit a friend in Sleat on the Isle of Skye I always hope to eat at the Ardvasar. The food is good value, with great portions and well cooked. The welcome even at busy times is first rate. Booking is wise in the summer months. One thing to note is that the hotel (and restaurant) is open around the year

Room Tip: I didnt stay but I would without hesitation.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Plymouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

I chose this hotel mainly because of the closeness to the ferry and it was an excellent choice! Richard offered to collect us from the ferry, but we opted to stretch our legs after a day of travelling and we walked the short distance to the hotel where Richard greeted us and made us extremely welcome. We stayed for three nights, first night in the four poster bed woodland view room and then changed to the lovely sea front facing large room (as it wasn't available on the first night) both rooms were extremely well decorated. They had a proper hair dryer (not one of those that are are fixed), slippers (which were greatly appreciated), tea / coffee and lovely shortbread biscuits! I had booked bed and breakfast, but we actually ate in the hotel every evening too, as the food was superb. So to sum up, the hotel is great, Richard is the perfect host and the location is fabulous. We hired a car from Skye car hire at Kyle taxis, which they delivered to the hotel, and the Ardvasar was the perfect place for touring around the isle. I would thouroughly recommend staying here, we most definitely will return, thank you Richard for your hospitality.

Room Tip: Both the four poster woodland view and the main sea front facing we're great, but sea view wins...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

We've traveled from Colorado to the Isle of Skye every year for 13 years and always look forward to going to the Ardvasar Hotel for wonderful lunches and dinners. The setting is stunning looking across the Sound of Sleat to the mainland. The atmosphere is informal with a warm and welcoming Highland feel. Excellent food with daily specials featuring a variety of outstanding local produce and seafood. Great selection of Scottish whiskeys, ales and beers (my husband loves the local Red Cuillin on draft!). The hotel's owner, Richard is always there tending to the details that make the restaurant and hotel so special. He's a gracious and delightful host who makes everyone feel at home. We stay in a self-catering cottage when visiting Skye but have recommended the Ardvasar Hotel to friends who have stayed there and said they loved it. It's a great place to strike up a conversation with the locals and a "must visit" when in Skye. Highly recommended!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Ardvasar Hotel? Share your experiences!