We decided , at very short notice, to visit Mull and we wanted to stay at Glengorm Castle for a couple of nights as a special treat. We left our home in North Yorkshire en route to Oban without managing to confirm a booking at the Castle, and in fact only managed to confirm our booking whilst at the Calmac Terminal in Oban on the first morning of our trip.
On arrival at the Castle we were met by Pam, who introduced us to Tom Nelson, the owner ,who was in the midst of repairing a shower in one of the rooms.
We were upgraded,without charge, from our booked room to the Laorin room which was quite simply stunning. Huge views from the window over the Sound Of Mull and the outlying islands.
The room had a massive, comfy bed, and a huge bathroom with a bath so deep, it needed a lifeguard watching over you.
In the library there are views out to sea, and the added attraction of a selection of whisky for you to have, with the owner's compliments which was a really nice touch.
Breakfast was a feast, served in the lovely dining room. I am a short,squat,Scot and I enjoy an occasional fried breakfast when on holiday. Glengorm's breakfast was super with the finest black pudding I have ever tasted, and believe me, I have tasted plenty of black pudding.
The real beauty of the castle,apart from the building and the grounds ,is that it is obviously a much loved family home, with their 2 spaniels and cat having run of the place.
I cannot pretend that it is a particularly cheap destination, but was it worth the price,absolutely.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated on the Northern tip of the Isle of Mull near Tobermory, Glengorm Castle overlooks the Atlantic and has spectacular views over the Outer Hebrides. The Castle was built in 1860 and sits at the headland of Glengorm's vast area of coastline, forests, lochs and hills. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA so you can book your Glengorm Castle reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Glengorm Castle Hotel Tobermory
- Glengorm Castle Tobermory, Scotland