“A most accommodating stay” 5 of 5 stars

The Glenforsa Hotel Mull
2.5 of 5 Small Hotel   |   Salen | Aros, Salen PA72 6JW, Scotland   |
Ranked #2 of 6 Salen B&B and Inns
Chicago, Illinois
“A most accommodating stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

I think the bad reviews I've read have been incredulous and completely laughable. I'm sure the owner must be respectfully holding back as I know he has been to and stayed in New York. He has been more than gracious in his responses to some of libelous accusations made here. That said, my family and I had a wonderful time. Food was great, piping hot (watch the steak pie!), and plentiful: all locally grown, caught, hatched. Brendan and Allison are amiable and accommodating hosts. The staff is just as nice. The hotel is justifiably and beautifully rustic and reminds me of my stays in Wisconsin -which were at more premium prices I might add. Having stayed at five star city hotels, I just really find this place much more enjoyable. The hound in the front lobby was a definite plus! It's close enough to Craignure to get to the first am ferry without rushing. The staff would have had a hot breakfast early, but we did not want to trouble them. I highly recommend this hotel. My only wish was that we would have had more time to enjoy this gem of an island.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

114 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Dorchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

I have just returned from staying at Glenforsa where I flew in on a Friday and left Sunday morning to fly home.
The trip was arranged at the last minute to take advantage of the weather.
Alison and Brendan were hospitable and helpful and run a comfortable Hotel. The bar meals are excellant and the restaurant first class. I can recommend the steak, cooked to perfection.
On my next visit I intend to stay longer; its an excellent base for flying around the Hebrides

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
King's Lynn, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

Whilst I have seen somewhat mixed reviews on Trip Advisor, I can only declare that my wife and I have found this hotel one of the very best that we have visited on our tour around Scotland. We flew in to the local grass airfield, only 80 metres from the hotel, to be greeted by owner Brendan and his wife Allison. They have made us most welcome and presented us with some of the most delicious food that we have experienced anywhere. This hotel is most comfortable, is situated in an area of exceptional beauty and is the ultimate place at which to chill out. Unfortunately, we need to leave tomorrow but would not hesitate to return to this hotel if we are ever back in Mull.

Highly recommended !!!

Room Tip: All rooms appear to be equivalent and good.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
EDINBURGH
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

We enjoyed our 4 night stay here. Well situated for exploring Mull. We ate at the hotel on three of the 4 nights. The management was friendly and helpful. They gave us info to get to Staffa. There were only 3 points which did not make this a first class place. The first, the room was very dark and we needed the lights on most of the time. The advertised wi fi did not work in the room. The meal the first night was pricey for the quality. The bar meals the other 2 evenings were fine.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Glenforsa, Owner at The Glenforsa Hotel Mull, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, we are sorry that you could not get wi-fi in your room, there are a number of wi-fi nodes throughout the hotel to ensure 100% coverage of our free wi-fi service and occasionally these need resetting, if we are informed of a problem this only takes a couple of minutes.Our restaurant serves only the very best locally sourced produce supplemented by vegetables from our garden,eggs from our chickens and fish caught from our boat, we are aware of what is charged on other restaurants on Mull and we are confident that our prices represent extremely good value while maintaining a very high standard.
TOWCESTER
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I have just returned home from 3 nights at The Glenforsa Hotel. My family and I really enjoyed the relaxing atmosphere created by Allison and Brendan and their very capable team. The views across the Airfield to the Sound of Mull are stunning and we saw otters, dolphins and even a couple of Sea Eagles all from the skylounge above the bar.
We eat on 2 evenings in the restaurant (a great success) and on the last night had a bar meal where freshly caught Mackeral was on offer.
The hotel have their own chickens and a large polytunnel that Steve, the gardener, took me around and I was impressed with the array of vegetables that end up on the tables of the restaurant every evening.
I could go on but enough to say that we have booked again for later in the year. Well done to all of you and many thanks for helping to make our stay a success.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Ashington, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

A friend booked a twin room for us with " views" at the Glenforsa for 3 days in May. Arrived and were met by a surly unsmiling guy who showed us to our dark cramped room! As we walked along the smelly wood walled corridors it reminded me of a western set and we were being shown to the cells!
There were no views unless you were a contortionist. It was hemmed in by dank gloomy plantation conifers. The only saving grace was that the supper was good, after which we hightailed it along to Tobermorey to find accomodation for the last 2 nights. So having only stayed one night, we were charged for all 3...in the best Britsih tradition.
Luckily the guest house in Tobermorey ( Failte) was excellent, everything that the Glenforsa wasnt, the host was kind and helpful, the rooms were light and airey and didnt smell, the bathrooms were modern and warm... the view across the harbour was superb.

Room Tip: go somewhere else
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Glenforsa, Owner at The Glenforsa Hotel Mull, responded to this review, June 1, 2013
We are sorry that your stay at the Glenforsa Hotel did not match your expectations, although our website and published descriptions of the hotel clearly state that the hotel is of log construction in a woodland setting with sea and mountain views. The woods are mainly mature 140 year old Sitka Spruce and there are extensive views of The sound of Mull,Morvern and the Ardnmmurchan Peninsula from the bar, restaurant, lounge and some of our rooms. The natural colour and wood smell are features of Glenforsa that are much commented on and enjoyed by many of our guests who find the contrast from modern chain hotels a refreshing change. Unfortunately we were unable to address any of your concerns, as when asked why you were checking out early and was there a problem you said it was because your partner wanted to be based in Tobermory. We will be reviewing our description of the constuction,setting and location of the hotel to see if they can be improved.
Essex
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

This hotel is in a perfect place to explore the wonderful Isle of Mull. It is in a woodland setting and particularly lovely for a bird watcher. The breakfast is one of he best I have ever had in a hotel and the evening bar meals are good quality if a little limited in choice.
The lady who runs the hotel couldn't be more welcoming but the gentleman who was normally behind the bar didn't really have much time for us. however those who were staying who used a private plane or a boat/yacht he would talk at length to as these were shared passions.
The rooms were a little too dark being made totally of wood and the lighting and plumbing not quite up to the standard one would expect.
However all in all we enjoyed our stay at the hotel and would use again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Glenforsa Hotel Mull? Share your experiences!