“Not a place to take your child, a lifeless place” 2 of 5 stars

The Glenforsa Hotel Mull
2.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   Salen | Aros, Salen PA72 6JW, Scotland   |
Ranked #2 of 9 Salen B&B and Inns
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Not a place to take your child, a lifeless place”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2011

We didn't stay here and therefore can't pass comment regarding the accommodation available.
We visited the hotel to have some lunch after a busy morning out and about.
On arrival the grounds are very impressive and the property is tidy in its appearance. We walked into the reception (foyer)area and no-one was around to help. The place seemed empty. We then walked through to the bar area which was tidy and clean, but no-one to serve us.
A guest sitting reading then advised us we need to ring the bell for attention and that we were in the right room to eat, there was no atmosphere.
The lady working that day arrived promptly, we asked her what was on the menu, and if they did children's meals. She informed us that the children meals are the smaller portions of the adult meals (which is not a good selection for a 3 year old palette), she was sharp and a little hostile towards us.
My 3 year old boy (who can't yet read) then proceeded to try and climb onto the bar stool whilst my husband and I were checking the menu. The lady serving then spoke to my 3 year old asking him to get down from the bar stool as you must be over 18 to sit at the bar, and proceeded to speak to him in a very hostile manner. Of course he didn't understand this and I lifted him away. I was insulted by this as she should have approached me about this situation, nevertheless in typical British style I din't complain but left the hotel as we didn't feel welcome.
We may have Geordie accents and not appear to 'belong' in this hotel, however they shouldn't judge a book by its cover, they need to be careful of this unwelcoming atmosphere as families spend money. If you're an elderly couple you may enjoy it here, otherwise forget it.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Glenforsa, Owner at The Glenforsa Hotel Mull, responded to this review, September 1, 2011
It is a specific condition of the licencing authorities that children are not allowed to sit at the bar, but our main concern is that a small child could fall from our high bar stools and hurt themselves.
We do not provide a childrens menu but our (Geordie) chef is more than happy to prepare mini meals to order that are very popular with our young guests and their parents.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Dundee, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2011

Excellent stay despite the rather mixed weather. Unusual hotel in that it was prefabricated in Norway and made entirely from wood. Does mean that the corridors are a little dark but the warmth of the welcome more than made up for it - the welcome including the resident Labrador ! Food was excellent with a particularly substantial breakfast in the morning setting you up for the day. Cosy downstairs bar which also serves bar meals and a good sized lounge upstairs with views over the sound of Mull. Rooms clean and tidy and ample parking. If you are into aviation then plenty to look at round the hotel and Mull's only airstrip is at the foot of the garden.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

We stayed here as part of our honeymoon and can thoroughly recommend the Glenforsa Hotel. Check-in was brilliant, welcoming, friendly and informal. We were showed to our room, offered help with our luggage etc. Our room overlooked the beautiful Sound of Mull and the front lawn replete with half a dozen wild rabbits happily going about their business. The staff were brilliant especially Allison, Keith and the waitress (Mischa I think?) who were cheerful, friendly and helpful at all times. Breakfast was good with enough choice without going overboard. We ate in the restaurant on two nights and were treated to delicious food including local scallops and Argyll lamb. It's the little things which go a long way like taking your drinks through for dinner, opening doors to help when you've enough luggage for a small family to providing a vase for flowers we had with us. If we're ever on Mull again, we'd love to stay here again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Kendal, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2011

Stayed at the Glenforsa August 2010 and had a good stay. At that time I would have given them 4 stars. The only thing I could fault it on was the room being a bit pricey at £90

I then took some friends back in June 2011 telling them what a wonderful place it was. How embarrassing! The evening meal was badly presented, tasted awful and to cap it all when I asked for an extra scoop of ice cream was told it would cost an extra £1.75.

The staff were not as welcoming the second time round and all in all, considering they were going to take the best part of £240 for the night, we would have been better of getting a taxi and finding alternative accommodation as we flew in. If there is a next time this is what we will probably do.

I e mailed them with my complaint but heard nothing back, which tells me they haven’t taken any notice. This in turn tells me they’re not going to improve.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
DannyboyScotland, Owner at The Glenforsa Hotel Mull, responded to this review, August 6, 2011
Although I was not present at the time, I was informed about this gentleman's complaint upon my return by a still obviously upset waitress some 24 hours later.
After appearing to enjoy their meal one member of a group of guests demanded extra ice cream with his dessert, upon being informed that there would be a charge of £1.75 for a portion of imported Swiss ice cream he proceeded to harangue our young waitress much to the apparent embarrassment of his colleagues and the discomfiture of other diners.
Had I been present, I would of happily presented this gentleman with his ice cream and hopefully spared all present from an unpleasant situation.
A quick glance at the (unedited) guest book on our website will provide an indication of the normal guest experience at The Glenforsa Hotel.
I have received an email from this gentleman, but I am frankly at a loss as to how to respond.
Lancashire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2011

The Glenforsa's USP is that it adjoins Mull's grass airstrip next to the sea, giving fabulous views from the bar - and the odd aviation bore droning on about propellors and wind speeds etc. Rooms are comfortable but dark due to the log cabin design and as they don;t let in much light they don't let in much heat either.

Cooked breakfast was good but limited for non carnivores. We didn;t use the restaurant but did eat in the bar. I had some delicious mackerel that had been swimming happily in the sea a couple of hours earlier but recommend avoidance of the venison burgers - I heard 3 different people complain that they were inedible. I felt rather sorry for the poor Eastern European waitress who obviously had no authority to do anything other than apologise while the owners hid behind the bar and pretended everything was fine, which rather put me off eating there again.
All in all I'd give it a B-

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Glenforsa, Owner at The Glenforsa Hotel Mull, responded to this review, August 4, 2011
Hi Tidyskate,

I had intended to reply to your review but decided first to check your reviews of other hotels you have stayed at.
So, other than pointing out that our 'Eastern European' waitress is called Mischa and she comes from Czechoslovakia I don't really have anything else to say.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

We stayed at The Glenforsa hotel for two nights having read the reviews on Trip Advisor. I would certainly recommend this hotel mostly for the spectacular views from the bar and restaurant area. The food was very nice and on leaving our phone charger behind, after calling them to enquire, the owners not only found this for us, but also posted it back to our home address. Amazing service!!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Perth, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2011

We were one of five couples who were giving evening concerts in various parts of the island. The hotel had been informed prior to our arrival that we would not be having any evening meals but when we arrived we very much got the impression that the lady at the desk was far from happy about that. She certainly didn't give us a warm welcome.
The corridor to our room and the room itself was cold on arrival. The lady who showed us to our room switched on the heater but we felt that, as we were expected, it should have been switched on earlier.
Two of the couples had problems with their shower - no water. Admittedly the problem was rectified during the day after the management had been informed, but I see that a review from last year mentions the same problem! Another couple had to complain about a loose toilet seat, again this was repaired but surely should have been noticed during cleaning prior to the guest's arrival. None of our rooms had a television. As said in one of the previous reviews, we felt there were not enough staff. On the final morning at breakfast my husband and I helped ourselves to juice and cereal, which we ate, and then sat waiting for 20 minutes before being asked about our requirements for tea/coffee, toast and cooked breakfast.
Our toilet did not flush properly. The cistern filled and seemed to empty OK but it took many flushes for matter in the bowl to be cleared. One morning we flushed it 7 times, having to keep waiting each time between flushes for the cistern to fill again. The norm was 5 flushes before matter cleared. Water at the hand basin was hot early in the morning but soon became tepid.
One evening we returned to the hotel at 10.45 and as soon as we entered our room realised that we had left something in the car. My husband went to fetch it but found that the corridor and reception area were all in darkness and the front door was locked - surely rather early for that?
I notice that a reply from the hotel to a previous review says that guests are ALWAYS asked if they had an enjoyable stay. NONE of the five couples in our party was asked this.

Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends

Been to The Glenforsa Hotel Mull? Share your experiences!