“Disappointed” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Craignure
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I am not a fussy traveller but this hotel disappoints me for many unpleasant experience that outweighs the good ones.

Room:
I booked for a double room. My husband and I checked into a room that was different from the room number we were initially assigned to (I could see it from their list!). As we walked into the room, we were surprised to see two single beds in the room instead of a double. Went to the reception to inquire and was told that the hotel did not have any double rooms available and we could change to a double room the next day. Our booking was made on 25th March, that is 1 and half month in advance which means there is no excuse for the hotel to not give us a double room.
The room was small and dated. The bathroom is what one find in a Travelodge, low shower pressure and the door difficult to close and lock. It was on a lower ground floor, right next to an entrance door so sleeping is one difficult task to do. The room is far from being sound proof - we could hear people slamming the door, the guests in the room above us walking, talking, making tea/coffee, moving on the bed, it was so annoying!
The next morning, I went to the reception to complain to the receptionist. She was dismissive and was nowhere near friendly! She said that she could just get the housekeeping to push the beds together and I asked her to inform the housekeeping to do just that and her reply was "You should have told us yesterday". What was she thinking? That hotel guests know that a double room mean 2 single beds pushed together therefore ask for the beds to be pushed together when given a twin room instead? Just not the kind of attitude one expects from a hotel receptionist!
Wifi in the room? It was almost non existence even at the lobby area, what more in the room!

Restaurant:
Beautiful view of the water from the restaurant. Bright, good setting and pleasant ambiance too. We got free 3 course dinner on the first night. I didn't like the main course (fish) I ordered. Tasteless and the flesh was rather dry. We were seated at 7.45pm and were only served main at 930pm! Yes, it was a very busy night but it's the May holiday, the hotel could have expected this and be prepared - hire more staff! The dessert was lovely - would be better if enjoyed before 1015pm!
The breakfast was good and very satisfactory. Good selection and we could order from the menu too.
Our dinner on the second night was fantastic. We ordered mussels and t-bone steak and both portions were huge and tasty (very tasty actually). Glad we didn't order starter otherwise we might not have enjoyed the food as much. We very much enjoyed the dinner.
Staff at the restaurant were very friendly. Very good service rendered despite being very busy!

Spa:
Probably the one thing I enjoyed the most during the stay, other than the dinner on the 2nd night. Clean, cosy and relaxing atmosphere. Good and friendly therapist who knows what she is doing. There was an issue about cancellation (9 hours notice) and the hotel wanted to charge 50% in which I could understand for the reason given by the spa reception but I think it would be helpful to have the cancellation policy written on the spa brochure or mentioned in the hotel's cancellation policy. The hotel should not rely on the general policy and dragging the spa into the policy when it is not clearly stated in the hotel's cancellation policy i.e this policy also applies to our spa.
Despite the issue, I had a great time at the spa and very much enjoyed the experience. I just felt that it is rather unfair for the hotel to write on their terms and condition that guests should book their spa 7 days in advance to avoid disappointment but does not mention the hotel's cancellation policy also applies to their spa.

I wanted to give this hotel a 3 star rating as I loved the spa treatments, enjoyed our second dinner, and discount vouchers but I decided to give 2 star instead for the unacceptable attitude of that one lady receptionist, the tired, small, thin walled and floored room, and the unclear cancellation policy on the spa.

Room Tip: Insist for a room on the reception level if you want to have a decent sleep.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Gen M, General Manager at Isle of Mull Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write and post a review in connection with your recent stay at the Hotel. Overall it appears you did enjoy your stay with us and there were many positive aspects that you comment on. Where it appears we got it wrong, I do sincerely apologise. We do only have Wi-Fi in public areas, and this is what is advertised, regretfully one of the downsides of our fantastic island location is difficulties with mobile signals and wi fi, and I am sorry if this was an inconvenience to you. I have considered your comments on the cancellation policy for the Spa and will be looking into how we can make changes to this as and where required. Thank you for your feedback which is indeed welcome and all feedback, good and bad is useful to us and enables us to consider how we can make changes and improvements for the future. Thanks again and I hope you will consider a return visit in the future, Kind Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
Forres Morayshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

Just returned from a weekend break, booked very last minute. We had a nice relaxing time. Arrived in heavy rain, and first impressions were that the hotel was a bit dull - decor wise - but felt quite welcoming and we weren't disappointed. Staff were all delightful and helpful. Nothing was too much trouble, they even moved our bags when we were moved to a new room (had booked a double and got a twin, and they insisted on moving us). The hotel was spotlessly clean. Meals were excellent and service was very prompt. The spa experience was nice; just a shame the hot tub wasn't working. The gardens really need some TLC..but the view is spectacular. Also would be nice to have some entertainment in the bar area perhaps at weekends....Overall we had a very relaxing stay. We brought our dogs and they enjoyed it too. Would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: worth paying bit extra for a sea view...!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for writing your review in connection with your recent stay with us, and I am so pleased that you enjoyed your time with us. Sincere apologies that the hot tub was out of action during your stay, we always work as quickly as possible to make repairs, however we cannot always fix things as quickly as possible due to our island location. I do hope that you will return soon and make use of this fantastic facility, Kind Regards
Oban, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

My partner and i have just returned from a lovely overnight stay at the hotel. As soon as we arrived we were made to feel welcome by the staff. Our room was the furthest away in the hotel but that was not an issue for us. The room was a brilliant size, immaculately clean and very comfortable. The television in the room was not of great signal but again that was not an issue. The bathroom was lovely and clean the powerful shower was fabulous. We took advantage of the swimming pool and spa which were all great and clean facilities. We chose to go out for dinner but had a lovely breakfast in the restaurant this morning. My partner is vegetarian and the staff couldn't of done more to go out their way to ensure he got a hot breakfast. Throughout the staff service was brilliant and very helpful. We will definitely go back

Room Tip: When booking a room ask for a room not far from reception or like us you might find yourself at the...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Many thanks for taking the time to write and post a review following your stay with us. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you indeed for the lovely feedback. We hope you will make a return visit soon, Kind Regards
Cupar, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013 via mobile

We have stayed at the hotel with our 7 yr old daughter a few times over the past few years and we have always left happy and revitalized! This time however, we travelled with our daughter and 6 month old baby and had to be moved rooms as at first we were given a room at the other end of the hotel (50 something) and it was such a trek (down 2 flights of stairs, a hike along a windy corridor and then up a further flight of stairs!) This was totally impractical with a baby and pram. I have to say though that we were very disappointed in the standard of the room, it probably hasn't been used / aired in a while. It didn't even have a phone and we had to trek all the way back to reception with baby, pram and luggage to complain.

We were given a lovely room closer to the reception.

We also travelled with 2 other families, both of which had 2 young children. We all agreed that overall, (after the initial disappointment) our experience was fantastic. On both evenings, the food from the set menu was excellent and very fresh - there was no need to pay extra for the a la carte menu. The staff were very friendly and went out of their way to help, we were particularly thankful to the Philapino lady who was fantastic with our children.

We also got a packed lunch on both days and I have to say we were impressed with the standard of this too! Fresh sandwiches, made to order with a huge choice of fillings, fresh fruit, juice, crisps, biscuits..

The spa was clean, despite it being quite busy - probably due to the time of year (school Easter holidays) and the staff were friendly and helpful (gave by daughter a shot of a pair of goggles as she'd left her own in the room!) The hot tub only had one jet working but we were told this was being fixed.

Our experience was that - if you are not happy about something - bring it up with the staff! They will address it. From our own experience and from reading other reviews, there does seem to be big differences in room standards throughout the hotel and this is something the hotel may need to address. We will definitely book again.

• Stayed April 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write and post a review about your recent stay at the Hotel. I am so pleased to see that you all enjoyed your stay and thank you for the lovely comments. You are so right with your comments, that if we have not got something right, please do bring it to our attention at the time to give us an opportunity to put it right there are then. We are delighted that we were able to do this for you and solve the issue so that your stay with us was enjoyable we hope to see you again soon, Kind Regards
Hersham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013 via mobile

Small rooms except family rooms with double and single when I only booked a double. The ground floor room had a large window which would not shut properly so couldn't be locked, mildew round frames and rotting frames. This plus very tired furnishings and very loud taped music in public rooms made a bad impression. The staff tried to help but we walked out and found accommodation elsewhere!

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. I am sorry that your first impression meant that you did not stay with us and try all of our facilities. First impressions are important and we do try to ensure that these are good and welcoming. We appear to have failed for you and I can only apologise, Kind Regards
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

The hotel was clean inside, the pool was nice, the staff were friendly and the breakfast was delicious! Unfortunately the foot spa was broken so couldn't be used. They are very dog friendly. Nice rooms, lovely view.

• Stayed April 2013
Thank you for your review and feedback and I am so pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay with us. Apologies about the foot spa during your stay, this was a matter out of our control and every effort was made to repair as quickly as possible. We do hope that you will make a return visit soon, Kind Regards
Stirling, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

We have just returned from a fanastic 4day break at the Isle of Mull hotel & Spa. I had worried after booking due to very good price (almost to good to be true) and few comments on here! Hence i feel the need to leave a review. The hotel is dated from the outside and has a strange labyrinth type layout but is to a clean and tidy standard inside. There is a lovely lounge area over looking the bay and a quiet lounge downstairs (bar open i assume during busy times) which has a door close by that enables access to patio and lovely garden area ....with lots of places inluiding frog pond for children to explore (my 2yr old loved it!) View of all public rooms inc dinning over look the bay, castle and to my childrens delight the ferry coming and going :o) the staff were amazing with our children (1yr & 2yr) arriving to their own napkins made as boats etc was just thrilling for them :o) The childrens meals were all fresh made versions of classic kids meals and were to a fantastic standard as was the adult meals ....with a change of menu each night ....i found myself getting excited to see what amazing choices we would have each evening. In a previous life (before babies ;o) i have been fortunate enough to stay in amazing places such as the Balmoral in Edinburgh, Chateau Lake louise and always judge a place by location, cleanliness and service via cost. I feel that this hotel, fantastic staff, fab food and beautiful spa offer more than enough via the cost of staying....we are already planning a return visit (hopefully with parents in tow ...so we can better enjoy full use of amazing spa facilities ;o)

Room Tip: we were in room 107....it was very last room in the building on bottom floor...was a looong walk - b...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Many thanks for taking the time to write and post a review following your stay with us. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future, Kind Regards

Been to Isle of Mull Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!