“Oh! Dear! :(” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Craignure
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Oh! Dear! :(”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Fantastic location, that's brilliant, but this hotel so let us down on our trip here. On our stay here, it became a comedy of errors!!
1. We didn't like our room we were given, so the receptionist kindly gave us another, which we were happy enough with, however, on getting ready to go for dinner on our first evening there, a couple opened our room door, and said that our room was there's! On explanation, this couple had been given the same numbered room key's to our room! Seconds later, Reception called our room, and said that we were in the wrong room, I then said if this was correct, then how did I get into the room?? Apology accepted to me.
2. In all the time we stayed there, 3 days in total, our room never properly locked and when it did, it wouldn't open! Rather frustrating having to have staff open it all the time.
3. Breakfasts are nice, they're buffet style. However, dining in the evening, was an experience. On first evening there, we had paid for our meal, as this was the deal. This gave us a choice of meals from a set menu, which was rather basic. We were told me could choose from the A La Carte Menu at a reduced price, as we were residents. Great we thought, but every dish we chose on this, we were told it was not available, and believe me, this was extensive.
4. After our first night there, we went out and about next day sight seeing. We returned around 16:30 p.m, to fight to open the room door again, and on entry found our room had never been cleaned, nor bed made, and no fresh towels etc. Ended up doing, and getting this done myself.
5. No Soap in toilet of hotel room. When I asked about this, I was told that this hotel do not provide soap in the bathrooms!! So, I again went and provided this myself.
All in all, we ate in a lovely wee hotel in Mull the rest of our stay, and so did most of the residents who were staying there too, as we all chatted and recognised each other.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
GemahG, General Manager at Isle of Mull Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on trip advisor.

I was disappointed to read your review and learn that you did not enjoy your stay with us; I was also very disappointed that I did not have the opportunity to speak with you during your stay, when we could have rectified the issues raised, we never like to hear of any of our guests leaving us unhappy.

On investigating the points raised we found that the error came due to the guests you refer too taking the wrong key, the receptionist realised right away, as she was aware that you were occupying that room, she then tried contacting the guests to inform them that they had gone to the wrong room and at the time thought she was speaking to the other guests and not yourself on the telephone, we are terribly sorry this happened and I appreciate this is of no consolation to yourself.

We are also sorry you seemed to have trouble with your door lock, we have logged this with maintenance and now have a rolling programme in place to ensure any faults are immediately rectified.

All our menus are done to company standard and generally we receive positive feedback, we are again sorry if you felt the Table d Hote dinner menu was basic, we do offered a varied choice throughout our menus, unfortunately our a la carte menu is also hugely popular and we can on occasion run out of items.

We investigated as to why your room was not serviced and checked back on the house keeping lists and found this to be logged as having a hush, hush sign place on the door, we can only offer our sincerest apologies if this was not placed on by yourselves, housekeeping would have only been too happy to service your room. I am also completely baffled that the receptionist said we did not offer soap; this is a basic and something that you should have been provided with right away.

Once again I would like to thank you for your review, and express my deepest regret and apologies that your stay with us was not as enjoyable as it could have been, I do hope that you will give us the opportunity to reinstall your confidence in our hotel in the future.

Kindest Regards
Gemah

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Only had a short one night stay here on a recent trip to Mull, but my experience was a very positive one. The hotel is in a wonderful location overlooking the Sound of Mull, and only a short walk from the ferry terminal in Craignure. The staff were very friendly and helpful and my twin room was generous in size and tastefully furnished. Our evening meal was delicious, and cooked to perfection. Best of all though, was savouring the view of sunrise over the bay from my bedroom window. Sadly we didn't have time to explore the Spa area, and the famed red stags never paid a visit to the gardens whilst we were there, but I would happily return for another stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
GemahG, General Manager at Isle of Mull Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on our hotel.

We were pleased to read that you had an enjoyable short stay with us, and I have passed your kind comments on to the team, we are sorry the stags did not make their appearance and hope that we can welcome you back to Mull in the not too distant future.

Peoria, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

I liked this hotel and the rooms were very sunny and clean and nice. The view of the water was beautiful. The meals that were served here were excellent and well done. The atmosphere was cozy and warm. The staff was very efficient and helpful.

Room Tip: Get a room with a water view, it is very tranquil.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
GemahG, General Manager at Isle of Mull Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor.

We are pleased you enjoyed your short stay with us and very much hope to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Scotland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

We stayed at Isle of Mull Hotel for one night on a short visit to Mull (having got the train to Oban and ferry across). Overall I think the hotel is OK - not particularly attractive from the outside, however it does have a nice reception / lounge area with deep sofas and the views out to sea are amazing.

Our room was slightly disappointing given the cost. It had a lovely view however the bathroom could do with some upgrading (eg mildew around bath / shower tiles). We didnt eat at the hotel, so can't comment on the restaurant (breakfast was fine). Also we didnt use the spa facilities, so cant comment on them.

My main feeling is that the hotel has potential but, in addition to some room maintenance, it needs to improve the training of staff - as they don't seem to be proactive / or customer service focused. For example we arrived on the 12ish ferry and walked to the hotel. On arrival we were told our room wasn't ready and check-in was 3pm. So we got a drink and sat down on the sofas in reception to read our books and wait for our room (it had started raining outside). We were the only guests in the reception / lounge area. After an hour we decided to get the bus just before 3pm into Tobermory - so I went to the reception to see if we could leave our overnight bags somewhere safe as we didnt want to wait 'til gone 3pm to check in (as that would mean the next bus we could get to Tobermory was nearly 5pm). I was informed that our room was now made up and we could check in. Now, we had been sitting about 20 yards from the reception desk for over an hour and were the only guests around and the receptionist knew we were waiting for our room to be ready. It would have been good if the receptionist had actually prompted us to say that the room was made up and ready for us... unfortunately this didn't even cross her mind. Also when we went to leave our room we spent about 5 mins trying to lock the door and it just didn't lock, so I went to the reception to say we had a problem with the lock. The receptionist said that we shouldn't use the key to lock the door but press the button on the inside of the door and then pull the door to. Again it would have been so simple to have been told this when we checked in (or to have a sign on the inside of the door), but no thought had been given to it.

So benefits of this hotel are the views and proximity to the ferry. Also spa / swimming pool if you want to use this. However I think it needs some maintenance on the rooms and improved customer service to really shine. Also if you want to go to Tobermory, and don't have transport with you, the hotel location isn't very convenient. It is easy to get the bus to Tobermory in the daytime, but these stop early evening and the only way back to the hotel is a taxi (approx £40). So, whether this hotel is suitable for you depends on what type of break you are looking for...

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh, Scotland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

This may be the best large hotel on Mull but we were left pretty disappointed.

The hotel is very dated in too many places and feels like there has been no money spent on it for years. The downstairs bar was closed so we had to sit in the main lobby which totally lacked atmosphere except for the bizzare selection of over-noisy music.

We were kept awake at night and woken up early because of the paper-thin walls and guests talking loudly in the corridors.

The staff were OK but really need a little more training in service. Quite why we would want to book our table for breakfast when we were going for dinner was beyond me. The food was adequate but not exceptional.

The pity is that the Crerar hotels in Oban and Inveraray are much nicer. We were expecting more of the same. It really wasn't worth what we paid and I doubt we would return.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
GemahG, General Manager at Isle of Mull Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 16, 2012
Dear Guests,

Thank you for posting a review of your short stay with us, we are always appreciative of the time in which our guests take to leave us their feedback, as you will appreciate our guests views are important to us.

Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I recently had a two night stay at this hotel - second time we have stayed here. We took our dog - dogs are allowed in the bedrooms at a cost of £10 per stay but not in the dining or reception areas. We had a couple of small niggles (see below), but overall a wonderful, restful break and were very well looked after by the staff. Nothing was too much trouble, and every request was met with promptness and a smile. When we mentioned being up early on the Sunday to catch an early ferry, the night staff very kindly served us a continental breakfast in the hotel dining room 45 minutes before the 'official' start of breakfast that day.
We had fun using the pool, which is a good size and not crowded - towels provided. Our twin room was comfortable and had beautiful views across the hotel gardens to the sea and hills of the mainland beyond, we saw a lovely sunrise. Dinners in the dining room were enjoyable and it's great that diners are offered a jug of drinking water as well as the chargeable drinks. The soups in particular were very good, as was the cooked breakfast we had on our second day.
We had a ground floor room and on our second night we did notice some noise overnight from the guests in the room above ours - creaking when they walked about, and muffled talking. I would suggest better soundproofing next time the hotel is refurbished, and in the meantime ear plugs for light sleepers on the ground floor! Also, the wi-fi internet access could be improved - I had to do some work on a laptop during my stay, and it was a nuisance having a slow wi-fi connection and having to work in the public reception areas rather than in the quiet of my room. On the plus side, wi-fi is free at the hotel - but personally I would have preferred to pay a small charge for it in return for receiving a faster, more reliable connection!
Overall we had a great time and would like to thank the staff for their kindness and hard work. We will definitely be returning.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
GemahG, General Manager at Isle of Mull Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip advisor.

We were pleased you enjoyed your second visit with us and have passed your kind comments on to the team here at the hotel.

We do look forward to seeing you again in the near furture.

Kindest Regards
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

I stayed here with two family members on a girls short break. We booked through a third party agent and managed to get a great deal - 3 nights dinner, bed and breakfast for £135 per person. I'd been looking to go to Mull the year previously and had come across this hotel and its polarized reviews before. But the others in my party liked the idea of the Spa and had us booked up before I realised before it was 'that' hotel. So I came with low expectations, thinking here we go, I'll just try and make the best of it. But I have to say I was pleasantly surprised.

Being honest the outside of the hotel needs seriously updated, its a very grey 60's almost council house looking building, and I had thought that it was some sort of mistake when we pulled up outside at first. But going inside to the reception and bar area it had a real warmth to it. Squashy tweedy couches that you sink into. The receptionist seemed to be surprised to see us, and didn't give the impression that she knew what was going on - that said she got us our keys and we trooped along to the room.

We were staying at the far end of the hotel, nearest the spa and pool area. The rooms were simple and cosy with everything that we needed. We had no issues with the cleanliness, it was all very good.

We made our way to the spa to see what the treatments were and if we could book ourselves in. The spa is adjoined with the pool, which also doubles as the community pool. This is something I had read previous to going and thought..great its going to be busy with children all the time. But it was deadly quiet most of the time, at its busiest I counted 3 people other than myself. Bliss. The spa offered lots of the usual expensive treatments, all of which were out of my price range, but they also offer manicures, pedicures, facials and massages at a lower price. They don't have a price list for this, and won't tell you about it unless you specifically ask. Myself and one of my party went for manicures and the other for a sort of taster of 3 treatments (ex foliating scrub, massage, and something else..?) The service was really great, the staff are lovely and chatted away with us. The only shame about this was that the polish that they use is a bit rubbish, both of our manicures had mostly chipped off within 3 hours and completely gone within 12! It would be great to see more treatments at a lower price point, I know we would have booked again if there was more choice, and a price list with details of what the treatments were.

As for the food, dinner is very basic if you are a vegetarian like me! On the first night I had tomato pasta that was exactly like the sort of pasta you would get from the ikea canteen..a sort of bland watery sauce..yum... The other nights proved a bit better, but please have a re-think with that pasta, it was just nothing, not even any herbs! Other nights proved better with brie and cranberry tarts and wonderful soups. The rest of my party seemed happy with the dinners, and I have to say it was pretty amazing considering the price we had paid for our stay! Breakfasts were something worth getting up for, buffet style with lots of options (although no veggie sausages sadly!) But the chef was lovely and made me up some mushrooms.

Some things that could be improved would be access to the beach, we never made it down owing to the impassable mud river pathway and the exterior of the hotel. There had been improvements made to the render around the pool end of the hotel - this would vastly improve the first impression of the place if it was done right around.

Overall I have to say that the service we received was very good, staff were friendly and we all really enjoyed our stay. The views are excellent and worth the money alone. Would recommend this place the others as a good value place to stay on the island, but perhaps only if you get it as part of a special deal.

Room Tip: Rooms down stairs suffer from noise of the people above, so if you plan on laying in don't bothe...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guests,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review on our hotel.

We were pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us and we have taken on board all of the comments and I have also passed on your kind comments to the team.

We do hope to welcome you back soon.

Gemah

Been to Isle of Mull Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!