“Nice but average B&B” 3 of 5 stars
Review of An Cuan

An Cuan
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bowmore
An Cuan
You added An Cuan to your Saves list
Jamieson Street, Bowmore PA437HL , Scotland   |
Ranked #9 of 13 Bowmore B&B and Inns
Ludwigsburg, Germany
“Nice but average B&B”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

An Cuan is ok. The room we stayed in was very small. There was no space to leave a suitcase on the floor opened up. Shower and toilet is not seperated by a curtain and is very small, so when you have a shower, the whole bathroom is wet!
Breakfast was absolutely simple; the breakfast room rather cold; there is only one table for all the guests, so it might get crammed and packed at the table.
The host greeted us on our arrival, but we did not see him ever again (and we were there for 3 nights!). We only saw his not-really-motivated person helping in the kitchen. So it was absolutely unpersonal. Fergus did have nice flowers in the house though.
All in all: 100 pounds for the room is a farce! I would therefore not recommend it; Sorry!

Room Tip: I have no idea, sorry.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Cologne, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

This B&B is located in the middle of the small town Bowmore. Everything is within walking distance. Our twin bed room was fine although a bit cramped. The bathroom, on the other hand, was large and had a very good shower (hot and good pressure). The walls of the rooms are thin; we could hear another guest snoring. The B&B has a large living room with a dining table where breakfast is served. It can get squeezed at the table when several guests have breakfast at the same time. Breakfast itself was good, but one could taste that the cooked breakfast had been prepared and kept warm for a while. The living room also has a sofa and armchairs. It is a nice place to sit but unfortunately the room was not pre-heated and therefore pretty cold. Overall, a good place to stay but overpriced.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Glasgow, Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

This is a comfortable B&B that feels more like staying in someone's house. The room I had was rather small but very well furnished with antique furniture and a lovely view over an extensive back garden. A nice touch was the jug of fresh milk on the hall table to go with the tea/coffee facilities in the bedroom. The couple in the next room had a young baby but I never heard a thing. The lounge/breakfast room has comfortable chairs and sofas for an evening read and, for breakfast, a communal table where the guests got so involved with swapping tales over an excellent breakfast that I was nearly late for my ferry.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Lund, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

this establishment really deserves a great rating. The location is great in the center of Bowmore less than 50m down the road from the towns local pub at Bowmore Hotel.

Great breakfast where they can offers you about everything including traditional full Scottish breakfast.

I had told Fergus ( the host ) that I wanted a room on the front with sea view, so upon arrival he let us freely choose which room we liked the best, nice gesture. Tea and coffee at the room, nice toiletries, extremely clean and tidy, comfy beds and all around very confortable. I would definitely stay here if I go to Islay again.

If you're choosing between Bowmore/ Port Ellen when going to islay, i would choose Bowmore since it at least has more than one option for dinner. lovely but very small town ( 600 pers? )

Room Tip: The four rooms are very similiar, but the view is better in the two front rooms.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Antwerp, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at An Cuan. Fergus is a fantastic and welcoming host, and breakfast was scrumptuous. Best porridge I ever had! The bedrooms are clean and stylish though on the smaller side. Walls could be a bit thicker though, as I had noisy neighbours. Bathrooms were immaculate, and nice detail was the toiletries made on the island. We also very much enjoyed the tea and coffee facilities, and the guest lounge where we could sit and read, or play some boardgames. I would most definitely recommend this B&B!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Chepstow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

A friend and I stayed here during a whisky tasting tour. The welcome was warm, the rooms are very stylishly decorated with a mixture of period furniture and modern electronics.

Breakfast was first rate (I love a tattie scone) and it's ideally situated to enjoy Bowmore.

My room (number 1 I think) had a slightly more spacious wet room than my friend's (he had 3 if I recall) but both were very nice indeed.

The owner, Fergus, is an absolute delight and a first class host. I will return !

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

An Cuan is a centrally located base with an extremely welcoming, friendly and knowledgeable host. This is a warm and comfortable 18th. century house with immaculately presented rooms - bedrooms are furnished with flat-screen TVs and local Islay toiletries are provided. Wifi is available. Substantial breakfasts with porage to die for will set you up for the rest of the day.Direach sgoinneal! (really terrific!)

Room Tip: Back bedrooms overlook beautiful garden.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Been to An Cuan? Share your experiences!