“Center of Town. Center of Islay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Lochside Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bowmore
Lochside Hotel
You added Lochside Hotel to your Saves list
20 Shore St, Bowmore PA43 7LB, Scotland   |
Ranked #11 of 13 Bowmore B&B and Inns
Cedarburg, Wisconsin
“Center of Town. Center of Islay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Stayed here with a friend while on a Golf Trip....It just so happened to be the Whisky Festival too. David the owner was a terrific host.

The property was simple and clean. The food was good and the bar(s) were pleasant and lively.

I recommend a stay here....

Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

I really wanted to give the Lochside a good review. The first time I ate there was in 1971 and I have very fond memories of sandwiches for lunch - it was all I could afford. Roll forward to 2013 and the staff were lovely, however....... the food took forever to arrive and I mean forever. I had the haddock which was very small, overcooked and much more batter than fish. The salad was basic, the chips were good. No one was tempted to order a desert. I was very disappointed and I doubt I will be tempted to go back again.

Howden, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

We popped in to have lunch in this hotel as we were in Bowmore and it was well worth a visit; if you go through the bar area you find yourself in a large dining area which has views out to the sea and it is a nice place to while away an hour or so. My partner and I both had the macaroni cheese, something I always find the Scots do extremely well and this was no exception. We were served by a lovely lady a large plate of steaming hot macaroni cheese that tasted of cheese and was quite delicious. If this is a reflection of the rest of their menu then I would certainly go back again for another meal! Well done Lochside, good service, lovely location and reasonably priced food and drink!

Falkirk, Scotland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

As always Islay was beautiful and soaked in sunshine. Been for 38 years, almost every year, and it never loses its appeal. This year, for the first time, we (3 golfers) stayed at the Lochside. I cannot praise it and the staff enough. If I could give it/them more than 5 stars I would. The rooms were comfy, the food was too good, but the staff absolutely made it - my thanks again and best wishes to David and Heather. See you next year.

PS. The bedrooms could do with a wee bit of decorative TLC. Whilst the Machrie isn't the Machrie, the Lochside's owner might want to put his hands in his pockets. Now is the time for the Lochside to make a real name for itself. It has the potential and the people in situ already.

Kingsbridge
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

We were extremely disappointed with our stay at the hotel. We have travelled around the UK a great deal in the last few years and my Husband also travelled on business for 35+ years, so we are quite accustomed to what to expect. However, we did not anticipate staying in a room with such a tired and tatty bathroom - and paying an over inflated price.

On arrival, reported a dusty TV shelf and open smoke detector - very quickly sorted out. The seal at the bottom of the shower screen was black with gunge and there was mildew on the join of the shower and bath. I resolved the seal myself by removing it (a very simple task - which I frequently do here at home) and soaking it in warm water and using a cleaner to remove the mildew (as much as I could). It was really disgusting and made me wonder what cleaning was done. The toilet roll holder was loose on the wall and the toilet roll kept falling out. The plug chain had several lengths knotted together.

If this wasn't bad enough, on Thursday morning we went into breakfast and sat at a table in the window. There were three other tables occupied - all who had been served with their cooked breakfast. By the time we had eaten our cereal and made our tea, the duty member of staff arrived and told us off for sitting at a table laid for three and made a great fuss of re-laying another table with the few items necessary from our spare place without greeting us or asking if we would like anything further (which she eventually did after bringing toast for another table).

There are also issued with the food. Whilst some of the dishes are well prepared and delicious, there are others that are not to standard. My husband has the Islay Scallops which arrived swimming in a bowlful of saffron sauce (which was apparently delicious) - one third of the quantity would have been sufficient for it was not a soup but a main course. On Thursday, I ordered the Steak Pie which was a dish full of (admittedly tender) beef but there was absolutely no sauce or gravy and the quantity was enough for 2 (and I have a good appetite). The pastry, obviously not cooked on the meat, was burnt on the bottom and inedible. My husband had ordered the starter of pear, walnut and blue cheese salad. This was a huge bowlful - far too much for a starter even if it was very tasty. We have since learnt that the chef has left to go to another hotel!

Islay and Jura are wonderful places to visit so suggest you research the available hotels.

Room Tip: Don't know what the other rooms are like but we were in room 5 which overlooked the street and t...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013 via mobile

Booked our trip to Islay as a surprise for my partner's 50th and had a throughly enjoyable stay at the Lochside Hotel. Rooms could do with some TLC but were cleaned daily and ours was very spacious. Breakfast was freshly cooked and with a good selection. During our 3 night stay we ate in the restaurant twice where the food was delicious, large portions and locally sourced produce and had a few wee drams from the fantastic Whisky Bar! We were made to feel very welcome by the staff and they did a great job in looking after us throughout our stay despite some busy nights in the restaurant! If you can't book a room and are staying in Bowmore definitely book lunch or dinner at the Lochside as well worth the visit!

• Stayed April 2013
Keith, Scotland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013 via mobile

I was here with an international group of 15. Zambians to sweds to Fins to Austria and a lad from Banchory . Mainly Whisky guys. Great service good food comfy beds ( everybody said so) . But lots of Whisky but from islay not alot others to compare the local brews too. Also fabulous staff even in January possibly the quietest time .

• Stayed January 2013

Been to Lochside Hotel? Share your experiences!