“5 Star” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Lochside Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bowmore
Lochside Hotel
You added Lochside Hotel to your Saves list
20 Shore St, Bowmore PA43 7LB, Scotland   |
Ranked #11 of 13 Bowmore B&B and Inns
Falkirk, Scotland, United Kingdom
“5 Star”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

As always Islay was beautiful and soaked in sunshine. Been for 38 years, almost every year, and it never loses its appeal. This year, for the first time, we (3 golfers) stayed at the Lochside. I cannot praise it and the staff enough. If I could give it/them more than 5 stars I would. The rooms were comfy, the food was too good, but the staff absolutely made it - my thanks again and best wishes to David and Heather. See you next year.

PS. The bedrooms could do with a wee bit of decorative TLC. Whilst the Machrie isn't the Machrie, the Lochside's owner might want to put his hands in his pockets. Now is the time for the Lochside to make a real name for itself. It has the potential and the people in situ already.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Kingsbridge
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

We were extremely disappointed with our stay at the hotel. We have travelled around the UK a great deal in the last few years and my Husband also travelled on business for 35+ years, so we are quite accustomed to what to expect. However, we did not anticipate staying in a room with such a tired and tatty bathroom - and paying an over inflated price.

On arrival, reported a dusty TV shelf and open smoke detector - very quickly sorted out. The seal at the bottom of the shower screen was black with gunge and there was mildew on the join of the shower and bath. I resolved the seal myself by removing it (a very simple task - which I frequently do here at home) and soaking it in warm water and using a cleaner to remove the mildew (as much as I could). It was really disgusting and made me wonder what cleaning was done. The toilet roll holder was loose on the wall and the toilet roll kept falling out. The plug chain had several lengths knotted together.

If this wasn't bad enough, on Thursday morning we went into breakfast and sat at a table in the window. There were three other tables occupied - all who had been served with their cooked breakfast. By the time we had eaten our cereal and made our tea, the duty member of staff arrived and told us off for sitting at a table laid for three and made a great fuss of re-laying another table with the few items necessary from our spare place without greeting us or asking if we would like anything further (which she eventually did after bringing toast for another table).

There are also issued with the food. Whilst some of the dishes are well prepared and delicious, there are others that are not to standard. My husband has the Islay Scallops which arrived swimming in a bowlful of saffron sauce (which was apparently delicious) - one third of the quantity would have been sufficient for it was not a soup but a main course. On Thursday, I ordered the Steak Pie which was a dish full of (admittedly tender) beef but there was absolutely no sauce or gravy and the quantity was enough for 2 (and I have a good appetite). The pastry, obviously not cooked on the meat, was burnt on the bottom and inedible. My husband had ordered the starter of pear, walnut and blue cheese salad. This was a huge bowlful - far too much for a starter even if it was very tasty. We have since learnt that the chef has left to go to another hotel!

Islay and Jura are wonderful places to visit so suggest you research the available hotels.

Room Tip: Don't know what the other rooms are like but we were in room 5 which overlooked the street and t...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013 via mobile

Booked our trip to Islay as a surprise for my partner's 50th and had a throughly enjoyable stay at the Lochside Hotel. Rooms could do with some TLC but were cleaned daily and ours was very spacious. Breakfast was freshly cooked and with a good selection. During our 3 night stay we ate in the restaurant twice where the food was delicious, large portions and locally sourced produce and had a few wee drams from the fantastic Whisky Bar! We were made to feel very welcome by the staff and they did a great job in looking after us throughout our stay despite some busy nights in the restaurant! If you can't book a room and are staying in Bowmore definitely book lunch or dinner at the Lochside as well worth the visit!

• Stayed April 2013
Keith, Scotland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

I was here with an international group of 15. Zambians to sweds to Fins to Austria and a lad from Banchory . Mainly Whisky guys. Great service good food comfy beds ( everybody said so) . But lots of Whisky but from islay not alot others to compare the local brews too. Also fabulous staff even in January possibly the quietest time .

• Stayed January 2013
Hawthorn, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at Lochside for 3 nights during our short stay in Islay. I enjoyed, very much, the cheeriness of the staff. In particular, the early morning waitress, Zoe, was so amazingly cheery and extremely attentive.

The breakfast offering was of mass proportions and hearty.

The room was a little cramped, the electric toilet scared the lives out of us and the bathroom felt cramped, but we enjoyed the views out cross the Loch and the room had a surprisingly modern TV.

We had a dinner at the restaurant downstairs and the food was delectable, well priced and of great proportions.

The bar was what initially attracted me to Lochside, and the photo doesn't lie! This bar is a dream for a whisky lover, I could have easily ridden out my day one dram at a time, but Islay is picturesque and beautiful.

• Stayed December 2012
Inverness, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

For £65 per night I had expected far better. The room was very small and shabby. The bed uncomfortable and rickety, more what you expect in a hostel or bunkroom. The bathroom was no bigger than a roomy closet, barely enough space to turn around in. The sink was so small that you could barely wash your hands in it and the electric shower oscillated between tepid and too hot. No tower rack, no shelf for your toiletries, an extractor fan that was so loud it could no doubt be heard 3 rooms down from me. The only plus side was that the TV was up to date.

I unfortunately cannot comment on the breakfast because I never had any. After waiting 10 minutes in the dining room (where just 2 others were waiting to be served) I decided to go looking for the staff. After alerting the waitress this way it took another 5 minutes before she came out to serve the other two guests, then walked straight past me again back to the kitchen, then came back 3 later minutes with toast for the other guests, then walked straight past me again and started clearing up things at the other side of the dining room.

About 20 minutes had now lapsed and she still hadn’t taken my order. At this point I decided to leave and on my way out expressed my unhappiness. Her excuse? She was busy making toast.
I wouldn't even expect such lousy service in a hotel for half the price per night!

The local store sold delicious croissants by the way, baked in store and still warm.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Campbeltown, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

As a regular business traveller to Islay, an island I really enjoy, I have always found good evening meals on a budget difficult to come by and until this week, this was one of the worst for quality and quantity.
This week, following an Ileach's recommendation, I gave it a try and was delighted with the standard of the meals, the price, the quality and the quantity. I ate here on two of my three nights on the island and I was pleasantly surprised that the vegetables offered with each meal were different, cooked to my taste and almost equal to my "5 a day". Not only that, but dare I suggest, particularly judging by the potatoes, that it was all locally grown produce as if it came out one's home garden.
Well done Lochside, Bowmore and Islay needs you.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to Lochside Hotel? Share your experiences!