“Simply wonderful” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Stirling, United Kingdom
“Simply wonderful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Visited the Allan Water Cafe as a family of four. I have had the occasional take away from here before and it has always been very good. As expected the food in the cafe was no different; perfectly cooked non greasy full of flavour chips and wonderfully firm fish with a crisp batter. I really can't fault it at all! The Cafe makes its own ice cream which is all very good too. We all had the "fish tea": a small fish and chips (which believe me is big enough!), drink and wee dish of ice cream and the total bill for all of us, leaving feeling stuffed and fully satisfied was about £36. We will definitely be back as I would rather spend £36 on lovely grub here, than in a pub.

Another point of note is that they have great extraction over the fryers. I was wearing a wool jumper. I sniffed it the next morning and there was not a hint of chip shop on it. It is a pet hate of mine to stink of fried food so this was a really nice surprise.

One of my kids is 12 and we were swaying whether she would have the small fish and chips or something from the kids menu. I was a little surprised to see that the only fish option on the kids menu was fish fingers (!).

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Ramsbottom, United Kingdom
“Hit and miss”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

Hit: large fish and chips was excellent. One if the best pieces of fish I've ever had in a chippy. And being from Paisley that's a few. Portions are huge.
Miss: Kids meal. Why in a chippy serving excellent fish is the only kids option deep fried cheap fish fingers.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
london, england
“Good old fashioned cafe and chip shop!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

I visited the Allan Water Cafe for lunch recently. The cafe is in the main street of the charming village of Bridge of Allan. It has a lovely old fashioned facade but a modern interior. It is immaculately clean and on the day we visited had a pleasantly busy feel. I had a "fish tea" which included fish and chips, tea and a scoop of ice cream. The fish was perfectly cooked with a crispy batter and the chips were very tasty, freshlly made, crispy on the outside and soft inside. The ice cream was delicious and there was a tempting choice of several flavours. The Allan Water Cafe provides the classic fish and chip shop experience to a good standard. Service is efficient and friendly. It is hard to find a good fish and chip shop so I really enjoyed my visit. I would recommend to anyone who wants a tasty, old fashioned meal.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Crieff, United Kingdom
“The best ice cream in Scotland!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

This cafe is in the main street in bridge of Allan, a perfect stop off point if you are heading North having visited the Wallace monument or Stirling in general.
We had the fish tea which is fresh fish with lovely batter and freshly made light chips and you get a cup of tea too but the best bit is the little dish of ice cream. It is authentic Italian Ice cream and is delicious. Don't bother with all the fancy flavours just stick with the vanilla and you won't be disappointed.
They also have a Sundae menu with lots the yummiest sundaes ever. The worst bit is deciding which one to have.
This restaurant doesn't look much from the outside( althought the glass extension has made a big difference) but don't let that put you off, it is well worth a visit.
Once you have been once, you'll def want to go back.
I pretend I go to please the kids but i love it just as much myself!
I wish I lived nearer, writing this review has made me want one of these ice creams......NOW!

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Kilmarnock, United Kingdom
“Ice cream & Chips”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Must be the best ice cream I have tasted very good fish teas and good selection of cakes teas and coffee

Visited April 2013