“In need of some TLC.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Royal Hotel & Royal Ivy

You added Royal Hotel & Royal Ivy to your Saves list
Royal Hotel & Royal Ivy
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   55 & 103 Henderson Street, Bridge of Allan, Stirling FK9 4HG, Scotland   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Bridge of Allan
Dundee
“In need of some TLC.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

We stayed after a wedding and were given a reduced rate but even so the room was not value for money. One of the twin beds was at such an angle I was in danger of rolling out of bed. Neither should have been in use. The bathroom had a huge window with clear glass in full view of the car park and the mainstreet which meant you either mooned some unsuspecting passerby or closed the heavy curtains and had to switch the light on - oh for a yard or two of net! The water took more than 10 minutes to run hot because we were at the end of the system. The wedding was great and the food including breakfast very nice but that bedroom was a huge disappointment.

• Stayed July 2013
GlasgowKaty, Manager at Royal Hotel & Royal Ivy, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post this review and for your positive comments in relation to the wedding and breakfast, enjoyed at The Hotel. I am sorry that you had issues with the beds themselves. These bed are 'Zip & Link' and are specifically designed to be either twin or joined to make an emperor sized bed. On this occasion there seems to have been an issue with the linking mechanism which our maintenance team will check and I thank you for bring it to our attention.

We are a listed Victorian building which you will agree is full of character but because of this are unable to change some aspects of the building itself.
Thank you again for your feedback and we do hope you will stay with us again if visiting the area.

Best Regards

The Management at The Royal Hotel & The Royal Ivy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Manchester
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

Bridge of Allan is a lovely spot. This hotel ain't. Expensive and in extremely poor repair. The room I had initial was moldy and the paper was peeling off. During my second night the roof leaked, keeping me awake with dripping from about 4am. The next night I was moved in a room that was in similar repair. All of this is ok, but certainly doesn't justify the price tag. The beds in both rooms were victorian at best with a 2 foot dip in the middle.
For the sake of balance I should highlight that the staff were very friendly and helpful and I actually feel a bit sorry for them.
If youcharge top dollar for a room, you have to maintain the rooms and the buildings. There are no shortage of hotels in the area... Please... Find another one.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post this review and for your positive comments in relation to our staff. We have experienced an issue with a roof contractor which had unfortunately affected some of the rooms. This has now been resolved and the rooms are now being redecorated. I am sorry that this may have detracted from your overall enjoyment but we hope you will stay with us again if visiting the area again and experience the standards of accommodation available at The Royal Hotel.

North Lincolnhire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

We stayed one night on our way to the Hebrides. The hotel room we had, at the front, seemed to have been recently refurbished and was very comfortable, with a huge bed and apparently new fittings throughout.

The hotel accepted our dog which was slightly unexpected as hotels of this type often refuse them. The dog wasn't allowed in the restaurant, understandably, but he was welcome in the bar and the hotel staff set up a breakfast table for us there so we could bring him down to breakfast with us and not leave him unattended in the room.

The staff were all very friendly. On the downside, the bar wasn't particularly well stocked and the lighting in our room was quite dim, it could have done with a brighter bulb or two. Finally, breakfast was adequate at best.

I would visit again.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post this review and for the positive comments about our staff.

We are disappointed that you felt our bar was poorly stocked but will address this issue. As we offer a selection of 25 wines many by the glass a range of 20 malts several choices of vodkas, gin and rums as well, it is important to have them all on show for guests perusal!

We have also reviewed our bedroom lighting and improvements to this are imminent.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel and can offer excellent rates by booking directly with reception, dogs always welcome!

Thanks again for your comments.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

We arrived at the Royal Hotel on Saturday 28th July unloaded the baggage and baby only to be told that we were not staying in that hotel tonight and would be staying in the Royal Ivy along the road, this was not a good start as thats not where we booked and if this was the case why werent we told this on booking....Arr i ived at the Ivy checked in to be told that our daughter who is only just one had been allocated a sofa bed!!! we booked a family room clearly stating that she needed a cot. The hotel was very busy with what looked like a wedding but i have to say we werent affected by the noise at night. The room itself was big and ok if a little dated but definitely did the job,we were told when checking in that breakfast would be served from 8am the following day. Arriving downstairs at 8am with a very hungry 1 year old and mummy and daddy i expected to be met by staff waiting to take our order but no there were no staff to be seen, i then wandered along to the kitchen area only to be met by what i can assume was the night porter who said that the chef and staff would be here soon.....it was now 8.10am!!! breakfast started 10 minutes ago! i requested a high chair as you do to be told they didnt think they had any but would check when staff arrived, we were they told that they would go along to the Royal hotel to see if they could borrow one, the first highchair arrived back about 8.30 and if i said it was 20 years old i'm not joking! on inspecting the dirty chair i realised that the straps were all broken and there was no means on safely strapping our daughter into the seat. I complained to which they returned with another one which was ok. By this time our daughter had been sat on our knees eating breakfast and we were slowly loosing the will to live. Our breakfast order was taken, it arrived and mine looked like a dogs dinner, the bacon was very undercooked (i specifically asked for it well done) and there was one slice.... my husband asked for poached eggs and fried arrived, all small things that kept making the list longer. I could have cooked a better and nicer breakfast myself to which my husband said the same. On checking out of the hotel we were just getting in our car to leave when a waiter ran over to ask if we had paid...its on the booking system why dont you look, yes we have!!! Overall this stay was unsatisfactory and i will be writing to the hotel to complain, this was not cheap and i would definitely not be recommending it to anyone.

Room Tip: Dont stay here
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We are always grateful to receive feedback of any nature as it is so important in the monitoring and improvement to our products and services.

We are, of course, disappointed the Ivy breakfast service has not met your expectations and have reviewed this process and action taken where appropriate to improve . It has clearly impacted your overall stay for which we apologise.

I do hope that should you be back in the area you will consider staying with us again to experience the improvements first hand.

Sanquhar scotland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

Parts of the hotel look as if they have had a 30 minute makeover but other parts are in need of some TLC. For the money they charge I would expect a hotel of a better standard of room and service. We're promised the room would be ready by 12 noon never got in till one and the cleaner was still working in the room. Would I go back probably not.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post this review.

I am sorry that when you arrived at 12 noon your room was not ready for you. As our check out time is not until 11 am, our first guaranteed check in time is 2 pm, however guests can request earlier access times and while we cannot guarantee this we do endeavour to have rooms ready as soon as possible, this can sometimes mean a short wait.

I appreciate that this may have affected your opinion of the hotel and apologise if this has caused you any inconvenience.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

The room was spacious and airy. The en-suite was huge. The double bed was 2 single beds put together. The reception was tedious and unwelcoming. 3 people apparently working but had to wait 15 minutes while it took 3 of them to deal with the family in front of us complaining about their room. On getting back to the hotel at 9.45 that night our room keys could not be found by the boy behind reception who came out the toilet, smelling from the toilet, with his trousers still unfastened. Seemed resentfull off to have to deal with anyone. Went to hotel bar for a drink whilst waiting but was manned by the same staff as the non existent reception. When someone finally came to get our drinks, the till wasn't working so couldn't pay cash and had to go onto bill. Checking out was troublesome also as reception again, although seeming to have several people behind it, none of them seemed to know what they were doing. Nice hotel, very nice room, though bed too big with a gap in the middle as, as mentioned, 2 single beds put together. Staff seemed like they had better things to do or just resented being there.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of The Royal Hotel. The beds we offer are zip & link beds designed to be either twin or joined to make an emperor sized bed. We have had the beds checked and they are in working order and must therefor assume that they were not correctly joined by Housekeeping. We are sorry if this has caused discomfort.

We are also surprised and disappointed to hear your feedback relating to our normally high standards of customer service from our staff. We have fully investigated the points you have raised and these have been addressed.

Thank you once again for taking the time to post your review and we hope you will stay with us the next time you are in the area and experience first hand the quality of product and service expected.

Dumfries, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

We were staying at the hotel as a friend was having her evening reception within the hotel, due to the distance from home I booked a room straight away. I'd checked prices online and it was a bit steep, the only reason I phoned was because the invite mentioned a special reduced rate for wedding guests. The staff member I spoke to must have wondered if I just couldn't grasp basic English, but when she told me it was £50 for both of us, bed and breakfast, it just sounded too good to be true and too much of a discount from the prices so I asked her to clarify this about five times. After confirming that it would be £50 and that would get me and my partner sleeping space and breakfast I passed my card details to allow for a deposit to be taken to confirm the reservation. Done!

Or so I thought - On arrival at the hotel they did not have any note of our reservation but luckily they had one room left but it would be charged at a reduced rate of £80? We didn't have much choice but to accept as it would be a long 2.5 hour journey home with one of us staying sober. Initially the staff member stuck to the £80, I understood her hands were tied but I did not appreciate the comments that she would have to speak to the bride before agreeing a rate. That's just what a bride needs on the morning of her wedding?! Thankfully with the backing of another wedding guest they confirmed that they would charge us the original rate of £50. It really didn't seem like the right hand knew what the left hand was doing.

The reception room in which the wedding was held was stunning and the meal was on the whole very good. The drinks weren't too expensive but one member of the bar staff was particularly facetious which was extremely off putting. That and the ants in the bar we were to use whilst they turned the room after the meal were a bit of an issue.

The room we were given was very spacious but there were a few issues. The bathroom - the glass shelf had been broken and not replaced so there were two metal holders sticking out the wall, this wouldn't normally bother me but I'm assuming the shelf used to hold the water glasses which were now on top of the toilet cistern - surely there is a better place to keep these?! It was clearly a quick whip round instead of a proper clean prior to our arrival as the old toilet rolls were still on top of the cistern (next to the water glasses). A minor issue but if they missed that - what else did they miss?

The bathroom tap wouldn't turn off and dripped throughout the night, echoing through the large bathroom, add to this the creaking of the old hotel's floorboards whenever any resident near to us decided to move - I did not get much sleep. Our massive bed was two singles pushed together which as expected started to separate as the night went on, not that I was getting near the middle of the bed anyway as the single mattress on my side must have been years old and had such a massive dip in the middle it was impossible to lie anywhere except in the dip!

Breakfast was well breakfast, clearly batch cooked and kept warm until ordered.

In conclusion - the wedding was gorgeous but this is not a hotel I'm going to hurry back to and one I'm glad I wasn't paying full rate for. The location of this hotel is fantastic and in a beautiful part of Scotland, it's just a shame they haven't got the basics right.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post this review and for the positive comments on the function rooms and food.

On investigation, it would appear your booking was dealt with by a trainee, this should have been addressed by their mentor. We offer wedding guests a prebooked discount rate of £80 for Bed and Breakfast based on 2 people in a room. The rate you were quoted of £50 was incorrect, but I am happy that we were able to resolve this for you.

Thank you also for highlighting the maintenance issues in your room. These should have been picked up prior to your arrival by our Housekeeping Department and have now been dealt with by our Maintenance Team, but I am sorry that may have detracted from your overall enjoyment of your room.

Thank you once again for your feedback and we do hope that you will consider staying with us again should you be in the area.

Kind Regards,

The Management at The Royal Hotel & The Royal Ivy

Been to Royal Hotel & Royal Ivy? Share your experiences!